The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
    That was nutty. Especially since I'm from Idaho Falls, that 70s Mormon drawl from Pocatello hit home. WTF. All that alien abduction brain washing was next level crazy.
    A buddy of mine I've known for years has the nickname "B." Ruined that for me.

Comment

• Russian Doll is kind of a trip, like if Groundhog Day dropped acid. The lead (who I think is also the show's creator) was a bit annoying at times, but overall it was an interesting metaphysical, time loop, multi-dimensional series with a splash of crazy. Reminded me a bit of reading Murakami.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        ...reading Murakami.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          Abducted in Plain Sight- disgusting, hard to watch, repulsive. The parents of the victim be in prison along with the perp. That was really hard to watch.

I had to stop watching it. Here's what I think happened, because there's no way her parents are really that stupid....selfish pricks? Yes, but not idiots.

Spoiler for Spoiler:
          Victim's dad is pretty obviously gay. I hate to resort to stereotypes, but thre's no other way to classify effeminate florists from Idaho who give their male friends hand jobs.

So, "B" has a sexual experience with dad, and capitalizes on undersexed mom, who is married to a gay guy in a mutually loving relationship, but she longs to be wanted.

"B" knows or becomes aware that dad is sexually active with dudes (maybe even gets photos or other evidence), and blackmails mom and dad to write the affidavits, let Jan go to Jackson Hole, etc., because if they don't, the whole world will know that dad is gay. In the mid-70s, that probably would have killed his business and reputation, as well as his church membership, etc.

So, those dipshit parents decide its better to offer up their daughter (who has a horrific case of Stockholm syndrome) to "B" to protect the rest of the family/livelihood.

This may have been addressed in the last 30 minutes, but I had to turn it off.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            I had to stop watching it. Here's what I think happened, because there's no way her parents are really that stupid....selfish pricks? Yes, but not idiots.

Spoiler for Spoiler:
            Victim's dad is pretty obviously gay. I hate to resort to stereotypes, but thre's no other way to classify effeminate florists from Idaho who give their male friends hand jobs.

So, "B" has a sexual experience with dad, and capitalizes on undersexed mom, who is married to a gay guy in a mutually loving relationship, but she longs to be wanted.

"B" knows or becomes aware that dad is sexually active with dudes (maybe even gets photos or other evidence), and blackmails mom and dad to write the affidavits, let Jan go to Jackson Hole, etc., because if they don't, the whole world will know that dad is gay. In the mid-70s, that probably would have killed his business and reputation, as well as his church membership, etc.

So, those dipshit parents decide its better to offer up their daughter (who has a horrific case of Stockholm syndrome) to "B" to protect the rest of the family/livelihood.

his floral arrangement business could have been absolutely ruined if people found out he was gay
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post

Spoiler for Spoiler:

I watched and was disgusted/horrified like everyone else. I'm not sure who I wanted to punch in the face more the mom or the dad. I think the mom is slightly more guilty but the dad was slightly more annoying the way he made himself cry talking about the things he regretted.

I think what you say is sort of right, but the crux of it was already directly acknowledged. He was manipulating the parents into giving him access and backing off legal action. I had a random thought that the alien stuff might have been exaggerated or misremembered somehow. I wonder if that was her coping mechanism slash excuse after the fact because she felt guilty and complicit in what she was doing (as a minor she's not complicit but the guilt is still there).
              Last edited by jay santos; 02-07-2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Yeaaahhhh.... it's too easy to say what YOU would have done in the situation, which is throw 'B' into the nearest wood chipper one minute into the story, but you don't know what it was like being in their shoes. They are obviously crazy crazy crazy naive and their defenses had been worn down on multiple fronts by a master manipulator. Again, I grew up in Eastern Idaho in the LDS community and I'm sure most what they describe as the norm-- nobody locking their doors, etc.-- was as true for many of us here as it was for them; they had no reason to doubt this guy's intentions for the longest time, and he seemed to have the Church's seal of approval since his 'therapist' or whomever recommended he spend time w their daughter was recommended by their mutual bishop (do I have that right?)

I was mostly shocked by how candid they were on camera. I guess it's essential to the context of why they acted so negligently toward their daughter's safety, but still.. I can't imagine that I know one dude in any of my past wards who would describe giving some other dude a handy on a whim just because he was asked about it. At least he seemed embarrassed about it.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Reviews coming in for Russian Doll are good:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/a...ix-review.html
                  If you prefer to be totally surprised by your TV shows, put down this review and watch “Russian Doll” when it comes out on Netflix on Friday. It’s eight short, acerbic, wittily profound episodes with a richly satisfying ending(s).
                  http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...131-story.html
                  “Russian Doll,” which begins streaming in its eight-episode entirety Friday on Netflix, is a beautiful puzzle piece, a circular, multiplane, existential mystery-comedy set in the villages of Lower Manhattan. Peopled with memorable characters large and small, it's a show that having watched once — not hard to do straight through and hard not to do straight through — you may want to watch again, to admire its machinery and joinery and find the clues you might have missed, but also because it feels just as good the second time around.
                  I'm going to be watching it for a second time this weekend. My wife didn't join me the first time around, and since she learned the show had an all female writer's room she wants to binge it.

Comment

• If you like cooking shows (and can speak Spanish, or at least tolerate subtitles), “Nailed it: Mexico.”

My sides still hurt.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      I watched and was disgusted/horrified like everyone else. I'm not sure who I wanted to punch in the face more the mom or the dad. I think the mom is slightly more guilty but the dad was slightly more annoying the way he made himself cry talking about the things he regretted.

I think what you say is sort of right, but the crux of it was already directly acknowledged. He was manipulating the parents into giving him access and backing off legal action. I had a random thought that the alien stuff might have been exaggerated or misremembered somehow. I wonder if that was her coping mechanism slash excuse after the fact because she felt guilty and complicit in what she was doing (as a minor she's not complicit but the guilt is still there).
                      The dad was super gay. You don't give a pal a handy because he complains isn't getting laid enough.

I'm really surprised (and obviously we don't know everything based on this film) that Jan didn't express more anger or hurt related to her parents. For many victims of abuse, the parents allowing her to be revictimized and failing to protect her can be as traumatic as the actual abuse. Her entire world was pertetually without safety. I think this also played a role in some her compliance and closeness with B.

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      Yeaaahhhh.... it's too easy to say what YOU would have done in the situation, which is throw 'B' into the nearest wood chipper one minute into the story, but you don't know what it was like being in their shoes. They are obviously crazy crazy crazy naive and their defenses had been worn down on multiple fronts by a master manipulator. Again, I grew up in Eastern Idaho in the LDS community and I'm sure most what they describe as the norm-- nobody locking their doors, etc.-- was as true for many of us here as it was for them; they had no reason to doubt this guy's intentions for the longest time, and he seemed to have the Church's seal of approval since his 'therapist' or whomever recommended he spend time w their daughter was recommended by their mutual bishop (do I have that right?)

I was mostly shocked by how candid they were on camera. I guess it's essential to the context of why they acted so negligently toward their daughter's safety, but still.. I can't imagine that I know one dude in any of my past wards who would describe giving some other dude a handy on a whim just because he was asked about it. At least he seemed embarrassed about it.
                      I'd like to know more the unlicensed psychologist who treated B. That is some crazy shit. At first I thought it might be have been weird form of exposure therapy, but it's like nothing I've never learned about. I have to think B was bullshiting about what the therapist allegedly asked him to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                        If you like cooking shows (and can speak Spanish, or at least tolerate subtitles), “Nailed it: Mexico.”

My sides still hurt.
                        Or, apparently, the English version.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          Or, apparently, the English version.
                          My daughters love every cooking show. We've watched Sugar Rush, Great British Baking Show, even that super weird goth one with the puppet monsters and crap. The one show we can't get into is Nailed It. Someone told us we had to watch the holiday special. The show just annoys me. Even my daughters get annoyed that these people can't follow recipes, don't know their way around a kitchen, and seem to lack any kind of common sense.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                            The dad was super gay. You don't give a pal a handy because he complains isn't getting laid enough.

I'm really surprised (and obviously we don't know everything based on this film) that Jan didn't express more anger or hurt related to her parents. For many victims of abuse, the parents allowing her to be revictimized and failing to protect her can be as traumatic as the actual abuse. Her entire world was pertetually without safety. I think this also played a role in some her compliance and closeness with B.

I'd like to know more the unlicensed psychologist who treated B. That is some crazy shit. At first I thought it might be have been weird form of exposure therapy, but it's like nothing I've never learned about. I have to think B was bullshiting about what the therapist allegedly asked him to do.
                            I assumed it was a given that a therapist never told B he should sleep in her bed as part of the healing process.

Also the dad was definitely gay.

The mom still gushes about B like she is in love with him. When he described him touching her "breasts" you can tell it still got her all hot and bothered.

Jan has to be so messed up these days.

I am curious about B's wife and kids. His wife obviously knew about this the entire time, she even convinced the parents not to call the police for what 5 days the first time Jan went missing?
                            *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                              I assumed it was a given that a therapist never told B he should sleep in her bed as part of the healing process.

Also the dad was definitely gay.

The mom still gushes about B like she is in love with him. When he described him touching her "breasts" you can tell it still got her all hot and bothered.

Jan has to be so messed up these days.

I am curious about B's wife and kids. His wife obviously knew about this the entire time, she even convinced the parents not to call the police for what 5 days the first time Jan went missing?
                              We watched this over the weekend. My jaw is still sore from hitting the floor so many times. Crazy that a pedophile like that happened to move next door to quite possibly the dumbest family in America.

I felt sorry for them for doing that documentary. How embarrassing.

We had the same question about B's wife. But at least she has the good sense to stay private.
                              Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 02-11-2019, 08:54 AM.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                                Yeaaahhhh.... it's too easy to say what YOU would have done in the situation, which is throw 'B' into the nearest wood chipper one minute into the story, but you don't know what it was like being in their shoes. They are obviously crazy crazy crazy naive and their defenses had been worn down on multiple fronts by a master manipulator. Again, I grew up in Eastern Idaho in the LDS community and I'm sure most what they describe as the norm-- nobody locking their doors, etc.-- was as true for many of us here as it was for them; they had no reason to doubt this guy's intentions for the longest time, and he seemed to have the Church's seal of approval since his 'therapist' or whomever recommended he spend time w their daughter was recommended by their mutual bishop (do I have that right?)

I can get on board with what you're saying up to the point that the parents have to go to Mexico to retrieve their daughter. After that, their naivete is no more. They're just horrible parents.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X