The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Never owned a bike lock as a kid. Rode my bike every day.

Never owned a helmet either.
    I didn’t own a helmet as a kid, but I did lock it and take care of my bike. Besides, you and I were in our mid 20s when this current season was supposedly taking place. Our middle school years were about a decade earlier.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Never owned a bike lock as a kid. Rode my bike every day.

Never owned a helmet either.
      I had two bikes stolen, both of which I bought with my own hard earned money. One was locked up at elementary school in the late 70’s with a cheap lock. It was a Huffy, but it was tricked out. I always got asked if it was a Redline. This is the kind of lock we used. Probably not much better than nothing at all.
      200AFA89-4C4A-46EF-9A3B-600D271FC698.jpg

The other in the mid 80’s right out of our shed. This was a GT Pro Performer, the real deal. My dad was pissed that I spent $400 on a bike, but couldn’t really do much since I earned the money. If only he knew then what I would pay today for my last two mountain bikes.
      AB6DFB88-1A48-423D-B589-E5B49BFCF62D.jpg

This was in Bountiful, Utah, not exactly Gotham when it comes to crime.
      Last edited by chrisrenrut; 07-08-2019, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
        There's not a butt cut (I'm assuming that means the blow dried wings) to be seen on the show and literally half the high school kids in those years had that haircut.

This is what 83-86 looked like

[ATTACH]9639[/ATTACH]
        The butt cut was parted down the middle. Two fine examples in this pic

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
          I had two bikes stolen, both of which I bought with my own hard earned money. One was locked up at elementary school in the late 70’s with a cheap lock. It was a Huffy, but it was tricked out. I always got asked if it was a Redline. This is the kind of lock we used. Probably not much better than nothing at all.
          [ATTACH]9641[/ATTACH]

The other in the mid 80’s right out of our shed. This was a GT Pro Performer, the real deal. My dad was pissed that I spent $400 on a bike, but couldn’t really do much since I earned the money. If only he knew then what I would pay today for my last two mountain bikes.
          [ATTACH]9640[/ATTACH]

This was in Bountiful, Utah, not exactly Gotham when it comes to crime.
          My unlocked bicycle was stolen from the church bike rack in the mid-eighties. In fairness, I did inadvertently leave it there overnight.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Watched Season 2 of Master of None in advance of watching Ansari's "Right Now".

Loved much of MoN S2. The Bicycle Thief opener. The ep on Thanksgiving; the ep on Religion. That episode that features non-characters ("New York, I Love You") was quite memorable, particularly the silent sketch. But on the whole I grew tired of the love interest thing with the engaged Italian woman. It dragged.

Then there was the Chef Jeff thing... which prefaced Aziz's own fall from grace. Truth is stranger than fiction.

The "Right Now" special is very powerful. Ansari addresses the babe.net article from the very beginning and it never goes away. He uses it, though not directly, throughout the set and recounts the transformative effect it has on him and his worldview. He seems repentant and humble.

Outside of his petition to spend more time with your parents, this was my favorite bit (as summarized by Vulture):

But then he turns that crowd work on its head, taking a poll of the room about a recent news story where a pizza was delivered with pepperoni apparently arranged in the shape of a swastika. At Ansari’s prompting, some of the crowd claps to indicate they think it was arranged that way intentionally; some of them clap to say they feel it was a mistake. And then Ansari twists the knife: There was no pizza, there was no swastika. The story is made up. The audience was so anxious to participate, to voice an opinion, to feel outrage or skepticism, that they weighed in on a thing that did not exist.

The implications of that bit are not subtle or hard to parse. Some members of the audience are willing to stand in judgment without even the scantest idea of what they’re judging, and the connective tissue between that idea and Ansari’s misconduct allegation is pretty obvious. “We’re all shitty people!” he says. The only reason the audience isn’t as implicated in that unthinking judgment is that unlike Ansari, there’s no widely available footage of them, say, dancing to R. Kelly. It’s the kind of joke that could easily come off as defensive, as a disgruntled and frustrated complaint about the unequalness of a vast audience condemning Ansari for something they know nothing about, on a public scale the audience will never personally experience.

But the total impression of Right Now is not that it’s a defensive screed from a wealthy comedian claiming that the audience is also at fault for his behavior. It doesn’t feel like a series of excuses, either, or a plain humble prostration, or an abandonment of comedy in the face of seriousness. It is at times all of those things, and Ansari argues for, variously, the importance of reconsidering the past, the importance of discarding the past, the need for wokeness, the exhaustion of wokeness, the significance of cultural context, the frustration of contextual truths, the need for gratitude, and the emotional difficulty of gratitude.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Finished ST3 this weekend I enjoyed it but I am a sucker for any show that brings the 89’s back.

Never used a bike lock either and I had GT Pro Performer. Ended up selling it for a BMX Redline.

My exact bike. Crazy to see this in the museum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                Finished ST3 this weekend I enjoyed it but I am a sucker for any show that brings the 89’s back.

Never used a bike lock either and I had GT Pro Performer. Ended up selling it for a BMX Redline.

You rode a girl's bike?

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post

I wasn’t secure enough in my 14 year old masculinity to get the pink. I considered the lime green Dyno, but went with the blue because of the white mag wheels.

Comment

• Strangers Things 3 is fantastic and I will fight anyone who disagrees.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Strangers Things 3 is fantastic and I will fight anyone who disagrees.
                      I watched (and enjoyed) Season 1 but didn't see all (or most) of S2. Can I start Season 3 without playing catch-up?

Comment

Agree. Especially because Suzie is a BYU fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          I watched (and enjoyed) Season 1 but didn't see all (or most) of S2. Can I start Season 3 without playing catch-up?
                          I guess but why not enjoy S2 first?
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I fell asleep during episode 3 and now MJ is finishing it without me because I’m busy with work. Maybe I’ll finish watching it once it gets cancelled.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              I fell asleep during episode 3 and now MJ is finishing it without me because I’m busy with work. Maybe I’ll finish watching it once it gets cancelled.
                              So far the series has been widely enjoyed. I cannot imagine it getting cancelled, which means Netflix will try and grind as much cash out of it as possible and eventually the show will take a drastic turn for the worse. One critic of American tv writers that I agree with, is they don't know how to end a story and I fear because of the wild success of Stranger Things the story arc will change just so that they can add more episodes.

Comment

• Rumors are season 4 will be the last.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X