No announcement yet.

The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The current discussion about Lost in Space caused me to read a little more about the original series. The show, which debuted in 1965, when we were anxiously engaged in the Moon Race, reflected our expectations about the future. The family blasted off for space on October 16, 1997. This, along with shows like The Jetsons from '62 and movies like 2001--A Space Odyssey from '68, highlight how badly we've underachieved relative to my childhood expectations.

Also, the original theme music (and can we all agree TV show theme music from the 50s-70s was way better than today's, if there is any?) was composed by a young "Johnny" Williams. It sounds a lot like the theme from Jurassic Park, with methamphetamines. Williams mellowed out a bit 30 years later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      I just watched the Crown.

Season 2 was a real freaking struggle to stay awake. I love history, and I've always been intrigued by the British monarch. I don't see how someone who does not share those interests could make it through the show so far.

I'm guessing season 4 will start with Chuck and Di's wedding. It could probably get interesting then.
      I wish I would have read this before starting this show. It has a decent IMDB rating. Ugh, what a waste of time. I got two episodes in and started the third only to fall asleep while watching on the bus. I guess I also find British royalty to be dumb.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        I wish I would have read this before starting this show. It has a decent IMDB rating. Ugh, what a waste of time. I got two episodes in and started the third only to fall asleep while watching on the bus. I guess I also find British royalty to be dumb.
        My wife and I love British dramas, but we could only endure 1-2 episodes. Ugh...
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          My wife and I love British dramas, but we could only endure 1-2 episodes. Ugh...
          We started it too about a month ago. I think we're on episode two, just haven't picked it back up. One of those tap-outs that you don't even realize is going to be a tap-out.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            The current discussion about Lost in Space caused me to read a little more about the original series. The show, which debuted in 1965, when we were anxiously engaged in the Moon Race, reflected our expectations about the future. The family blasted off for space on October 16, 1997. This, along with shows like The Jetsons from '62 and movies like 2001--A Space Odyssey from '68, highlight how badly we've underachieved relative to my childhood expectations.

Also, the original theme music (and can we all agree TV show theme music from the 50s-70s was way better than today's, if there is any?) was composed by a young "Johnny" Williams. It sounds a lot like the theme from Jurassic Park, with methamphetamines. Williams mellowed out a bit 30 years later.
            That song has a Danny Elfman vibe to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              It was slow-moving and difficult to endure as my wife plodded through it.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                That song has a Danny Elfman vibe to it.
                You're right--it's like the Simpsons are driving to Jurassic Park.

Comment

• Last night I watched the recently released netflix doc about Rachel Dolezal titled The Rachel Divide. I thought it was fascinating and well worth the watch. She is such a bizarre woman. Even now she refuses to back down one inch in spite of overwhelming backlash, especially from the black community. I alternated between anger and pity and bewilderment. The real star of the doc is her 14-yr-old son, Franklin. He is a very smart and interesting young man, who is hurt and frustrated by his mother and how her choices are destroying not just her life, but his too. Really feel sorry for that kid. He seems far wiser than his mother.

The final scene is a real jaw dropper.

Reviews have been mixed on this one, but don't let that dissuade you from watching it. There is a deliberate (and understandable) campaign to get people to NOT view the doc, in the spirit of not giving Dolezal another minute of undeserved fame or attention. Ditto for her new book, which only sold 596 copies on the first run. But I felt like the doc did a more than fair job of showing a balanced view.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

The real star of the doc is her 14-yr-old son, Franklin.

Comment

• Has anyone seen the documentary series Evil Genius? I'm on the third episode. Totally fascinating.
                      Last edited by originalsocal; 05-14-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
                        Has anyone see the documentary series Evil Genius? I'm on the third episode. Totally fascinating.
                        I am on Episode 3 as well. Very intriguing indeed.

Is this done by the same guys who did “Making a Murderer”? It definitely has that same feel..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
                          Has anyone see the documentary series Evil Genius? I'm on the third episode. Totally fascinating.
                          Is that the bank robbery mini series? That looks really interesting.

Comment

Is that the bank robbery mini series? That looks really interesting.
                            Yes. The guy who had a bomb wrapped around his neck.

Warning. They show it going off.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                              Yes. The guy who had a bomb wrapped around his neck.

Warning. They show it going off.

Dammit, db. No spoilers!

Comment

Dammit, db. No spoilers!

Comment

Working...
                                X