Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1493

Thread: The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

  1. #1441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post

    Let me guess, you all also love Cormac McCarthy and his total disregard for punctuation. I really don't like his stuff either.
    On this, we agree. On O Brother, we disagree.

  2. #1442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I was waiting for this moron to jump on the bandwagon, the first time he actually takes a semi-controversial position will be the first. You do know there has been research performed on this?

    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...f_bisexual_men




    Translation for the dummies out there -- while there are a number of men that try to identify as bisexual, their actual response to male or female images indicates that most of them are homosexual or, rarely, actually heterosexual.
    that’s totally non responsive to the question asked you dingleberry. you are a true window licking idiot.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  3. #1443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    He's a closeted homosexual. Yes, I don't believe there are really male bisexuals who truly switch back and forth. That's not to say some heterosexual men don't engage in gay sex in certain extreme situations -- like in prison. But bisexual means that your preference for one sex or the other is evenly split, or close to it

    Honestly, has anyone known a dude -- other than prisoners-- who starts dating dudes and decides "what the hell, I'll go back to women for a little while?" Time and again we hear of guys like Lance Bass and Elton John who have relationships with women and then start hanging with men, and they never go back to women. They were closeted gay men.
    Where did you get that limited definition of bisexuality? By the way, that isn't the definition of being bisexual.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  4. #1444
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    I'm howling over here catching up w this thread...
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  5. #1445

    Default

    I watched IO over the weekend. I thought it was a dud. It felt like the movie was slowly building up to something exciting but ended before anything actually happened. In retrospect the trailer was misleading and gave me the wrong impression of the movie; I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had different expectations.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  6. #1446

    Default

    Alt-Right: Age of Rage

    Pretty effective documentary. A lot of long-interviews with altright types, a long-time anti-fascist activist, and tons of footage of Charlottesville. I recommend it.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  7. #1447
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    Fyre Festival documentary Too much fun. Demonstration of the old adage: a fool and his money soon part ways.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  8. #1448

    Default

    Abducted in Plain Sight- disgusting, hard to watch, repulsive. The parents of the victim be in prison along with the perp. That was really hard to watch.
    *Banned*

  9. #1449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Abducted in Plain Sight- disgusting, hard to watch, repulsive. The parents of the victim be in prison along with the perp. That was really hard to watch.
    That mom........

  10. #1450
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I just finished Norsemen on Netflix. Super stupid, but some very funny parts. Good show for absurd silliness.

    Just finished it last week and I'd say your description is perfect. If you watched Lillehammer, you'll recognize several of the lead actors.

  11. #1451
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Just finished it last week and I'd say your description is perfect. If you watched Lillehammer, you'll recognize several of the lead actors.
    Norsemen is next on my list once I finish Toast of London.



    This show is so stupid and crude, but I love it.

  12. #1452
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,217

    Default

    Gidget and I were sick all weekend so we binged The Bodyguard. It was okay. I saw an article that it had been renewed for a second season but that's now in doubt as the lead actor is there frontrunner to be the new Bond. I'm not sure he has the personality for it based on his character in The Bodyguard. Though maybe they want more dark and brooding antihero type after Craig.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  13. #1453
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Gidget and I were sick all weekend so we binged The Bodyguard. It was okay. I saw an article that it had been renewed for a second season but that's now in doubt as the lead actor is there frontrunner to be the new Bond. I'm not sure he has the personality for it based on his character in The Bodyguard. Though maybe they want more dark and brooding antihero type after Craig.
    Lead actor is Robb Stark, right?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  14. #1454
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Lead actor is Robb Stark, right?
    Yes. So I guess if he could rally the North he might be a good Bond.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  15. #1455
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Abducted in Plain Sight- disgusting, hard to watch, repulsive. The parents of the victim be in prison along with the perp. That was really hard to watch.
    That was nutty. Especially since I'm from Idaho Falls, that 70s Mormon drawl from Pocatello hit home. WTF. All that alien abduction brain washing was next level crazy.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  16. #1456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    That was nutty. Especially since I'm from Idaho Falls, that 70s Mormon drawl from Pocatello hit home. WTF. All that alien abduction brain washing was next level crazy.
    A buddy of mine I've known for years has the nickname "B." Ruined that for me.

  17. #1457
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,473

    Default

    Russian Doll is kind of a trip, like if Groundhog Day dropped acid. The lead (who I think is also the show's creator) was a bit annoying at times, but overall it was an interesting metaphysical, time loop, multi-dimensional series with a splash of crazy. Reminded me a bit of reading Murakami.

  18. #1458
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    ...reading Murakami.

  19. #1459
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    10,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Abducted in Plain Sight- disgusting, hard to watch, repulsive. The parents of the victim be in prison along with the perp. That was really hard to watch.

    I had to stop watching it. Here's what I think happened, because there's no way her parents are really that stupid....selfish pricks? Yes, but not idiots.


    Spoiler for Spoiler:
    Victim's dad is pretty obviously gay. I hate to resort to stereotypes, but thre's no other way to classify effeminate florists from Idaho who give their male friends hand jobs.

    So, "B" has a sexual experience with dad, and capitalizes on undersexed mom, who is married to a gay guy in a mutually loving relationship, but she longs to be wanted.

    "B" knows or becomes aware that dad is sexually active with dudes (maybe even gets photos or other evidence), and blackmails mom and dad to write the affidavits, let Jan go to Jackson Hole, etc., because if they don't, the whole world will know that dad is gay. In the mid-70s, that probably would have killed his business and reputation, as well as his church membership, etc.

    So, those dipshit parents decide its better to offer up their daughter (who has a horrific case of Stockholm syndrome) to "B" to protect the rest of the family/livelihood.

    This may have been addressed in the last 30 minutes, but I had to turn it off.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  20. #1460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I had to stop watching it. Here's what I think happened, because there's no way her parents are really that stupid....selfish pricks? Yes, but not idiots.


    Spoiler for Spoiler:
    Victim's dad is pretty obviously gay. I hate to resort to stereotypes, but thre's no other way to classify effeminate florists from Idaho who give their male friends hand jobs.

    So, "B" has a sexual experience with dad, and capitalizes on undersexed mom, who is married to a gay guy in a mutually loving relationship, but she longs to be wanted.

    "B" knows or becomes aware that dad is sexually active with dudes (maybe even gets photos or other evidence), and blackmails mom and dad to write the affidavits, let Jan go to Jackson Hole, etc., because if they don't, the whole world will know that dad is gay. In the mid-70s, that probably would have killed his business and reputation, as well as his church membership, etc.

    So, those dipshit parents decide its better to offer up their daughter (who has a horrific case of Stockholm syndrome) to "B" to protect the rest of the family/livelihood.

    This may have been addressed in the last 30 minutes, but I had to turn it off.
    his floral arrangement business could have been absolutely ruined if people found out he was gay
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  21. #1461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I had to stop watching it. Here's what I think happened, because there's no way her parents are really that stupid....selfish pricks? Yes, but not idiots.


    Spoiler for Spoiler:
    Victim's dad is pretty obviously gay. I hate to resort to stereotypes, but thre's no other way to classify effeminate florists from Idaho who give their male friends hand jobs.

    So, "B" has a sexual experience with dad, and capitalizes on undersexed mom, who is married to a gay guy in a mutually loving relationship, but she longs to be wanted.

    "B" knows or becomes aware that dad is sexually active with dudes (maybe even gets photos or other evidence), and blackmails mom and dad to write the affidavits, let Jan go to Jackson Hole, etc., because if they don't, the whole world will know that dad is gay. In the mid-70s, that probably would have killed his business and reputation, as well as his church membership, etc.

    So, those dipshit parents decide its better to offer up their daughter (who has a horrific case of Stockholm syndrome) to "B" to protect the rest of the family/livelihood.

    This may have been addressed in the last 30 minutes, but I had to turn it off.
    I watched and was disgusted/horrified like everyone else. I'm not sure who I wanted to punch in the face more the mom or the dad. I think the mom is slightly more guilty but the dad was slightly more annoying the way he made himself cry talking about the things he regretted.

    I think what you say is sort of right, but the crux of it was already directly acknowledged. He was manipulating the parents into giving him access and backing off legal action. I had a random thought that the alien stuff might have been exaggerated or misremembered somehow. I wonder if that was her coping mechanism slash excuse after the fact because she felt guilty and complicit in what she was doing (as a minor she's not complicit but the guilt is still there).
    Last edited by jay santos; 02-07-2019 at 05:31 PM.

  22. #1462
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    Yeaaahhhh.... it's too easy to say what YOU would have done in the situation, which is throw 'B' into the nearest wood chipper one minute into the story, but you don't know what it was like being in their shoes. They are obviously crazy crazy crazy naive and their defenses had been worn down on multiple fronts by a master manipulator. Again, I grew up in Eastern Idaho in the LDS community and I'm sure most what they describe as the norm-- nobody locking their doors, etc.-- was as true for many of us here as it was for them; they had no reason to doubt this guy's intentions for the longest time, and he seemed to have the Church's seal of approval since his 'therapist' or whomever recommended he spend time w their daughter was recommended by their mutual bishop (do I have that right?)

    I was mostly shocked by how candid they were on camera. I guess it's essential to the context of why they acted so negligently toward their daughter's safety, but still.. I can't imagine that I know one dude in any of my past wards who would describe giving some other dude a handy on a whim just because he was asked about it. At least he seemed embarrassed about it.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  23. #1463
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,473

    Default

    Reviews coming in for Russian Doll are good:

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/a...ix-review.html
    If you prefer to be totally surprised by your TV shows, put down this review and watch “Russian Doll” when it comes out on Netflix on Friday. It’s eight short, acerbic, wittily profound episodes with a richly satisfying ending(s).
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...131-story.html
    “Russian Doll,” which begins streaming in its eight-episode entirety Friday on Netflix, is a beautiful puzzle piece, a circular, multiplane, existential mystery-comedy set in the villages of Lower Manhattan. Peopled with memorable characters large and small, it's a show that having watched once — not hard to do straight through and hard not to do straight through — you may want to watch again, to admire its machinery and joinery and find the clues you might have missed, but also because it feels just as good the second time around.
    I'm going to be watching it for a second time this weekend. My wife didn't join me the first time around, and since she learned the show had an all female writer's room she wants to binge it.

  24. #1464
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,363

    Default

    If you like cooking shows (and can speak Spanish, or at least tolerate subtitles), “Nailed it: Mexico.”

    My sides still hurt.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  25. #1465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    I watched and was disgusted/horrified like everyone else. I'm not sure who I wanted to punch in the face more the mom or the dad. I think the mom is slightly more guilty but the dad was slightly more annoying the way he made himself cry talking about the things he regretted.

    I think what you say is sort of right, but the crux of it was already directly acknowledged. He was manipulating the parents into giving him access and backing off legal action. I had a random thought that the alien stuff might have been exaggerated or misremembered somehow. I wonder if that was her coping mechanism slash excuse after the fact because she felt guilty and complicit in what she was doing (as a minor she's not complicit but the guilt is still there).
    The dad was super gay. You don't give a pal a handy because he complains isn't getting laid enough.

    I'm really surprised (and obviously we don't know everything based on this film) that Jan didn't express more anger or hurt related to her parents. For many victims of abuse, the parents allowing her to be revictimized and failing to protect her can be as traumatic as the actual abuse. Her entire world was pertetually without safety. I think this also played a role in some her compliance and closeness with B.

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Yeaaahhhh.... it's too easy to say what YOU would have done in the situation, which is throw 'B' into the nearest wood chipper one minute into the story, but you don't know what it was like being in their shoes. They are obviously crazy crazy crazy naive and their defenses had been worn down on multiple fronts by a master manipulator. Again, I grew up in Eastern Idaho in the LDS community and I'm sure most what they describe as the norm-- nobody locking their doors, etc.-- was as true for many of us here as it was for them; they had no reason to doubt this guy's intentions for the longest time, and he seemed to have the Church's seal of approval since his 'therapist' or whomever recommended he spend time w their daughter was recommended by their mutual bishop (do I have that right?)

    I was mostly shocked by how candid they were on camera. I guess it's essential to the context of why they acted so negligently toward their daughter's safety, but still.. I can't imagine that I know one dude in any of my past wards who would describe giving some other dude a handy on a whim just because he was asked about it. At least he seemed embarrassed about it.
    I'd like to know more the unlicensed psychologist who treated B. That is some crazy shit. At first I thought it might be have been weird form of exposure therapy, but it's like nothing I've never learned about. I have to think B was bullshiting about what the therapist allegedly asked him to do.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  26. #1466
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    If you like cooking shows (and can speak Spanish, or at least tolerate subtitles), “Nailed it: Mexico.”

    My sides still hurt.
    Or, apparently, the English version.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  27. #1467
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Or, apparently, the English version.
    My daughters love every cooking show. We've watched Sugar Rush, Great British Baking Show, even that super weird goth one with the puppet monsters and crap. The one show we can't get into is Nailed It. Someone told us we had to watch the holiday special. The show just annoys me. Even my daughters get annoyed that these people can't follow recipes, don't know their way around a kitchen, and seem to lack any kind of common sense.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  28. #1468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    The dad was super gay. You don't give a pal a handy because he complains isn't getting laid enough.

    I'm really surprised (and obviously we don't know everything based on this film) that Jan didn't express more anger or hurt related to her parents. For many victims of abuse, the parents allowing her to be revictimized and failing to protect her can be as traumatic as the actual abuse. Her entire world was pertetually without safety. I think this also played a role in some her compliance and closeness with B.



    I'd like to know more the unlicensed psychologist who treated B. That is some crazy shit. At first I thought it might be have been weird form of exposure therapy, but it's like nothing I've never learned about. I have to think B was bullshiting about what the therapist allegedly asked him to do.
    I assumed it was a given that a therapist never told B he should sleep in her bed as part of the healing process.

    Also the dad was definitely gay.

    The mom still gushes about B like she is in love with him. When he described him touching her "breasts" you can tell it still got her all hot and bothered.

    Jan has to be so messed up these days.

    I am curious about B's wife and kids. His wife obviously knew about this the entire time, she even convinced the parents not to call the police for what 5 days the first time Jan went missing?
    *Banned*

  29. #1469
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I assumed it was a given that a therapist never told B he should sleep in her bed as part of the healing process.

    Also the dad was definitely gay.

    The mom still gushes about B like she is in love with him. When he described him touching her "breasts" you can tell it still got her all hot and bothered.

    Jan has to be so messed up these days.

    I am curious about B's wife and kids. His wife obviously knew about this the entire time, she even convinced the parents not to call the police for what 5 days the first time Jan went missing?
    We watched this over the weekend. My jaw is still sore from hitting the floor so many times. Crazy that a pedophile like that happened to move next door to quite possibly the dumbest family in America.

    I felt sorry for them for doing that documentary. How embarrassing.

    We had the same question about B's wife. But at least she has the good sense to stay private.
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 02-11-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  30. #1470
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    10,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Yeaaahhhh.... it's too easy to say what YOU would have done in the situation, which is throw 'B' into the nearest wood chipper one minute into the story, but you don't know what it was like being in their shoes. They are obviously crazy crazy crazy naive and their defenses had been worn down on multiple fronts by a master manipulator. Again, I grew up in Eastern Idaho in the LDS community and I'm sure most what they describe as the norm-- nobody locking their doors, etc.-- was as true for many of us here as it was for them; they had no reason to doubt this guy's intentions for the longest time, and he seemed to have the Church's seal of approval since his 'therapist' or whomever recommended he spend time w their daughter was recommended by their mutual bishop (do I have that right?)

    I was mostly shocked by how candid they were on camera. I guess it's essential to the context of why they acted so negligently toward their daughter's safety, but still.. I can't imagine that I know one dude in any of my past wards who would describe giving some other dude a handy on a whim just because he was asked about it. At least he seemed embarrassed about it.
    I can get on board with what you're saying up to the point that the parents have to go to Mexico to retrieve their daughter. After that, their naivete is no more. They're just horrible parents.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •