The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I've been watching Godless. It's pretty good if you like Westerns. Jeff Daniels plays the main villain. I don't think it's a spoiler to mention that the origin of his character is that his family is killed in the Mountain Meadows Massacre when he's a boy and then he's raised by the Mormons who killed his family. He still apparently believes because he tells people the Garden of Eden is in Missouri.
    Now that's a Western villain origin story!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      I've been watching Godless. It's pretty good if you like Westerns. Jeff Daniels plays the main villain. I don't think it's a spoiler to mention that the origin of his character is that his family is killed in the Mountain Meadows Massacre when he's a boy and then he's raised by the Mormons who killed his family. He still apparently believes because he tells people the Garden of Eden is in Missouri.
      Was about to post the same thing. Interesting to see if this goes beyond the one episode or if it plays a bigger role in the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond - Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton.
        https://www.avclub.com/jim-andy-s-lo...eal-1820468950

I really liked this documentary. Well worth watching for anyone that is a fan of Andy Kaufman or was a fan of the movie Man on the Moon.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond - Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton.
          https://www.avclub.com/jim-andy-s-lo...eal-1820468950

I really liked this documentary. Well worth watching for anyone that is a fan of Andy Kaufman or was a fan of the movie Man on the Moon.
          This might be the first time I agree with funk in this thread. I also liked this. It probably helped that I remember liking MotM. Jim Carrey kind of comes across as a DB (so accurate i guess?)
          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
            Started Mindhunter on the suggestion of several people I trust. Wasn't overly impressed with episode 1 but I'm going to stick with it for a few more. Would be rated a hard R if it were a movie. A shotgun suicide opens the series and the camera which is fairly close up never pulls away. I have no idea how they did that, but I kind of wish they hadn't.
            I'm about 4-5 episodes in, and I have to admit I am really enjoying it. I feel like it is building towards something interesting with the ADT guy in Kansas (I'm trying to avoid spoilers as to who that might be). I also think some of the individual performances are really good. For example, the guy who plays Ed Kemper is great. I could watch that guy get interviewed all day.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• New Netflix series that debuts in February called Altered Carbon. Based on a sci-fi novel that I've never read. Rumored to be the most expensive Netflix series to date.

Teaser trailer (somewhat NSFW)

The trailer introduces the novel’s central McGuffin: in Morgan’s version of the future, people can digitally copy their memories and personalities into a “cortical stack” and implant them in a new body, called a sleeve. The process allows people (usually the rich and famous) to avoid death by jumping from body to body. Last week, Netflix began teasing the show with a couple of in-universe teasers for Psychasec, the company responsible for “sleeving” people.

In Morgan’s novel, a dead soldier named Takeshi Kovacs (Suicide Squad’s Joel Kinnaman), is brought back to life centuries after his mind was imprisoned “on ice.” Earth’s wealthiest man, Laurens Bancroft (Antonio Marziale) hires him for an unusual task: someone murdered Bancroft’s previous body, and the new version wants Kovacs to track down the killer. As he takes on the case, Kovacs begins to realize that his own past might be relevant. The novel was followed by two sequels, Broken Angels and Woken Furies, which gives Netflix plenty of options for future seasons.
              https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/4/1...tch-first-look
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                New Netflix series that debuts in February called Altered Carbon. Based on a sci-fi novel that I've never read. Rumored to be the most expensive Netflix series to date.

Teaser trailer (somewhat NSFW)

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/4/1...tch-first-look
                That looks good.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  More about Last Chance U: I watched the first two episodes and they were really well done. Most of you know that I hate sports movies. They're so manipulative; it always comes down to the last few seconds, when our plucky little athletes, facing incredible odds, have somehow pulled within a single score of winning. Then the light go low, the motion goes slow, and the violins surge, and the hero slowly crosses the plane. But this docuseries is all true-- it really happened that way. And sometimes the protagonist doesnt win.

This will be of interest to you ute fans: one of the main characters is a truly gifted running back named DJ Law. Like all of the other guys on the team, Law was accepted by a D1 program, only to fail due to grades, (they are all there due to grades or off-the-field issues, or insubordination with the coaching staff-- this is why the series is called Last Chance U). Law was supposed to play for the Utes, and in episode 1, you see him waving a Utah hat wistfully, like he knows he could have gotten to D1 had he just studied harder. (Actually, he's this guy who signed with both Utah and Ole Miss.) The camera pulls in for a closeup interview: Law admits that even with his athletic ability, he doesn't know how to study; he's so disciplined on the field and so undisciplined in the classroom. Later in the episode, we meet Law's father who is a common street thug, in and out of jail, and so young he seems more like Law's brother. Law says that in coming to JUCO, he has gotten farther in education than anyone else in his family, ever. I wonder how he even manages to get that far-- it is obvious that he was never given the tools to study and to read. This series does a great job in explaining how even the most gifted athlete on the gridiron can be crushed by the demands of collegiate life.

There are plenty of subplots, involving the one woman in the movie, the QB controversy, the huge beefy lineman who is dumb as a box of rocks and who has learned that his size allows him to bully everyone. (Mute whenever he is onscreen, because he only knows 10 words, and 4 of them are versions of the F word). I like the player Isaiah, pretty laid back, but capable of some gutsy moves when it involves football. (There's a hilarious scene where he puts himself in the game on kickoff return, and he runs the ball back and scores a touchdown, with the coach on the sideline yelling "Who's that guy?") I like the offensive coordinator who doesn't really swear and seems to be a religious man. I like the white QB vying for the starting role-- unlike most of the other players, he is not there for bad reasons- he didn't get a shot at D1 and figures winning a championship at a JUCO will step him up to a decent program. But he has options-- he tells the camera that if he doesn't make it in football, he'll probably go to Ole Miss and play intramurals and graduate the average joe way.
                  Revisiting this post and Season 2:

Isaiah Wright is now in prison for Murder

DJ Law flunked out of UAB

John Franklin III left Florida State to attend EMCC, doesn't win the starting job still gets an offer to Auburn, he then leaves Auburn after not starting and is now at FAU with Lane Kiffin where he pulled a Kaelin Clay last week dropping the ball before crossing the end zone on an easy TD

The white QB Wyatt Roberts was invited to walk-on at Mississippi State. He was going to give up football at Attend Miss State either way but when they invited him to walk-on it was a no brainer.

Ronald Ollie the D-lineman you can't understand as you stated, attended Nicholls State. He had a huge year but then quit because he wants to attend Bama. Who doesn't want him.

I just finished season 2: Buddy Stephens the coach is still an asshole.

Deandre Johnson who was the best QB in JC ball ended up with one offer to FAU, he was playing JC because he was booted out of FSU for punching a woman. He was slated to start at FAu this year before he got sick and missed the majority of the season.

Tim Bonner who was kicked out of Louisville for carrying a gun on campus is also at FAU (Lane Kiffin loves these guys) and Lane just tweeted out today a picture of Bonner holding his report card where he ended up with straight B's.

Chauncey Rivers failed 3 drug tests at Georgia went to EMCC and is now at Miss State where he was ineligible this past season due to grades.

Dakota Allen is the true success story, he was kicked out of Texas Tech and banned from campus for 2 years for burglary and theft. He spends a year at EMCC, and received a waiver to return to Texas tech where this past season he has 105 tackles. He is also now a straight A student.

Kam Carter went from penn State to EMCC to now Pitt where he redshirted due to Academics.

Vijay Miller who was slated to become the starting QB this year was drafted in the 3rd round of the MLB draft by the padres and left school to pursue baseball

Fun show to watch, they renewed it for a season 3 but they are headed to Independence community college in Kansas next season. Which is to bad because EMCC just won the junior college national championship last Saturday.
                  *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    Revisiting this post and Season 2:

Isaiah Wright is now in prison for Murder

DJ Law flunked out of UAB

John Franklin III left Florida State to attend EMCC, doesn't win the starting job still gets an offer to Auburn, he then leaves Auburn after not starting and is now at FAU with Lane Kiffin where he pulled a Kaelin Clay last week dropping the ball before crossing the end zone on an easy TD

The white QB Wyatt Roberts was invited to walk-on at Mississippi State. He was going to give up football at Attend Miss State either way but when they invited him to walk-on it was a no brainer.

Ronald Ollie the D-lineman you can't understand as you stated, attended Nicholls State. He had a huge year but then quit because he wants to attend Bama. Who doesn't want him.

I just finished season 2: Buddy Stephens the coach is still an asshole.

Deandre Johnson who was the best QB in JC ball ended up with one offer to FAU, he was playing JC because he was booted out of FSU for punching a woman. He was slated to start at FAu this year before he got sick and missed the majority of the season.

Tim Bonner who was kicked out of Louisville for carrying a gun on campus is also at FAU (Lane Kiffin loves these guys) and Lane just tweeted out today a picture of Bonner holding his report card where he ended up with straight B's.

Chauncey Rivers failed 3 drug tests at Georgia went to EMCC and is now at Miss State where he was ineligible this past season due to grades.

Dakota Allen is the true success story, he was kicked out of Texas Tech and banned from campus for 2 years for burglary and theft. He spends a year at EMCC, and received a waiver to return to Texas tech where this past season he has 105 tackles. He is also now a straight A student.

Kam Carter went from penn State to EMCC to now Pitt where he redshirted due to Academics.

Vijay Miller who was slated to become the starting QB this year was drafted in the 3rd round of the MLB draft by the padres and left school to pursue baseball

Fun show to watch, they renewed it for a season 3 but they are headed to Independence community college in Kansas next season. Which is to bad because EMCC just won the junior college national championship last Saturday.
                    We saw the sign for Scooba while driving from Memphis to Starksville. After seeing all these small MS towns, getting someone from out of state to play there is almost as big of accomplishment of getting a commit to Pullman WA, or Ames Iowa.

I enjoyed Last Chance. The two players who I was rooting for the succeed post psychopath Buddy, were Dakota and Deandre. However, it did appear at time that Deandre was very aware of the cameras presence and used the opportunity as an audition. Hard to tell if he is a good guy who made a bad mistake, or a bad dude who knows how to act in public.

The real winner of the show was Brittany Wagnar. She seemed smart, likable, and genuinely concerned about the kids more than just for football (basically the exact opposite of Buddy). Hopefully, her new career is working out well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                      We saw the sign for Scooba while driving from Memphis to Starksville. After seeing all these small MS towns, getting someone from out of state to play there is almost as big of accomplishment of getting a commit to Pullman WA, or Ames Iowa.

I enjoyed Last Chance. The two players who I was rooting for the succeed post psychopath Buddy, were Dakota and Deandre. However, it did appear at time that Deandre was very aware of the cameras presence and used the opportunity as an audition. Hard to tell if he is a good guy who made a bad mistake, or a bad dude who knows how to act in public.

The real winner of the show was Brittany Wagnar. She seemed smart, likable, and genuinely concerned about the kids more than just for football (basically the exact opposite of Buddy). Hopefully, her new career is working out well.
                      I read that Wagner is consulting with about 30-40 school districts and commands between 10-15k per speaking engagement. So she is probably doing much better than her time at EMCC.

DeAndre did seem to be putting on a show for the camera. But he has stayed out of trouble since, so we will see.

I agree on Dakota, he was the one guy I was rooting for the most.
                      *Banned*

Comment

• The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

I have been watching MindHunter.

This is a very intriguing show about the FBI and the concept of Behavior Science into criminals. It takes place in the 1970’s and is all around the study of what we know as Serial Killers. They go around interviewing what they first call “Sequence Killers” to help identify the MO and behaviors.

Really very interesting show and if you like facts wrapped up in fiction you will enjoy this too. Specially if you like such things criminal behavior..

The interviews mesmerizing. How they nail these guys is unreal..

I highly recommend it!!

Last edited by dabrockster; 12-12-2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                          I have been watching MindHunter.

This is a very intriguing show about the FBI and the concept of Behavior Science into criminals. It takes place in the 1970’s and is all around the study of what we know as Serial Killers. They go around interviewing what they first call “Sequence Killers” to help identify the MO and behaviors.

Really very interesting show and if you like facts wrapped up in fiction you will enjoy this too. Specially if you like such things criminal behavior..

The interviews mesmerizing. How they nail these guys is unreal..

I highly recommend it!!

Just started this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            Just started this week.
                            I'm 6 episodes in. I think its really good. Not great, but very entertaining. I wish I were watching an episode right now.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Last episode finished of Mindhunters

Holy $hit. That ending was intense..

Last edited by dabrockster; 12-13-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Netflix series based on Marvel Comics

I've enjoyed movies and series based on the Marvel comics, so after finishing all of the episodes of The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., I started looking over the Netflix menu for other series. Iron Fist was interesting, but I sort of lost interest after about half a dozen episodes, planning to eventually finish it. Then I started on Daredevil for about another half dozen episodes. Moving on to Defenders I realized that it ties a bunch of other series together: Iron Fist, Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones. So I had to go back and start watching those last two and now I think I'm hooked on all five. Here is a quick summary of what each of them are about, in case you think you might be interested in them.

Iron Fist - Danny Rand, the son of a billionaire founder of a drug company survives a plane crash (that kills his parents) somewhere up in the Himalayas resembling Shangri La, trains in martial arts for ten years, then comes back to New York. The big villian is an evil ancient organization and he is the chosen one to stop them. However, the people running his father's company are also villians that he must fight. His super power, other than amazing martial arts skills, is that when things really get tough his hand starts glowing and he does serious damage to anything that he hits.

Daredevil - A kid gets blinded in some sort of car crash that kills his parents. The crash has something to do with toxic or radioactive chemicals that give him enhanced abilities so that even though he can't see, it's like he has more than sight and can use his martial arts skills to fight evil in the Hell's Kitchen area (Irish neighborhood). I'm not sure I've identified a specific villian that he fights. The series starts just after he graduates from law school and starts a law practice with his best friend Foggy Nelson. Somewhere around the fourth or fifth episode it is explaines how he developed his skills.

Luke Cage - A guy gets out of prison, having super strength and bullet proof skin. He goes around Harlem trying to get rid of bad guys. The villian is a local gangster and his politician cousin. The fourth episode explains where his powers come from.

Jessica Jones - A New York private investigator who is almost as strong as Luke Cage, likes to drink cheap whiskey, and curses a lot. The villian is some British guy who is very good at mind control. I still don't know how she got her powers. This is the series that I've enjoyed the most for some reason. She knows Luke Cage and this series seems to come after the whole Luke Cage series.

Defenders - The whole gang gets together, but it takes about four episodes of them fighting evil as well as each other before they finally come together to help fight the people that Iron Fist has been fighting all along.

Comment

Working...
                                X