Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1277

Thread: The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

The current discussion about Lost in Space caused me to read a little more about the original series. The show, which debuted in 1965, when we were anxiously engaged in the Moon Race, reflected our expectations about the future. The family blasted off for space on October 16, 1997. This, along with shows like The Jetsons from '62 and movies like 2001--A Space Odyssey from '68, highlight how badly we've underachieved relative to my childhood expectations.

Also, the original theme music (and can we all agree TV show theme music from the 50s-70s was way better than today's, if there is any?) was composed by a young "Johnny" Williams. It sounds a lot like the theme from Jurassic Park, with methamphetamines. Williams mellowed out a bit 30 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I just watched the Crown.

Season 2 was a real freaking struggle to stay awake. I love history, and I've always been intrigued by the British monarch. I don't see how someone who does not share those interests could make it through the show so far.

I'm guessing season 4 will start with Chuck and Di's wedding. It could probably get interesting then.
    I wish I would have read this before starting this show. It has a decent IMDB rating. Ugh, what a waste of time. I got two episodes in and started the third only to fall asleep while watching on the bus. I guess I also find British royalty to be dumb.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I wish I would have read this before starting this show. It has a decent IMDB rating. Ugh, what a waste of time. I got two episodes in and started the third only to fall asleep while watching on the bus. I guess I also find British royalty to be dumb.
    My wife and I love British dramas, but we could only endure 1-2 episodes. Ugh...
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    My wife and I love British dramas, but we could only endure 1-2 episodes. Ugh...
    We started it too about a month ago. I think we're on episode two, just haven't picked it back up. One of those tap-outs that you don't even realize is going to be a tap-out.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    The current discussion about Lost in Space caused me to read a little more about the original series. The show, which debuted in 1965, when we were anxiously engaged in the Moon Race, reflected our expectations about the future. The family blasted off for space on October 16, 1997. This, along with shows like The Jetsons from '62 and movies like 2001--A Space Odyssey from '68, highlight how badly we've underachieved relative to my childhood expectations.

Also, the original theme music (and can we all agree TV show theme music from the 50s-70s was way better than today's, if there is any?) was composed by a young "Johnny" Williams. It sounds a lot like the theme from Jurassic Park, with methamphetamines. Williams mellowed out a bit 30 years later.
    That song has a Danny Elfman vibe to it.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    It was slow-moving and difficult to endure as my wife plodded through it.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    That song has a Danny Elfman vibe to it.
    You're right--it's like the Simpsons are driving to Jurassic Park.

Last night I watched the recently released netflix doc about Rachel Dolezal titled The Rachel Divide. I thought it was fascinating and well worth the watch. She is such a bizarre woman. Even now she refuses to back down one inch in spite of overwhelming backlash, especially from the black community. I alternated between anger and pity and bewilderment. The real star of the doc is her 14-yr-old son, Franklin. He is a very smart and interesting young man, who is hurt and frustrated by his mother and how her choices are destroying not just her life, but his too. Really feel sorry for that kid. He seems far wiser than his mother.

The final scene is a real jaw dropper.

Reviews have been mixed on this one, but don't let that dissuade you from watching it. There is a deliberate (and understandable) campaign to get people to NOT view the doc, in the spirit of not giving Dolezal another minute of undeserved fame or attention. Ditto for her new book, which only sold 596 copies on the first run. But I felt like the doc did a more than fair job of showing a balanced view.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

The real star of the doc is her 14-yr-old son, Franklin.

Has anyone seen the documentary series Evil Genius? I'm on the third episode. Totally fascinating.
    Last edited by originalsocal; 05-14-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Default The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Quote Originally Posted by originalsocal View Post
    Has anyone see the documentary series Evil Genius? I'm on the third episode. Totally fascinating.
    I am on Episode 3 as well. Very intriguing indeed.

Is this done by the same guys who did “Making a Murderer”? It definitely has that same feel..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by originalsocal View Post
    Has anyone see the documentary series Evil Genius? I'm on the third episode. Totally fascinating.
    Is that the bank robbery mini series? That looks really interesting.

Is that the bank robbery mini series? That looks really interesting.
    Yes. The guy who had a bomb wrapped around his neck.

Warning. They show it going off.

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    Yes. The guy who had a bomb wrapped around his neck.

Warning. They show it going off.

Dammit, db. No spoilers!

Dammit, db. No spoilers!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Seriously. So much for giving away what is most likely the most dramatic plot element of the entire series.

Dammit, db. No spoilers!
    This show is crazy! That's no spoiler.

Seriously. So much for giving away what is most likely the most dramatic plot element of the entire series.
    If only. Exploding dog collar happens waaaay early if that tells you anything. These people are unbelievable.

You guys are such pansy-ass whiney girls. That is not even a drop of the stuff that is on this documentary series..

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    You guys are such pansy-ass whiney girls. That is not even a drop of the stuff that is on this documentary series..

Holy shit! Just finished the last one. So good. A must watch imo.

Another Duplass Bros. production. I’ll give it a try, but that Rajneeshi doc was a total letdown. If this one sucks, I’m out on the Duplass docs.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Another Duplass Bros. production. I’ll give it a try, but that Rajneeshi doc was a total letdown. If this one sucks, I’m out on the Duplass docs.
    I watched the first two episodes. I liked it better than the Rajneeshi one.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

The Rajneeshi doc was good.

The Rajneeshi doc was good.
    You are right JL. I've watched them both. They both reel you in, but there is something that keeps haunting me about this Evil Genius. Maybe I've been hypnotized!!

Just finished it. Man.. I felt like 4 episodes was too short. Wished they had dived deeper into some of the people but overall it was very good.

I am also left a little haunted by the end. I do have some unanswered questions but will save them for when I can hide my comments.

Not sure how to put spoilers via TapaTalk.

rajneesh: great. learned how to properly pronounce bagwan. had been doing it wrong all these years.
    wormwood: yawn
    alphago: really, really well done. one of the best i've seen in quite a while
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Evil Genius was interesting, but in the end I don’t think they really showed enough to support all the conclusions the director made at the end. Lot’s of holes in the story, IMO. And none of the coconspirators, including the supposed “evil genius” seemed all that smart to me. The plan was convoluted, but it was also idiotic. The entire premise was farcical.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed watching it, but I don’t actually think it was that well made. Making A Murderer and The Jinx were so much better done. I liked the Rajneeshi doc a lot better too. Seemed like a cheap imitation of much better “true crime” docuseries, which is a shame given how bizarre the subject matter was. The director needed to dig in a little deeper.

I liked The Rachel Divide. She got my sympathy.

Evil Genius:

Spoiler for Spoiler:
    If the pizza guy was involved in the plot, why didnt he start blabbing as soon as the bomb started to beep? Why didnt he give names? If he wasnt in on the plot, why didnt he say that a man had put the collar on him, and a woman was the mastermind?

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I liked The Rachel Divide. She got my sympathy.
    Her kids have my sympathy.