The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
    I have watched about 5 episodes of the first season of the Americans. Meh. Pretty predictable so far. Does it get better in the latter half or should I cut my losses now?
    Stick with it. Last season, it was probably the best series on TV.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      On the topic of Making a Murderer, you should all add Central Park Five to your watchlist asap. It is about five black teenagers (~14 at the time) who were rounded up and accused of a brutal rape in Central Park. Mayer Ed Koch and Donald Trump joined in an overwhelming public response blaming the kids and demanding swift and harsh punishment. The entire case was built on confessions. The circumstances were eerily similar to the Brendan Dassey case. Young kids undergoing grueling interrogation without attorneys present ("Just tell us what we need to hear and you can go home"). Later it was proved definitively that they were innocent. Tragic case that makes you forever suspicious of confessions, no matter how detailed and accurate they appear to be.
      Second this. I saw this a couple years ago and it was fantastic.

MaM was very entertaining, I'd imagine plenty of non-Caucasians in the south would laugh at how badly Avery was framed.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

• I liked Making a Murderer. I think Avery is guilty but Dassey needs to go free. Really horrible what happened to Dassey. And evidence was definitely planted against Avery but I think he's still guilty as hell.

This article seemed spot on to me: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...dead-certainty

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          I liked Making a Murderer. I think Avery is guilty but Dassey needs to go free. Really horrible what happened to Dassey. And evidence was definitely planted against Avery but I think he's still guilty as hell.

This article seemed spot on to me: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...dead-certainty
          The New Yorker writer doesn't even get into half of what the documentary directors leave out. It unfortunately discounts the entire point they were trying to make, especially as it concerns the nephew who really does deserve a new trial.

But Avery is guilty as hell.

The Jinx people played it straight, they just happened to have that hot mic moment. The Making a Murderer people did not.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• I read the New Yorker article a couple of days ago but didn't like it much. I recommend this summary by Clay Travis:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...urderer-011016

I agree with all his points. Except that crap at the end about Avery's sister being hot.

People who complain that the show was biased are missing the point. If you couldn't tell 30 minutes into the series that it was going to be favorable to the defense viewpoint, then there is something wrong with you. Go ahead and filter it while you watch. Also, of course they don't put in all the evidence. But they put in plenty to tell the story. I am certain that Avery is guilty, but I still think the cops and prosecutors involved are slimy and unethical and deserve the scrutiny they are getting. And don't get me started about Dassey. He may be guilty too, but the manner in which his case was handled is a travesty. Would be nice if this leads to more legislation protecting kids from overzealous cops and prosecutors.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• aziz's show is surprisingly good
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                aziz's show is surprisingly good
                Definitely got better as it went on. By the end it was pretty good.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The Big Short. Very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                    The Big Short. Very good.
                    That is on Netflix already? Wow.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

That is on Netflix already? Wow.
                      I think she uses cheat codes.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        aziz's show is surprisingly good
                        Your going to really hate the feminism episode if you haven't already got to it.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                          Your going to really hate the feminism episode if you haven't already got to it.
                          It would increase my respect for him. The beginning of the episode was great, the ending not so great.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                            still don't get it bro
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I read the New Yorker article a couple of days ago but didn't like it much. I recommend this summary by Clay Travis:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...urderer-011016

I agree with all his points. Except that crap at the end about Avery's sister being hot.
                              He never claimed that she was hot.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                He never claimed that she was hot.
                                What he claimed was worse, IMO.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X