The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Agreed. All six sketches have been interesting to think about and while I don’t disagree with those summations, I saw All Gold Canyon from an environmentalist angle (which is odd as I’m not much of an environmentalist), watching how humans come in and spoil things--note how the wildlife, even the fish, scatter as the prospector enters, and watch from afar while man does his dirty work. But mankind can’t destroy everything. The old prospector, who’s actually a good man just trying to survive, and does what he can to restore things (e.g., putting most of the eggs back). It’s the most optimistic of the sketches, with good prevailing. Eventually man leaves and the world is restored.

I thought it was a bit heavy-handed with the environmentalism stuff. So much so that I tend to think that was not the true point. One of the reasons I love the Coen brothers is because they avoid the modern trend of hitting you over the head with their moral point via soliloquy or some other contrivance. I think environmentalism was partly the point but I also think it was a rumination on the nature of man and its contrast with the harmony of nature. Waits' character was only looking for his own payday, to be sure, and there was the encounter with the owl, but he also left the meadow pockmarked and scarred and he promised to be back. It was best before he arrived, better after he left, but the inevitability of man's negative influence was clear.

I, too, liked the Gal who got rattled the best, but the final episode was also very good. ON balance, they were all very good and largely so because they do NOT pander.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      the Kominsky Method. Funniest thing on Netflix now.
      You're on probation in my mind ever since you compared Crazy Ex Girlfriend to Flight of the Conchords. Has anybody else seen this?
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
        You're on probation in my mind ever since you compared Crazy Ex Girlfriend to Flight of the Conchords. Has anybody else seen this?
        Yeah, I don't know about geriatric comedies.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Big Lebowski on December 1

Comment

• Thanks for the Buster Scruggs recommendation. Loved it but I am haunted by the tale of Liam Neeson trading his business partner in for a chicken. The fact that the dirty deed was not captured on film made it even more horrifying to me-- the Coen bros reveal not his crime, but instead his cold premeditation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              Thanks for the Buster Scruggs recommendation. Loved it but I am haunted by the tale of Liam Neeson trading his business partner in for a chicken. The fact that the dirty deed was not captured on film made it even more horrifying to me-- the Coen bros reveal not his crime, but instead his cold premeditation.
              It was dark, but I liked it. I agree with the theory that it was a statement on the nature of the movie/entertainment business.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                It was dark, but I liked it. I agree with the theory that it was a statement on the nature of the movie/entertainment business.
                It was also a nice rip on societal taste, as the audience response to literary works like Shakespeare's Sonnet XXIX, Ozymandias, the Gettysburg Address, etc., became increasingly tepid, while people went nuts for a chicken that apparently could perform simple math.

Comment

It was also a nice rip on societal taste, as the audience response to literary works like Shakespeare's Sonnet XXIX, Ozymandias, the Gettysburg Address, etc., became increasingly tepid, while people went nuts for a chicken that apparently could perform simple math.
                  To be fair, that was a pretty cool chicken.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    To be fair, that was a pretty cool chicken.
                    No argument, I'd find myself being torn which performance to attend. I was reminded of this just last night when we attended the SF Opera's performance of "It's a Wonderful Life" (yes, it's been written as an opera). I wanted to love it, but without any catchy up-tunes or dancing chorus lines (or cool chickens), it's much less entertaining for me than the movie. I'm with the masses.

Comment

No argument, I'd find myself being torn which performance to attend. I was reminded of this just last night when we attended the SF Opera's performance of "It's a Wonderful Life" (yes, it's been written as an opera). I wanted to love it, but without any catchy up-tunes or dancing chorus lines (or cool chickens), it's much less entertaining for me than the movie. I'm with the masses.
                      Would it make a difference if you knew that the limbless orator was the same actor that played Harry Potter's annoying and chubby cousin?
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        Would it make a difference if you knew that the limbless orator was the same actor that played Harry Potter's annoying and chubby cousin?
                        That's Dudderkins?!
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          Whoa. That wasn't just arm and leg weight he lost!
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                            Big Lebowski on December 1
                            Bruce Springsteen - Dec 15.
                            Last edited by clackamascoug; 12-01-2018, 11:18 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Watched Buster Scruggs over the weekend. I loved it, but I tend to always love the Coen Bros style. The Liam Neeson one was for sure the toughest to watch and while I liked it, it was my least favorite. I would probably rank them like this (from favorite to least favorite):

1. The Gal Who Got Rattled
                              2. All Gold Canyon
                              3. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
                              4. Near Algodones
                              5. The Mortal Remains
                              6. Meal Ticket

Comment

• Also, I just realized this very morning that the actor who played the limbless thespian in Meal Ticket is Dudley Dursley from the Harry Potter movies.

You guys probably already realized that, but it came as an "whoa!" moment for me!

Comment

Working...
                                X