Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 1803

Thread: The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

The Irishman. Another masterpiece from Martin Scorsese

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    The Irishman. Another masterpiece from Martin Scorsese

That movie was a slow burn. Martin could have used an editor or two. I enjoyed it quite a bit but it was 60 minutes too long. Also, the denouement was pretty weak.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    That movie was a slow burn. Martin could have used an editor or two. I enjoyed it quite a bit but it was 60 minutes too long. Also, the denouement was pretty weak.
    Yup it’s worth watching but I definitely agree they could have cut an hour out of the movie.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Yup it’s worth watching but I definitely agree they could have cut an hour out of the movie.
    I'm just glad that I was able to watch it at home instead of in a theater. That way I could take several intermissions.

Default The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    I'm just glad that I was able to watch it at home instead of in a theater. That way I could take several intermissions.
    I watched over two days. Might be why I enjoyed it still. That in a theater would have been hard.

I enjoyed the slow burn of the movie. It had a nice buildup to when he “allegedly” popped Hoffa..

His story seems compelling and simplistic.

I read all about others who refute his story but that is part of the whole mystery around Hoffa’s death/disappearance. If it is done right, we will never know and if he was in fact a hit man for Hoffa and the mob, to go unnoticed until his book was released after his death is equally telling that his story could be true..

I saw this in the theatre-- straight shot of 3.5 hours. A pretty easy watch when it's in a dark theatre and has your undivided attention. I don't know if I could do it at home with the distraction of my phone, etc.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Saw everything but the denouement which, thanks to dabrockster, I don't need to watch anymore.

This is Martin Scorsese not at his best. No innovation in filmmaking. No new ideas. No new devices to rachett up the onscreen tension. The same old two-characters-sitting-in-front-of-a-window-with-outside-scenery-getting-larger. The same apology to the capo in the form of a hit. The same messy assassination in the italian restaurant. The only thing I thought was interesting and new was Joe Pesci's character trying to buy the loyalty of the Irishman's daughter as she grows. His paranoia leading him to watch everyone, even a 6 year old girl.

The other thing that struck me was that Scorsese used to film his actors as they currently appeared, and then age them with makeup for flash forwards n the future. In this movie he had to film them as old men, and de-age them for scenes in their youth.

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    The Devil Next Door. Interesting documentary series about the individual who was accused of being Ivan The Terrible and executed thousands of Jews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We just finished this last night. Fascinating.
    Started this after the AFC Divisional, just finished the 5 episodes. Sickening and riveting at the same time.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

what streamer? i am interested

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Netflix.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Netflix.
    KL could use twitch to watch someone else watching it on Netflix.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Giri/Haji is really good. A crime drama based in London and Tokyo. A Japanese detective has to go to London to track down his gangster brother. Really artistic, lots of subtitles and subplots, unique filming with a little anime. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Giri/Haji is really good. A crime drama based in London and Tokyo. A Japanese detective has to go to London to track down his gangster brother. Really artistic, lots of subtitles and subplots, unique filming with a little anime. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
    What language is it in?

It is about half English and half Japanese.

What's the content like? Reviews seem very favorable; surprised it hasn't had more press.

Default The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Armenag View Post
    What's the content like? Reviews seem very favorable; surprised it hasn't had more press.
    It is for mature audiences: it takes place mostly in London, so fair share of F-bombs, a couple quick sex scenes, a few shootouts, drug use, some cutting off of fingers (Japanese mafia atonement), etc. the finger cutting was the only thing that I thought was a little too graphic. I really enjoyed the use of sound, good music (Japanese and English) in parts that are supported by silence in other parts. The climax/ending was a little strange since it included an interpretive dance routine.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 01-16-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out. I watch a lot of japanese programming on netflix.

BTW, don't waste your time with The Outsider - netflix movie about an american guy who joins the yakuza. Absolutely horrible.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out. I watch a lot of japanese programming on netflix.

BTW, don't waste your time with The Outsider - netflix movie about an american guy who joins the yakuza. Absolutely horrible.
    For a moment I thought you were talking about the upcoming HBO series The Outsider about a child murder in the U.S. and I thought "the yakuza?!?"
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    For a moment I thought you were talking about the upcoming HBO series The Outsider about a child murder in the U.S. and I thought "the yakuza?!?"
    That is the Stephen King adaption. It will probably suck even though the book was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    That is the Stephen King adaption. It will probably suck even though the book was pretty good.
    Looks pretty good.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Did anyone watch Messiah? Despite garnering a lousy 41% on RT (7.9 on IMDB), I found it mildly entertaining, if a bit ponderous at times. The eponymous character is a mysterious character who many in the Middle East and the U.S. believe may be THE Messiah, but the CIA and others think he's at least a fraud, and possibly a terrorist. One element I found amusing was that the show's POTUS, who wonders if the mystery man is the real deal, turns out to be LDS. The implication is that because of POTUS's belief in things like angels and golden plates (specifically mentioned), he's more inclined to believe the guy. I would think an LDS POTUS would be far less likely to believe such a thing, unless RMN had tipped him off that the guy was legit...

POTUS's name is President Young, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Did anyone watch Messiah? Despite garnering a lousy 41% on RT (7.9 on IMDB), I found it mildly entertaining, if a bit ponderous at times. The eponymous character is a mysterious character who many in the Middle East and the U.S. believe may be THE Messiah, but the CIA and others think he's at least a fraud, and possibly a terrorist. One element I found amusing was that the show's POTUS, who wonders if the mystery man is the real deal, turns out to be LDS. The implication is that because of POTUS's belief in things like angels and golden plates (specifically mentioned), he's more inclined to believe the guy. I would think an LDS POTUS would be far less likely to believe such a thing, unless RMN had tipped him off that the guy was legit...

We are a couple episodes in. I like the premise.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

It raises interesting questions about belief. BTW, the POTUS element of the story is a very minor one, and I don't think he appears until episode 8 or so.

It raises interesting questions about belief. BTW, the POTUS element of the story is a very minor one, and I don't think he appears until episode 8 or so.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I skipped it assuming it was probably some lame modern version of the gospels. In fact, I very much like it.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

First episode of Little America, free on AppleTV. This show purports to be true stories of indian immigrants in America. The first one is about a 12-year old indian boy, who helps his parents to run a motel in Green River, UT. They get called back to India, leave the kid in the care of an "uncle" who soon deserts the kid. The 12-year old ends up running the motel for years until his parent successfully return with their US visa. The kid is now about 20.

First episode of Little America, free on AppleTV. This show purports to be true stories of indian immigrants in America. The first one is about a 12-year old indian boy, who helps his parents to run a motel in Green River, UT. They get called back to India, leave the kid in the care of an "uncle" who soon deserts the kid. The 12-year old ends up running the motel for years until his parent successfully return with their US visa. The kid is now about 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Yeah this this the second time in as many weeks KL has demonstrated that she struggles with the idea of separate threads for each of the major streaming providers.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I know it's obvs the wrong thread, but was that kid in the spelling bee a few years back? I swear I remember a Green River motel kid being in the bee....

Is it safe for mrs. myboynoah?
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Is it safe for mrs. myboynoah?
    Not sure what the standard is here, but I'd say "probably." There's a little rough language, and one brief sex scene, but Mrs. PAC wasn't bothered. The series is produced by Christian TV moguls Mark Burnett and Roma Downey.