The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Knowing you to be a well-read, discriminating and welcome if infrequent house guest, I'm curious about your disdain for Scruggs and O Brother Where Art Thou? (La Femme PAC agrees with you, btw). Are there any Coen Brothers movies you liked [N.B.: don't mention The Big Lebowski here unless it is to sing its praises]? I think the plot lines of most Coen Brothers movies are pretty stupid, but the characters, dialogue and timing are almost always outstanding, and I usually find them even better on second viewing.
    Yeah, Mrs. NWC didn't care for Buster Scruggs either. I've seen it 3 times and like it even more after repeated viewings.

There is some ridiculously good acting in it, even the bit players. The posse leader in 'Near Algodones' is excellent with just a few lines. Even the card player who stands up and sings 'we don't know' in the clip you played does great. But my favorite is Billy Knapp in 'The Girl Who Got Rattled'. Just superb.

A wise person (maybe here?) said that if you expect a good plot with Coen films, you'll almost always be disappointed. Are there many Coen movies that depend on the plot more than characters? Offhand, I come up with Intolerable Cruelty and The Man Who Wasn't There, and maybe Fargo and No Country For Old Men. Otherwise, the genius is in the dialogue and acting.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      A wise person (maybe here?) said that if you expect a good plot with Coen films, you'll almost always be disappointed. Are there many Coen movies that depend on the plot more than characters? Offhand, I come up with Intolerable Cruelty and The Man Who Wasn't There, and maybe Fargo and No Country For Old Men. Otherwise, the genius is in the dialogue and acting.
      It'd be tough to argue that Buster Scruggs has a plot problem (and I don't believe that you are). I mean, six short stories, how much plot problem can there be? One could argue that the titular first story had no plot but as you mentioned the dialog and acting more than make up for that. And still, I'm not even sure I could agree. To me, part of the genius of that first story was the use of cliche as story teller.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        It'd be tough to argue that Buster Scruggs has a plot problem (and I don't believe that you are). I mean, six short stories, how much plot problem can there be? One could argue that the titular first story had no plot but as you mentioned the dialog and acting more than make up for that. And still, I'm not even sure I could agree. To me, part of the genius of that first story was the use of cliche as story teller.
        Yep. I think Buster Scruggs is the perfect distillation of the Coen mantra of character over plot.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Knowing you to be a well-read, discriminating and welcome if infrequent house guest, I'm curious about your disdain for Scruggs and O Brother Where Art Thou? (La Femme PAC agrees with you, btw). Are there any Coen Brothers movies you liked [N.B.: don't mention The Big Lebowski here unless it is to sing its praises]? I think the plot lines of most Coen Brothers movies are pretty stupid, but the characters, dialogue and timing are almost always outstanding, and I usually find them even better on second viewing.
          Oh Brother Where Art Thou is one of my favorite movies of all time. I guess if BP thinks The Odyssey has no plot then OBWAT may also lack a plot.
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
            Oh Brother Where Art Thou is one of my favorite movies of all time. I guess if BP thinks The Odyssey has no plot then OBWAT may also lack a plot.
            I loved that movie. Mrs. Pelado did not.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              How do people not love that movie? I don't get it.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I blame the Russians.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I think the key to me not liking it is that I am not a fan of short stories. I will always pass up a book of short stories for a novel or even a novella.

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    As a follow-up, it's hard not to feel bad for the employees and the contractors/laborers screwed over by the ringleader.
                    I felt awful for the employees, contractors, and laborers involved in that thing. I didn't feel sympathy for the attendees, especially the social media influencers.

Another follow-up, if you want more proof that Ja Rule is an asshole, just read his reactions to the documentary. He keeps going on and on about how they wanted to do something amazing.

This also has represented a good use of crowdfunding. The GoFundMe to reimburse Maryann Rolle has exceeded its goal. This is a woman that absolutely deserves this charity after how she was damaged by this.
                    https://www.gofundme.com/exuma-point...fyre-fest-debt
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

One NW daughter loves it. Another one does not. You either get it or you don't.
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                        I'm sorry, I am having a hard time finding where I said that the movie that you love had no plot. I simply said I didn't like it.

Let me guess, you all also love Cormac McCarthy and his total disregard for punctuation. I really don't like his stuff either.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          I think the key to me not liking it is that I am not a fan of short stories. I will always pass up a book of short stories for a novel or even a novella.
                          SB: Care for some short stories, Piney?

BP: No thank you, SB. One sixth of a novel would only arouse my appetite without bedding it back down.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            I'm sorry, I am having a hard time finding where I said that the movie that you love had no plot. I simply said I didn't like it.

Let me guess, you all also love Cormac McCarthy and his total disregard for punctuation. I really don't like his stuff either.
                            i guess you didn't

i was basing my reply off of what PAC wrote

punctuation *bleh*
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              My wife also doesn't love it. I told her she was dummerna bag of hammers.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

SB: Care for some short stories, Piney?

BP: No thank you, SB. One sixth of a novel would only arouse my appetite without bedding it back down.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X