Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The Rajneeshi doc was good.
    I struggled getting past the clips of sexual assaults during the naked rage sessions.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Her kids have my sympathy.
      I'm more sympathetic to her now than I was before.

I don't understand the concept of being trans-racial, but I don't think she's a bad person. I think she's a person who is trying to separate from a painful upbringing that is shared by her black adopted siblings, and it caused some lines to blur.

It is also potentially helpful when you approach race as a social construct as opposed to a genetic one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        I'm more sympathetic to her now than I was before.

I don't understand the concept of being trans-racial, but I don't think she's a bad person. I think she's a person who is trying to separate from a painful upbringing that is shared by her black adopted siblings, and it caused some lines to blur.

It is also potentially helpful when you approach race as a social construct as opposed to a genetic one.
        Race as a social construct is a new story she fabricated after her original lie was exposed. She is a chronic liar and a narcissist and she is putting her kids through hell.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Race as a social construct is a new story she fabricated after her original lie was exposed. She is a chronic liar and a narcissist and she is putting her kids through hell.
          I hear you. Her story is more complex than I originally thought, though.

I

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
            Evil Genius was interesting, but in the end I don’t think they really showed enough to support all the conclusions the director made at the end. Lot’s of holes in the story, IMO. And none of the coconspirators, including the supposed “evil genius” seemed all that smart to me. The plan was convoluted, but it was also idiotic. The entire premise was farcical.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed watching it, but I don’t actually think it was that well made. Making A Murderer and The Jinx were so much better done. I liked the Rajneeshi doc a lot better too. Seemed like a cheap imitation of much better “true crime” docuseries, which is a shame given how bizarre the subject matter was. The director needed to dig in a little deeper.

After finishing, I agree with this comment. Nice little twist at the end. Episode 1 and 4 were great. 2 and 3 got slow and I almost didn't finish. By the end, I just wanted Marjorie to shut up. I give it a mild thumbs up but not anywhere close to tops in the true crime documentary genre.

Spoiler for spoiler comment:
            I still am a bit confused at how they thought this was a good idea and how it got this far. Like these people were sitting around for weeks planning this, all in agreement "this is totally going to work, can't wait to spend the money." I took the title Evil Genius for granted and kept looking for genius. I thought maybe it would turn out that murder was the motive all along, and that might be genius to hide it in a bank robbery plot. Still wondering about the genius part of it, unless that was mean to be ironic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              I hear you. Her story is more complex than I originally thought, though.

She's reviled by the black community because she hasn't suffered enough as a black person so she is not entitled to call herself a black person. But she's been hated and reviled and abased by everyone now, white and black. I'd say she's suffered enough to call herself whatever she wants.

I am also amazed as her artwork.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                She's reviled by the black community because she hasn't suffered enough as a black person so she is not entitled to call herself a black person. But she's been hated and reviled and abased by everyone now, white and black. I'd say she's suffered enough to call herself whatever she wants.

She is a very talented artist. That was a surprising revelation.

“Hasn’t suffered enough” is not an accurate portrayal of the problem. If there was ever a case of white privilege, this would be it. There is no way on earth a black person could just choose to identify as white and get away with it. Furthermore, the suffering she has endured is a result of stupid decisions and blatant lies. You don’t earn respect that way.

The real killer was the ending. In spite of all the bad karma coming her way and in spite of her kids literally begging her to knock it off, she legally changes her name to an African name. That has to be one of the dumbest, most tone deaf, least self-aware things I have ever seen.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

She appears to be an excellent artist. I also laughed when I saw this as a result of a Google image search for "Rachel Dolezal art":

Screen_Shot_2015-06-15_at_1.01.02_PM_xnnnlh.jpg
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Or maybe she's the equivalent of those Chinese painters reproducing famous works that they then sell in the US for around $100 - $200.

29A7790E00000578-0-image-a-13_1434429191581.jpg
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Anon.

Haunting and fascinating.

"It's not that I have something to hide. It's that I have nothing I want you to see."
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Netflix has released a bunch of comedy specials from other countries. I've been curious about how culture affects humor:

Indian: Ok so they're still riffing in english, but definately not that funny. The longer they've been living in the US/Canada/England, the funnier they are.
                        French: Awful. The french comics are still doing bits about how controlling their wives are, and how ugly they (the comedian) is. With stupid slapstick humor. They are still back in the Jerry Lewis days.
                        German: Surprisingly edgy politically, I listened to an Armenian/German comedienne and she made a nazi joke (!) and also made several jokes about the turks in the audience not wanting to sit next to the kurds in the audience.

The german comic said on the global strata, the funniest comics are from the US and England.

Comment

Netflix has released a bunch of comedy specials from other countries. I've been curious about how culture affects humor:

Indian: Ok so they're still riffing in english, but definately not that funny. The longer they've been living in the US/Canada/England, the funnier they are.
                          French: Awful. The french comics are still doing bits about how controlling their wives are, and how ugly they (the comedian) is. With stupid slapstick humor. They are still back in the Jerry Lewis days.
                          German: Surprisingly edgy politically, I listened to an Armenian/German comedienne and she made a nazi joke (!) and also made several jokes about the turks in the audience not wanting to sit next to the kurds in the audience.

The german comic said on the global strata, the funniest comics are from the US and England.
                          That is interesting as I didn't find Germans to have much of a sense of humor and the French definitely lack a developed sense of humor. Latin America and Italy seems to produce better humor. Asia, with its billions of people must have some funny stuff, but the cultures don't inherently produce a lot of humor per se.

Chinese are very serious if one were to generalize the culture, with the northerners being more stiff than the southerners. Japanese are also very intense. I don't know much about Korean or Thai culture and nothing about Vietnamese culture.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Her kids have my sympathy.
                            I also have a ton of sympathy for her son. She clearly has some mental issues. On the other hand, he seemed super bright with a good head on his shoulders, so she must have done something right. Or maybe the credit should go to his father (who smartly doesn’t seem to want anything to do with Rachel anymore).

Comment

• Just finished Evil Genius. Very interesting and engaging.

That said, I still think The Jinx is the best documentary of this genre. That ending had me sweating.

Comment

Netflix has released a bunch of comedy specials from other countries. I've been curious about how culture affects humor:

I don't think an Armenian/German is the same as a German when it comes to humor. Particularly if she is making jokes about Kurdish massacres.

I think the French are being disrespected. Slapstick, done well, is still very funny. Disparaging it as passé is sort of déclassé. And if you are so ugly it's funny, then it's funny.

I actually think what other cultures find amusing reflects more about what is otherwise going on in the culture than it does about how advanced their comedy is.

Perhaps the reason Indian comics that have lived in America seem funnier to you is because you live in America.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X