No announcement yet.

The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I enjoyed Inside Bill's Brain: Decoding Bill Gates. A lot. It consists of three one-hour segments that provide a lot of insight into the way Gates thinks, focusing on three projects of the Gates Foundation (sanitation in the third world, eradication of polio, and a new kind of nuclear power plant), as well as his formative relationships with his mother, Paul Allen, Melinda, and Warren Buffett. The formation and evolution of Microsoft gets a lot of attention as well. Perhaps a little hagiographic, but there's still a lot of useful and stimulating information.

The nuclear power plant seems like an outstanding solution to diminish most greenhouse gas emissions, but construction of a working prototype has been cancelled because of Trump's trade war.

A small point: Gates is a voracious reader and takes a dozen or more books whenever he travels. Two he took on a recent trip: Enlightenment Now and Educated, faves of several of us here.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I enjoyed Inside Bill's Brain: Decoding Bill Gates. A lot. It consists of three one-hour segments that provide a lot of insight into the way Gates thinks, focusing on three projects of the Gates Foundation (sanitation in the third world, eradication of polio, and a new kind of nuclear power plant), as well as his formative relationships with his mother, Paul Allen, Melinda, and Warren Buffett. The formation and evolution of Microsoft gets a lot of attention as well. Perhaps a little hagiographic, but there's still a lot of useful and stimulating information.

The nuclear power plant seems like an outstanding solution to diminish most greenhouse gas emissions, but construction of a working prototype has been cancelled because of Trump's trade war.

A small point: Gates is a voracious reader and takes a dozen or more books whenever he travels. Two he took on a recent trip: Enlightenment Now and Educated, faves of several of us here.
      I've watched the first two hours and agree it is great. Definitely hagiographic, but he is a really fascinating person. It definitely paints him in a good light, and he is promoting it on his twitter. I wonder how much involvement he had with the edit and final production. Definitely worth a watch, even though it probably sugar coats things a bit too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
        Finally watched Russian Doll. Binged the whole series on a four hour flight. Loved it. Natasha's character is excellent.
        Love that show. Natasha Lyon is fantastic.

Comment

• Top Boy - Fantastic! The British version of The Wire (but a little more stylized).

The first two seasons ran on Channel 4 in the UK a few years ago. Drake became a fan and revived it to produce a third season, which is now on Netflix. I haven't watched the newest stuff produced by Drake yet, although I've heard it is great. The two original UK seasons, however, are on Netflix now under the title "Top Boy: Summerhouse." I'm about half way through the second season and it is really, really good. If you liked The Wire, I think you'd definitely like Top Boy. Probably need to watch it with subtitles though.

Comment

• Natasha Lyonne is in Ad Astra, playing essentially the same character as she does in Orange is the New Black. I didn't know her partner is Fred Armisen.

Comment

• Re: Russian Doll.

I love the song that is playing each time Nadia regenerates, for lack of a better word. I instantly recognized the artist, although I didn't know the song before that. The voice, the tempo, the instruments, the style. Clearly it is a Jukebox the Ghost song. But I can't find it on their latest album. Maybe its a single? Can't find it there either. Maybe it was written specifically for the show? Finally, I google it.

Its a Harry Nilsson song written in 1971. That blew my mind. I know Harry Nilsson, I've listened to lots of his stuff, I recognize his voice. But I didn't know this song. I was thoroughly convinced that this was a modern song, modern recording, modern artist, etc.

Interestingly, I while looking at how I get this so wrong, I found the following AMA with Jukebox the Ghost:

If you absolutely HAD to add a fourth member to the band, and it could be anyone, alive or dead, who would it be?

Harry Nilsson, dead.

-the whole band
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I enjoyed Inside Bill's Brain: Decoding Bill Gates. A lot. It consists of three one-hour segments that provide a lot of insight into the way Gates thinks, focusing on three projects of the Gates Foundation (sanitation in the third world, eradication of polio, and a new kind of nuclear power plant), as well as his formative relationships with his mother, Paul Allen, Melinda, and Warren Buffett. The formation and evolution of Microsoft gets a lot of attention as well. Perhaps a little hagiographic, but there's still a lot of useful and stimulating information.

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                I've watched the first two hours and agree it is great. Definitely hagiographic, but he is a really fascinating person. It definitely paints him in a good light, and he is promoting it on his twitter. I wonder how much involvement he had with the edit and final production. Definitely worth a watch, even though it probably sugar coats things a bit too much.
                Def hagiographic. Can you imagine being a person who doesn't know what hagiographic means? I'm glad that's something I don't have to worry about. But supposing you did have to worry about it, how would you guys define it (for the benefit of the less refined among us, of course)?
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                  Def hagiographic. Can you imagine being a person who doesn't know what hagiographic means? I'm glad that's something I don't have to worry about. But supposing you did have to worry about it, how would you guys define it (for the benefit of the less refined among us, of course)?
                  https://lmgtfy.com/?q=hagiographic
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

For me, it means a flattering and less than balanced view of a subject. Inside Bill's Brain could/should have been more critical of him, including how he essentially got a monopoly with DOS and his anticompetitive behaviors, among other things. But it does bring up some of Bill's negatives, and still provides a lot of insightful information about how Bill came to be Bill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      P-lads, I know I can google it, bruh. Just trying out a little self-deprecating humor.

Comment

P-lads, I know I can google it, bruh. Just trying out a little self-deprecating humor.
                        Rather than self-deprecate, I looked it up when I first saw it from PAC and UVA.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

For me, it means a flattering and less than balanced view of a subject. Inside Bill's Brain could/should have been more critical of him, including how he essentially got a monopoly with DOS and his anticompetitive behaviors, among other things. But it does bring up some of Bill's negatives, and still provides a lot of insightful information about how Bill came to be Bill.
                          I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was clearly not an unbiased biography. From my POV it was a feel-good piece that sought to highlight a couple of the primary projects being pursued and promoted by the Gates Foundation, which projects are pretty impressive. But there are some shortcomings in the program, to be sure. Not only the fairly light treatment of his business practices (the legal condemnation of which he sort of blames on his naive behavior that made him 'appear' arrogant at a videotaped deposition), but also his sometimes surprisingly ground-bound world view. For example, they played a clip of Bill where he is talking about the future, when 'some people,' with whom he agrees, think there will be a software store in every town. This was at about the same time that Steve Jobs was trying to advance his own vision of completely wireless dispersal of software and all other content. Unlike guys like Jobs, Gates rarely sees the future, he sees problems that he wants to solve and he hires people that can be visionary and can try to solve them. This is not a criticism, but is something I felt was made clear by the program. Well worth watching.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Rather than self-deprecate, I looked it up when I first saw it from PAC and UVA.
                            Yeah, I did too.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was clearly not an unbiased biography. From my POV it was a feel-good piece that sought to highlight a couple of the primary projects being pursued and promoted by the Gates Foundation, which projects are pretty impressive. But there are some shortcomings in the program, to be sure. Not only the fairly light treatment of his business practices (the legal condemnation of which he sort of blames on his naive behavior that made him 'appear' arrogant at a videotaped deposition), but also his sometimes surprisingly ground-bound world view. For example, they played a clip of Bill where he is talking about the future, when 'some people,' with whom he agrees, think there will be a software store in every town. This was at about the same time that Steve Jobs was trying to advance his own vision of completely wireless dispersal of software and all other content. Unlike guys like Jobs, Gates rarely sees the future, he sees problems that he wants to solve and he hires people that can be visionary and can try to solve them. This is not a criticism, but is something I felt was made clear by the program. Well worth watching.
                              Good points. Coincidentally, I watched a good chunk of Jobs again last night and was thinking about the differences between him and Gates, and they're consistent with what you've observed. Gates is obsessed with problem-solving; Jobs was a total jerk but had groundbreaking ideas for the future. Both brilliant people, but very different.

Comment

• Season 3 of Hip Hop Evolution. The Pass the Mic episode is great. I haven't watched any of the other episodes yet.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X