The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Also, I just realized this very morning that the actor who played the limbless thespian in Meal Ticket is Dudley Dursley from the Harry Potter movies.

You guys probably already realized that, but it came as an "whoa!" moment for me!
    Yeah I think that was mentioned above. Most people remember him being super fat because they’ve only seen the first handful of HP films. By the 7th movie he had grown a foot or two and had stretched out that baby fat quite a bit. Still big, but hardly the roly-poly kid from the first movie.

I had a recent “whoa!” moment. I was rewatching some Mad Men this last weekend and I noticed that Flo from the Progressive commercials plays a switchboard operator in season 1. Not sure how I missed that the first time around.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• New season of The Ranch!!

Not sure it will be the same without Rooster..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
        New season of The Ranch!!

Not sure it will be the same without Rooster..

Why am I not surprised you like that show. Tried to watch it a few months back, so painful.
        *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          Why am I not surprised you like that show. Tried to watch it a few months back, so painful.
          Yes. I stuck it out for a couple episodes because I thought maybe I was missing something. I found nothing funny about any of it. The laugh track was seriously so bad. I felt like I was getting pranked by Netflix.
          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• The Innocent Man.

WOW!! Powerful moments in some of these episodes. Very well done!!

Comment

• Bird Box with Sandra Bullock. Based on a book I've not read. It's kind of two movies, one half takes place as the world is coming to an apocalyptic end and a group of strangers holes up in a home and tries to survive. This part worked well. The other half (it probably works out to much less than half, but whatever) is a flash forward. The flashes forward did not work as well for me, but overall an entertaining couple of hours. Fits the Netflix original mold, meaning that it probably isn't good enough to have succeeded as a theater release but it is better than network tv and helps to justify keeping Netflix.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                Bird Box with Sandra Bullock. Based on a book I've not read. It's kind of two movies, one half takes place as the world is coming to an apocalyptic end and a group of strangers holes up in a home and tries to survive. This part worked well. The other half (it probably works out to much less than half, but whatever) is a flash forward. The flashes forward did not work as well for me, but overall an entertaining couple of hours. Fits the Netflix original mold, meaning that it probably isn't good enough to have succeeded as a theater release but it is better than network tv and helps to justify keeping Netflix.

I watched last night. I think the "flash forwards" you are referring to are actually the present, and the bulk of the story is told through flashbacks. It certainly wasn't perfect, but thought both time sequences worked out because:

Spoiler for Really Deep Plot Discussion:
                The present story showed you a few immediate circumstances, which meant the flashbacks had to explain how they arrived at that point. i.e. is Boy or Girl Malorie's biological child, whose child is the other, why is Malorie alone with the kids when she was holed up with 9-10 others, etc. I thought that part worked fine.

That said, flashbacks always remove tension from what are supposed to be certain tense sequences, because you knew certain things--i.e. Malorie and the children survived the safehouse. This is my biggest pet peeve with movies that play out over two time sequences. It's like the writers forget that we already know certain things in the present, and don't understand that their attempts to build tension in certain scenes just isnt' going to work. Once we know the present, the past is about how, not if. Perfect example, when the single gunshot rings out downstairs, did anyone really think the crazy guy was the one who shot Tom, as opposed to Tom shooting crazy guy? Even though when they cut away from the scene, Tom was holding the barrel and crazy guy was holding the stock and trigger? Of course not! Because there is no way Malorie and two newborns would have survived if Tom was the one killed in that sequence. So don't patronize us by trying to create tension where it can't be created--we all know it's not the crazy guy coming up the stairs, so it has to be Tom.

Other quibbles: First, the entire premise seemed like it was stolen from "The Happening" and/or "A Quiet Place." I suppose this was much better than The Happening, so there's that, but it was certainly much worse than "A Quiet Place." Also, as for the people who have looked and not killed themselves, it would have been nice to have a little more explanation there. Without more, it just seemed like a contrived plot device to explain why both black characters were killed off.

Also, the boat capsizing with two young kids who can't swim, and those kids miraculously making it to dry land without looking was just ridonk. I get this is a SciFi movie, but just because i'm suspending belief as it pertains to supernatural suicidal forces, doesn't mean physics cease to exist. That just seemed unnecessary and unrealistic. Have the boat get stuck and them have to jump out and float together. That's at least plausible. A minor quibble, but it still really bothered me after the build-up about the severity of the rapids.

Another plot quibble: How did Malkovich somehow get through the garage door? Why didn't he just do that earlier when he saw the crazy guy put the birds in the freezer and start opening windows?

Last, we needed some closure on the sexy cop and the druggie. They bailed, so it would have been nice to see a burned-up Jeep at some point thereafter.

All in all, probably not enough character development to really make me care, but, like you say, it was definitely better than a lot of what hits the big screen, and miles better than the made-for-tv movies we grew up with.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• I read the book and really liked it. Will watch movie sometime soon.

Comment

• I watched the Ellen special. It was ok- I think her talk show is probably more funny, though. I'm checking out the Brian Regan skit show, which so far is about as funny as his standup, if not a little moreso, since it's probably just a little more bizarre.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Season 3 of The Last Kingdom has been awesome, as expected. It has been renewed for season 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                        Bird Box with Sandra Bullock. Based on a book I've not read. It's kind of two movies, one half takes place as the world is coming to an apocalyptic end and a group of strangers holes up in a home and tries to survive. This part worked well. The other half (it probably works out to much less than half, but whatever) is a flash forward. The flashes forward did not work as well for me, but overall an entertaining couple of hours. Fits the Netflix original mold, meaning that it probably isn't good enough to have succeeded as a theater release but it is better than network tv and helps to justify keeping Netflix.

A Quiet Place was far better but their wasn't much on last night. It was still better than Aquaman. DH hit all the major problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          Season 3 of The Last Kingdom has been awesome, as expected. It has been renewed for season 4.
                          Good to know... I'm S1E7 right now... it moves along well...

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

A Quiet Place was far better but their wasn't much on last night. It was still better than Aquaman. DH hit all the major problems.
                            If anything, peeps should prolly just watch Birdbox to understand all the memes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              Season 3 of The Last Kingdom has been awesome, as expected. It has been renewed for season 4.
                              I started this show (season 1) over the holidays. I've actually only watched 2 episodes. The first episode was great, the second less so. I need to push through to hope it gets better, but it hasn't left me wanting too much more.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                If anything, peeps should prolly just watch Birdbox to understand all the memes.

and to appreciate malkovich
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X