X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
    Anon.

Haunting and fascinating.

"It's not that I have something to hide. It's that I have nothing I want you to see."
    Amanda Siegfried had a lot of nudity in it. I didn’t like the ending but the premise was good.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      I don't think an Armenian/German is the same as a German when it comes to humor. Particularly if she is making jokes about Kurdish massacres.

I think the French are being disrespected. Slapstick, done well, is still very funny. Disparaging it as passé is sort of déclassé. And if you are so ugly it's funny, then it's funny.

I actually think what other cultures find amusing reflects more about what is otherwise going on in the culture than it does about how advanced their comedy is.

Perhaps the reason Indian comics that have lived in America seem funnier to you is because you live in America.
      To comprehend and appreciate humor in another language from another culture, requires a high level of understanding both language and culture.
      With that said, I didn't find German culture to have a fully developed sense humor even when I comprehended the nuances. German culture is very serious, plodding and prodding. It has much to recommend it but light-heartedness and humor is not one of them.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
        Amanda Siegfried had a lot of nudity in it. I didn’t like the ending but the premise was good.
        I'm not sure I noticed.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          She is a very talented artist. That was a surprising revelation.

“Hasn’t suffered enough” is not an accurate portrayal of the problem. If there was ever a case of white privilege, this would be it. There is no way on earth a black person could just choose to identify as white and get away with it. Furthermore, the suffering she has endured is a result of stupid decisions and blatant lies. You don’t earn respect that way.

The real killer was the ending. In spite of all the bad karma coming her way and in spite of her kids literally begging her to knock it off, she legally changes her name to an African name. That has to be one of the dumbest, most tone deaf, least self-aware things I have ever seen.
          She is so sadly messed up (her parents don't have a very good track record). Talented artist. I was struck how her son/brother was able to fly off to Europe to decompress. Where did that money come from?

Now she may be going to jail for welfare fraud.

Rachel Dolezal, the white woman who posed as black, charged with welfare fraud
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Apparently you can (or could) buy something called "melanin spectrum dolls" on her website

https://racheldolezal.com/index.php/...um-girl-dolls/

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
              She is so sadly messed up (her parents don't have a very good track record). Talented artist. I was struck how her son/brother was able to fly off to Europe to decompress. Where did that money come from?

Now she may be going to jail for welfare fraud.

Rachel Dolezal, the white woman who posed as black, charged with welfare fraud
              Lock her up, lock her up. That's not the her people want locked up.

Comment

• The Tig Nataro stand up special is great.

Comment

• Bombshell covers the life of Hedy Lamarr, thought by many to be the most beautiful woman ever to grace the screen. But her greatest contribution was her invention of frequency hopping, technology that is the basis for Bluetooth, WiFi, and other technologies. As an Austrian Jew, she wanted to do something that would help the Allies and came up with a better way to guide torpedoes, but in exchange for providing her patent to the U.S. military, she received nothing. The technology's value today is estimated at $30 Billion.

She died essentially penniless, due in large part to drug addiction and countless bad plastic surgeries late in her life. The movie is is based on a long interview with her late in life and her voice is featured throughout. The sad but very interesting story features lots of clips from her movies, including her first film, the scandalous Ecstasy in which she appeared nude and was shown apparently climaxing (the movie was banned by Hitler). Pretty tame by today's standards, but note bene...

Comment

• Watch Nanette, the “comedy” special by Hannah Gadsby. You won’t regret it.

Comment

• ali wongs standup special is awesome
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        ali wongs standup special is awesome
                        I watched it too. She's great. Gross, but great.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I'm not sure if this as been talked about here but we just made it through the first season of GLOW and it's pretty funny. Sam the manager and his interactions with all the wrestlers are good for some laughs.

Comment

• New Trailer for ST3 is our..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                              New Trailer for ST3 is our..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Is our what?
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Is our what?
                                That is for each viewer to decide.

Comment

Working...
                                X