The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Interesting. Why do you suppose the IMDB numbers are so low?
    There are things that will drive “serious sci-fi guy” crazy. There are things that will drive you, being an engineer, crazy. Deus ex machina permeates the show and that’s probably too much for some. Anytime a show features a lot of kids it’s going to turn off a decent number of adult viewers. But this show’s strength is that they’ve found kids who can act and are also not annoying. Like I said, it’s not perfect but it’s really well done. It tends toward the optimistic, think Firefly, Lost, The Martian and the newer Star Trek/Star Wars feels. Visually stunning, well acted and what sure feels like a uniquely wide range of appeal, at least in my family. It’s entirely possible that I like this show more than I otherwise would simply because my kids are enjoying it so much.
    Last edited by SteelBlue; 04-15-2018, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
      There are things that will drive “serious sci-fi guy” crazy. There are things that will drive you, being an engineer, crazy. Deus ex machina permeates the show and that’s probably too much for some. Anytime a show features a lot of kids it’s going to turn off a decent number of adult viewers. But this show’s strength is that they’ve found kids who can act and are also not annoying. Like I said, it’s not perfect but it’s really well done. It tends toward the optimistic, think Firefly, Lost, The Martian and the newer Star Trek/Star Wars feels. Visually stunning, well acted and what sure feels like a uniquely wide range of appeal, at least in my family. It’s entirely possible that I like this show more than I otherwise would simply because my kids are enjoying it so much.
      Thanks to your recommendation for Lost in Space, I watched the first episode and enjoyed the updated version, in part perhaps due to nostalgia. There are some nice spins on characters. The physics and robotics of the show will drive those unwilling to suspend disbelief nuts, but for those who enjoy the clash of personalities and the nostalgic reminiscing, it is well-worth watching. I don't imagine JL, Pelagius or DH would enjoy it, but others might.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Haven't seen it mentioned here, but one of my new favorite shows is Hap and Leonard. This is a Sundance TV show, with the first 2 seasons on Netflix. The 3rd season is available through the Sundance TV App. Great show.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3729898/

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
          Thanks to your recommendation for Lost in Space, I watched the first episode and enjoyed the updated version, in part perhaps due to nostalgia. There are some nice spins on characters. The physics and robotics of the show will drive those unwilling to suspend disbelief nuts, but for those who enjoy the clash of personalities and the nostalgic reminiscing, it is well-worth watching. I don't imagine JL, Pelagius or DH would enjoy it, but others might.
          We're on the final episode, set to watch it tonight. I'm solidly in the camp that says it's worth watching. In fact, I'd wager it'll end up being one of Netflix's most streamed shows this year. I despise the term "family friendly" because it generally means the show sucks for adults. Lost in Space is a different kind of family friendly. It's family friendly in terms of the wide range of ages it will please.

There are a few things I've noticed that give the show a notably different feel from many similar series:

-There seems to be a conscious effort to avoid gun violence. It's actually a part of the plot. There is "gun" violence, but nowhere near the level one is accustomed to seeing in an American series. One theme of the show is to highlight brain power and problem solving under pressure over the brute physical power that is often used to solve a show's problems. They fight when they have to, but it's often a last resort.

-Every female character is a bad ass. Intelligence comes first, and they don't spend time pondering the inane. They are all physically strong as well. And when problems require physical work, the women all take an equal share with men. Physical appearance is de-emphasized. Hair is usually messy or in braids. Their beauty is a reflection of the above and I can't recall a moment where they're objectified or sexualized. Neither of my daughters have shown even the slightest interest in sci-fi previous to this, but I think both have been drawn to these characters that reflect the kind of women they respect.

-I don't want to include spoilers, so stop reading this paragraph now if you're worried about that. I'll keep it bare bones. One moment that really stood out to me as different from the female/male relationship patterns I've grown accustomed to in many/most series involves one of the Robinson daughters and a young man she's been flirting with. He harshly dumps her at one point and then later she saves him from a dangerous situation and they have this moment that every show has where it looks like they're going to resume their relationship. He says something like "hey, when this is all over, would you like to maybe hang out?" Being conditioned by 47 years of television, I expected her to immediately agree because they've made it clear she really likes this kid. Instead she simply says "no thanks, I'm good." I loved that! I'm glad my daughters are seeing it.
          Last edited by SteelBlue; 04-18-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

We're on the final episode, set to watch it tonight. I'm solidly in the camp that says it's worth watching. In fact, I'd wager it'll end up being one of Netflix's most streamed shows this year. I despise the term "family friendly" because it generally means the show sucks for adults. Lost in Space is a different kind of family friendly. It's family friendly in terms of the wide range of ages it will please.

There are a few things I've noticed that give the show a notably different feel from many similar series:

-There seems to be a conscious effort to avoid gun violence. It's actually a part of the plot. There is "gun" violence, but nowhere near the level one is accustomed to seeing in an American series. One theme of the show is to highlight brain power and problem solving under pressure over the brute physical power that is often used to solve a show's problems. They fight when they have to, but it's often a last resort.

-Every female character is a bad ass. Intelligence comes first, and they don't spend time pondering the inane. They are all physically strong as well. And when problems require physical work, the women all take an equal share with men. Physical appearance is de-emphasized. Hair is usually messy or in braids. Their beauty is a reflection of the above and I can't recall a moment where they're objectified or sexualized. Neither of my daughters have shown even the slightest interest in sci-fi previous to this, but I think both have been drawn to these characters that reflect the kind of women they respect.

-I don't want to include spoilers, so stop reading this paragraph now if you're worried about that. I'll keep it bare bones. One moment that really stood out to me as different from the female/male relationship patterns I've grown accustomed to in many/most series involves one of the Robinson daughters and a young man she's been flirting with. He harshly dumps her at one point and then later she saves him from a dangerous situation and they have this moment that every show has where it looks like they're going to resume their relationship. He says something like "hey, when this is all over, would you like to maybe hang out?" Being conditioned by 47 years of television, I expected her to immediately agree because they've made it clear she really likes this kid. Instead she simply says "no thanks, I'm good." I loved that! I'm glad my daughters are seeing it.
            I've not made it as far as you, but I agree with all of the points you make. Naturally, the more cynical among us will detest it. For the rest, it may be a welcome detour from the normal.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. I might try to give this a go with my daughters.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                My wife and I watched the first episode last night. It looks like a series that we can watch together - and there are very few shows that we can both enjoy. I sat through one episode of Merlin, that she's been watching and that's all that I could handle of that series. She couldn't stand any of the Defender and related series. I sort of had to force myself to "suspend disbelief" in a few areas for Lost in Space, but I think I can do that.

Comment

• I got about 3/4 of the way through the first episode of Lost in Space. Now I see why it is only 7.3 on IMDB.

Pass.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I got about 3/4 of the way through the first episode of Lost in Space. Now I see why it is only 7.3 on IMDB.

Pass.
                    Maybe you should try watching it with your kids? Also, 7.3 on IMDB doesn't seem so bad. I was thinking from your comments that it would be more like 4 or 5.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Maybe you should try watching it with your kids? Also, 7.3 on IMDB doesn't seem so bad. I was thinking from your comments that it would be more like 4 or 5.
                      I watched it with my son who likes that type of series. He didn't seem too interested, but maybe he will keep watching it.

7.3 is low for a series in my experience. The top 250 movies on IMDB range from 8.0-9.2. The top 250 tv series range from 8.3-9.5. Tons of tv series in the 7.7-8.2 range. Furthermore, this is early after the release. Almost everything decreases over time. It will likely end in the 6.* range.

It is totally cool if it works for some folks though. Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 04-19-2018, 08:13 AM.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I got about 3/4 of the way through the first episode of Lost in Space. Now I see why it is only 7.3 on IMDB.

Pass.
                        First episode is probably the weakest but still, if you couldn’t finish it I think it’s safe to tap out. My kids begging to watch and voluntarily spend time with me definitely enhanced this one. We finished last night and 2 of my 3 liked it better than Stranger Things.

Comment

First episode is probably the weakest but still, if you couldn’t finish it I think it’s safe to tap out. My kids begging to watch and voluntarily spend time with me definitely enhanced this one. We finished last night and 2 of my 3 liked it better than Stranger Things.
                          I told you the cynics wouldn't like it. Once all hope is lost such a theme will not resonate.

The Doctor Smith character irritates as the character is supposed to.

Comment

I watched it with my son who likes that type of series. He didn't seem too interested, but maybe he will keep watching it.

7.3 is low for a series in my experience. The top 250 movies on IMDB range from 8.0-9.2. The top 250 tv series range from 8.3-9.5. Tons of tv series in the 7.7-8.2 range. Furthermore, this is early after the release. Almost everything decreases over time. It will likely end in the 6.* range.

It is totally cool if it works for some folks though. Enjoy!
                            That's sort of an interesting approach. It's like you're using the IMDB current and anticipated future ratings to justify your own reaction ("All TV viewers who rate on IMDB agree with me!). I use ratings to help decide if I am going to watch it, but not if my reaction is correct once I have watched it. But, no matter, I guess.

As for the series, I like it quite a bit. It is not the best thing I have ever watched by any means, but it is easily worth watching as light minded/hearted entertainment and SB's comment about the role of women is a good one (even the chief villain's villainy is unrelated to her gender).

There is no question that part of the appeal, for me, is its occasional connections to the original Lost in Space TV show, which I LOVED when I was a kid and it was first on TV. (Fun Fact: Did anyone else notice that the guy who played the real Dr. Smith on the Resolute was the actor who played Will Robinson in the original TV series?) To be sure, this is not highbrow stuff. But it is fun and the production values are pretty high.

I also agree that the first episode was the weakest, in my mind. It was slow and a bit forced. But perhaps thanks to my high school chemistry teacher who LOVED making underwater fires with magnesium chips, I still liked it. I think it gets better.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              That's sort of an interesting approach. It's like you're using the IMDB current and anticipated future ratings to justify your own reaction ("All TV viewers who rate on IMDB agree with me!). I use ratings to help decide if I am going to watch it, but not if my reaction is correct once I have watched it. But, no matter, I guess.

As for the series, I like it quite a bit. It is not the best thing I have ever watched by any means, but it is easily worth watching as light minded/hearted entertainment and SB's comment about the role of women is a good one (even the chief villain's villainy is unrelated to her gender).

There is no question that part of the appeal, for me, is its occasional connections to the original Lost in Space TV show, which I LOVED when I was a kid and it was first on TV. (Fun Fact: Did anyone else notice that the guy who played the real Dr. Smith on the Resolute was the actor who played Will Robinson in the original TV series?) To be sure, this is not highbrow stuff. But it is fun and the production values are pretty high.

I also agree that the first episode was the weakest, in my mind. It was slow and a bit forced. But perhaps thanks to my high school chemistry teacher who LOVED making underwater fires with magnesium chips, I still liked it. I think it gets better.
                              That wasn't really my point, but touche' anyway. I have found IMDB to be a very reliable quality indicator - more so than Rotten Tomatoes. But there are exceptions - on some occasions I dislike stuff that is highly rated there and enjoy stuff that is not so highly rated. That is why I gave the series a shot.

Maybe I will plow through the first episode and check out episode 2. I was a Lost in Space fan as a kid. I wanted to like this series!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post

(Fun Fact: Did anyone else notice that the guy who played the real Dr. Smith on the Resolute was the actor who played Will Robinson in the original TV series?)
                                I had no idea. That’s pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X