Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768
Results 2,011 to 2,034 of 2034

Thread: The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

  1. #2011
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    So I watched S1 of Ozark when it came out and I really liked it. I didn't watch S2 because several of you said it was awful. Now you are saying that S3 is great so I am working my way through S2 and what in the hell were you guys talking about? S2 is a fine season.
    Finished S3 last night. Excellent. This series does a great job of maintaining tension. The guy that played Wendy's brother was amazing.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  2. #2012
    Senior Member dabrockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    9,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Finished S3 last night. Excellent. This series does a great job of maintaining tension. The guy that played Wendy's brother was amazing.
    He is an amazing actor. I really like him. Not sure if you watched the ďIron FistĒ series on Netflix but he was a main character in that series.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #2013
    Senior Member dabrockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    9,311

    Default The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

    I am not one to push cartoons, but we started to re-watch ďAvatar: The Last Air BenderĒ since my daughter ha shown interest.

    I forgot how much I enjoyed the messages and characters of this show.

    If you have little ones in 3rd grade and above you may want to try it out.

    I have not forgiven M. Night Shyamalan for what he did for the movie version..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #2014
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    17,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    I am not one to push cartoons, but we started to re-watch “Avatar: The Last Air Bender” since my daughter ha shown interest.

    I forgot how much I enjoyed the messages and characters of this show.

    If you have little ones in 3rd grade and above you may want to try it out.

    I have not forgiven M. Night Shyamalan for what he did for the movie version..

    Why- what's wrong with cartoons?
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  5. #2015
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Why- what's wrong with cartoons?
    Yeah, that's dumb. Animated series can be great.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  6. #2016
    a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    I am not one to push cartoons, but we started to re-watch ďAvatar: The Last Air BenderĒ since my daughter ha shown interest.

    I forgot how much I enjoyed the messages and characters of this show.

    If you have little ones in 3rd grade and above you may want to try it out.

    I have not forgiven M. Night Shyamalan for what he did for the movie version..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny, my teen and pre-teen kids have been forcing me to watch the same show as they say it is their favorite animated series. We have just started the second season but I couldnít stand the first one. It is terribly drawn and the the writing is sub-par. The big flying buffalo and the uncle are the only decent characters. I hope it gets better.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

  7. #2017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Funny, my teen and pre-teen kids have been forcing me to watch the same show as they say it is their favorite animated series. We have just started the second season but I couldn’t stand the first one. It is terribly drawn and the the writing is sub-par. The big flying buffalo and the uncle are the only decent characters. I hope it gets better.
    weird take but ok
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  8. #2018
    a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    weird take but ok
    It is perfectly fine for young kids, which it is obviously geared toward, I just donít understand why an adult would like it. I also donít understand why an adult with no kids would want to go to Disneyland... but hey, to each their own.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

  9. #2019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    It is perfectly fine for young kids, which it is obviously geared toward, I just donít understand why an adult would like it. I also donít understand why an adult with no kids would want to go to Disneyland... but hey, to each their own.
    100% rotten tomatoes
    9.2 IMDB.

    I think you are in the minority but thatís fine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  10. #2020
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    100% rotten tomatoes
    9.2 IMDB.

    I think you are in the minority but that’s fine.
    I have been watching anime to maintain my japanese skills in the past year or so. I saw that 9.2 number recently and decided to give it a go. Imagine my surprise when I learned it is not japanese anime!

    I am working through Full Metal Alchemist instead.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  11. #2021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I have been watching anime to maintain my japanese skills in the past year or so. I saw that 9.2 number recently and decided to give it a go. Imagine my surprise when I learned it is not japanese anime!

    I am working through Full Metal Alchemist instead.
    nice...that is a good one
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  12. #2022
    Senior Member dabrockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    9,311

    Default The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Funny, my teen and pre-teen kids have been forcing me to watch the same show as they say it is their favorite animated series. We have just started the second season but I couldnít stand the first one. It is terribly drawn and the the writing is sub-par. The big flying buffalo and the uncle are the only decent characters. I hope it gets better.
    Well.. You have Ute in your handle and a pic of Trump. So I think that answers my questions..

    Find your inner child and just let go.. I promise, you wonít look a fool..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dabrockster; 07-08-2020 at 02:23 PM.

  13. #2023
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    nice...that is a good one
    Have you watched Death Note? That was fantastic.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  14. #2024
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,565

    Default

    Old Guard with Charlize Theron was solid. Definitely one of the better (best?) straight to Netflix films yet.

  15. #2025
    Senior Member UVACoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Just finished Fear City, a serial documentary about how the FBI and Rudy Giuliani's US Attorney's office took down the heads of the New York mafia families in the 80s. It was very well done. Lots of talking head time from Rudy and also from Michael Chertoff (former Sec'y of Homeland Security), who was the lead trial attorney for the government. Highly recommend it!

    Seems like a lot of recent serial documentaries are too long and drawn out to fill out 6-8 episodes. I think that's definitely true of HBO's current docu-series I'll Be Gone In the Dark about the East Side Rapist/Golden State Killer serial killer that, which is good but seems very repetitive. Fear City is only 3 episodes long and keeps your attention the whole time. I appreciated that.

  16. #2026
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    Just finished Fear City, a serial documentary about how the FBI and Rudy Giuliani's US Attorney's office took down the heads of the New York mafia families in the 80s. It was very well done. Lots of talking head time from Rudy and also from Michael Chertoff (former Sec'y of Homeland Security), who was the lead trial attorney for the government. Highly recommend it!

    Seems like a lot of recent serial documentaries are too long and drawn out to fill out 6-8 episodes. I think that's definitely true of HBO's current docu-series I'll Be Gone In the Dark about the East Side Rapist/Golden State Killer serial killer that, which is good but seems very repetitive. Fear City is only 3 episodes long and keeps your attention the whole time. I appreciated that.
    Iíll Be Gone In the Dark has been a huge disappointment. So much wasted potential.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  17. #2027
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,949

    Default

    The final season of Last Chance U hit Netflix this morning. It is a community college in Oakland this year.

  18. #2028
    Senior Member dabrockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    9,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    The final season of Last Chance U hit Netflix this morning. It is a community college in Oakland this year.
    Saving this when CF is canceled.. My hope, I get to enjoy both..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #2029
    Senior Member dabrockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    9,311

    Default The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

    Fear City: New York vs. The Mafia.

    Pretty interesting series. On the last episode..

    Nice cameo of Trump. Sorry guys. No collaboration to be seen as of yet..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dabrockster; 07-28-2020 at 05:06 PM.

  20. #2030
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    12,910

    Default

    We're enjoying Love on the Spectrum, an Australian reality series about young adults at various places on the autism spectrum, and their attempts to make a romantic connection. Just two episodes in I've gained much deeper respect, even affection, for, those on the spectrum. One of the guys talks about how driving a bus is the best job he’s ever had and how happy it makes him, and points out his dream house that overlooks the train tracks AND the bus route. Another says that finding a woman he can love, support, and make happy is the most important thing in life. And you can tell he would do just that if a woman worthy of him comes along. I'm wary that the show may be exploitative, but thus far it's funny and at times deeply moving.

  21. #2031
    Senior Member UVACoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Iíll Be Gone In the Dark has been a huge disappointment. So much wasted potential.
    I agree. It started out good, and the last episode looks like it might be interesting, but everything in the middle is repetitive and boring.

    Spoiler for Spoiler:
    I also don't like the way they handled the latest episode about Michelle McNamara's death. It turned into just an hour-long tribute to her. That's fine, but it didn't belong in this series. There's also a lot of questions about her death that they don't touch on at all, like was she an addict? Where did she get the fentanyl? Was it prescribed? I also read somewhere (probably unreliable) that they found Cocaine and MDMA by the bed where she was found. This show was never going to explore those questions, but the fact that they didn't ... and glossed over that she overdosed ... raised a bunch of questions that I think hurt the credibility of everything else that they covered.

  22. #2032
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    I agree. It started out good, and the last episode looks like it might be interesting, but everything in the middle is repetitive and boring.

    Spoiler for Spoiler:
    I also don't like the way they handled the latest episode about Michelle McNamara's death. It turned into just an hour-long tribute to her. That's fine, but it didn't belong in this series. There's also a lot of questions about her death that they don't touch on at all, like was she an addict? Where did she get the fentanyl? Was it prescribed? I also read somewhere (probably unreliable) that they found Cocaine and MDMA by the bed where she was found. This show was never going to explore those questions, but the fact that they didn't ... and glossed over that she overdosed ... raised a bunch of questions that I think hurt the credibility of everything else that they covered.
    As to your spoiler, they touch on those issues in more detail in Ep. 5.

    My wife and I listened to "Evil Has a Name" on Audible. One of our all-time favorite audible selections. Primary author and narrator is Paul Holes - one of the main detectives on the case. This story and the eventual solution are incredibly compelling. The fact that they managed to make a boring docu-series about it is quite a feat. I get the human interest angle - some really touching scenes regarding Michelle's death, etc. but in the end she did not solve the case - in spite of her obsession.

    I guess the bright side is that someone can still make the definitive movie or series about the case.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  23. #2033
    Senior Member UVACoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    As to your spoiler, they touch on those issues in more detail in Ep. 5.

    My wife and I listened to "Evil Has a Name" on Audible. One of our all-time favorite audible selections. Primary author and narrator is Paul Holes - one of the main detectives on the case. This story and the eventual solution are incredibly compelling. The fact that they managed to make a boring docu-series about it is quite a feat. I get the human interest angle - some really touching scenes regarding Michelle's death, etc. but in the end she did not solve the case - in spite of her obsession.

    I guess the bright side is that someone can still make the definitive movie or series about the case.
    Spoiler for Funny:
    Yeah. I thought it was kind of funny how they suggested in one of the earlier episodes that Michelle had come up with the DNA idea. It really seems like she didn't have much to do with how they ultimately solved the case.

  24. #2034
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,565

    Default

    Season 2 of The Umbrella Academy comes out tomorrow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •