No announcement yet.

The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had the Surly Joe song from Buster Scruggs stuck in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      I've had the Surly Joe song from Buster Scruggs stuck in my head.
      Haha. That's a great tune!
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I watched Bird Box. Cool little horror flick. Totally worth a watch if you have Netflix, probably wouldn't watch it at the box office, though.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I’m a few episodes into The Kominsky Method and have really enjoyed it. I’m getting old so that might play a part. Alan Arkin and Michael Douglas are great together but the smaller/cameo roles are solid. Danny Divito cracks me up.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• The documentary of the Fyre Festival is so unbelievably awesome. There's a priceless clip showing the reaction of the d-bag attendees as they find out they're staying in hurricane relief tents that were flooded the night before.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
              The documentary of the Fyre Festival is so unbelievably awesome. There's a priceless clip showing the reaction of the d-bag attendees as they find out they're staying in hurricane relief tents that were flooded the night before.
              As a follow-up, it's hard not to feel bad for the employees and the contractors/laborers screwed over by the ringleader.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Finally made the time for Buster Scruggs. Tim Blake Nelson's story had me laughing pretty hard, and I'll be singing Surly Joe for a month. All six stories were good, I can't pick a favorite. Easily one of Netflix's best offerings.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                  Finally made the time for Buster Scruggs. Tim Blake Nelson's story had me laughing pretty hard, and I'll be singing Surly Joe for a month. All six stories were good, I can't pick a favorite. Easily one of Netflix's best offerings.
                  Your comment prompted me to revisit the lyrics of "Surly Joe." I love how it gets funnier with each stanza.

Surly Joe, the gambler He will gamble nevermore
                  His days of stud and hold ‘em They are done
                  It was long about last April He stepped into this saloon
                  But he never really took to anyone

Surly Joe (Surly Joe) Surly Joe (Surly Joe)
                  Oh, wherever he’s gambling now, I don’t know (We don’t know)
                  He was slick, but I was slicker, He drew quick, but I was quicker
                  And the table stopped his ticker Surly Joe Yee-haw!

Won’t be missed by anyone will Surly Joe (Surly Joe)
                  Humankind he frowned upon, But not now, his face is gone
                  Guess your frowning days are done Oh, Surly Joe Yee-haw!

A cedilla on the C of Curly Joe (Surly Joe!)
                  He was mean in days of yore
                  Now they’re mopping up the floor
                  One more sight to make him sore, Oh, Surly Joe Yee-haw!

Where the rest of his face has got to, we don’t know (We don’t know)
                  He was never any fun, Now his grumpy race has run
                  Kisser blown to kingdom come, Oh, Surly Joe…

Spoiler for Only for those who have seen the movie...:
                  Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Finally made the time for Buster Scruggs. Tim Blake Nelson's story had me laughing pretty hard, and I'll be singing Surly Joe for a month. All six stories were good, I can't pick a favorite. Easily one of Netflix's best offerings.
                    I finally watched it last night and thought it was one of the stupidest things I have ever watched. Well maybe not in that level, but really dumb.

I was reminded about how everyone thought o brother where art thou was so amazing and then I saw it and was wondering if I had even watched the same movie as everyone else.

I also finally saw the revenant on Friday. That was good.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      I finally watched it last night and thought it was one of the stupidest things I have ever watched. Well maybe not in that level, but really dumb.

I was reminded about how everyone thought o brother where art thou was so amazing and then I saw it and was wondering if I had even watched the same movie as everyone else.
                      I have a George Saunders book suggestion for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

I also finally saw the revenant on Friday. That was good.
                        Knowing you to be a well-read, discriminating and welcome if infrequent house guest, I'm curious about your disdain for Scruggs and O Brother Where Art Thou? (La Femme PAC agrees with you, btw). Are there any Coen Brothers movies you liked [N.B.: don't mention The Big Lebowski here unless it is to sing its praises]? I think the plot lines of most Coen Brothers movies are pretty stupid, but the characters, dialogue and timing are almost always outstanding, and I usually find them even better on second viewing.

Comment

I have a George Saunders book suggestion for you.
                          Ha, you do like me!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            Knowing you to be a well-read, discriminating and welcome if infrequent house guest, I'm curious about your disdain for Scruggs and O Brother Where Art Thou? (La Femme PAC agrees with you, btw). Are there any Coen Brothers movies you liked [N.B.: don't mention The Big Lebowski here unless it is to sing its praises]? I think the plot lines of most Coen Brothers movies are pretty stupid, but the characters, dialogue and timing are almost always outstanding, and I usually find them even better on second viewing.
                            I thought Fargo was great the first time I watched that. I am pretty sure I liked raising arizona too.

I guess I was just expecting more. I don't watch many movies, but it just didn't do it for me.

Comment

• Buster Scruggs nabs 3 oscar nominations:

Surprise: "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs"

The Netflix western popped up in the categories for adapted screenplay (Joel Coen & Ethan Coen), costume design (Mary Zophres) and original song (“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings,” by David Rawlings and Gillian Welch).

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                Your comment prompted me to revisit the lyrics of "Surly Joe." I love how it gets funnier with each stanza.
                                A cedilla on the C of Curly Joe (Surly Joe!)
                                What a great line.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X