The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
    Just finished Fear City, a serial documentary about how the FBI and Rudy Giuliani's US Attorney's office took down the heads of the New York mafia families in the 80s. It was very well done. Lots of talking head time from Rudy and also from Michael Chertoff (former Sec'y of Homeland Security), who was the lead trial attorney for the government. Highly recommend it!

Seems like a lot of recent serial documentaries are too long and drawn out to fill out 6-8 episodes. I think that's definitely true of HBO's current docu-series I'll Be Gone In the Dark about the East Side Rapist/Golden State Killer serial killer that, which is good but seems very repetitive. Fear City is only 3 episodes long and keeps your attention the whole time. I appreciated that.
    I’ll Be Gone In the Dark has been a huge disappointment. So much wasted potential.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The final season of Last Chance U hit Netflix this morning. It is a community college in Oakland this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
        The final season of Last Chance U hit Netflix this morning. It is a community college in Oakland this year.
        Saving this when CF is canceled.. My hope, I get to enjoy both..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Fear City: New York vs. The Mafia.

Pretty interesting series. On the last episode..

Nice cameo of Trump. Sorry guys. No collaboration to be seen as of yet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by dabrockster; 07-28-2020, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• We're enjoying Love on the Spectrum, an Australian reality series about young adults at various places on the autism spectrum, and their attempts to make a romantic connection. Just two episodes in I've gained much deeper respect, even affection, for, those on the spectrum. One of the guys talks about how driving a bus is the best job he’s ever had and how happy it makes him, and points out his dream house that overlooks the train tracks AND the bus route. Another says that finding a woman he can love, support, and make happy is the most important thing in life. And you can tell he would do just that if a woman worthy of him comes along. I'm wary that the show may be exploitative, but thus far it's funny and at times deeply moving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I’ll Be Gone In the Dark has been a huge disappointment. So much wasted potential.
              I agree. It started out good, and the last episode looks like it might be interesting, but everything in the middle is repetitive and boring.

Spoiler for Spoiler:
              I also don't like the way they handled the latest episode about Michelle McNamara's death. It turned into just an hour-long tribute to her. That's fine, but it didn't belong in this series. There's also a lot of questions about her death that they don't touch on at all, like was she an addict? Where did she get the fentanyl? Was it prescribed? I also read somewhere (probably unreliable) that they found Cocaine and MDMA by the bed where she was found. This show was never going to explore those questions, but the fact that they didn't ... and glossed over that she overdosed ... raised a bunch of questions that I think hurt the credibility of everything else that they covered.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                I agree. It started out good, and the last episode looks like it might be interesting, but everything in the middle is repetitive and boring.

Spoiler for Spoiler:
                I also don't like the way they handled the latest episode about Michelle McNamara's death. It turned into just an hour-long tribute to her. That's fine, but it didn't belong in this series. There's also a lot of questions about her death that they don't touch on at all, like was she an addict? Where did she get the fentanyl? Was it prescribed? I also read somewhere (probably unreliable) that they found Cocaine and MDMA by the bed where she was found. This show was never going to explore those questions, but the fact that they didn't ... and glossed over that she overdosed ... raised a bunch of questions that I think hurt the credibility of everything else that they covered.
                As to your spoiler, they touch on those issues in more detail in Ep. 5.

My wife and I listened to "Evil Has a Name" on Audible. One of our all-time favorite audible selections. Primary author and narrator is Paul Holes - one of the main detectives on the case. This story and the eventual solution are incredibly compelling. The fact that they managed to make a boring docu-series about it is quite a feat. I get the human interest angle - some really touching scenes regarding Michelle's death, etc. but in the end she did not solve the case - in spite of her obsession.

I guess the bright side is that someone can still make the definitive movie or series about the case.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

As to your spoiler, they touch on those issues in more detail in Ep. 5.

My wife and I listened to "Evil Has a Name" on Audible. One of our all-time favorite audible selections. Primary author and narrator is Paul Holes - one of the main detectives on the case. This story and the eventual solution are incredibly compelling. The fact that they managed to make a boring docu-series about it is quite a feat. I get the human interest angle - some really touching scenes regarding Michelle's death, etc. but in the end she did not solve the case - in spite of her obsession.

I guess the bright side is that someone can still make the definitive movie or series about the case.
                  Spoiler for Funny:
                  Yeah. I thought it was kind of funny how they suggested in one of the earlier episodes that Michelle had come up with the DNA idea. It really seems like she didn't have much to do with how they ultimately solved the case.

Comment

• Season 2 of The Umbrella Academy comes out tomorrow.

Comment

• Umbrella Academy is great. Especially S2.

Comment

Umbrella Academy is great. Especially S2.
                        I'm glad I'm giving it a shot then. I'm about 4 episodes in and was wondering if it is worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                          I'm glad I'm giving it a shot then. I'm about 4 episodes in and was wondering if it is worth it.
                          We really like it. Superhero story, but non-traditional and lots of great characters. I love the retro motif for the commission. Music is great too.

Comment

We really like it. Superhero story, but non-traditional and lots of great characters. I love the retro motif for the commission. Music is great too.
                            Yes it does have it's own style and I've loved the music. It has just been a little slow for me to start out, but sometimes you need that to build the story. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Comment

Yeah I doubt you're into My Chemical Romance, but Gerard Way is the creator of The Umbrella Academy. He's a fantastic visual artist- much like Marilyn Manson, and his music isn't bad, either, kind of unlike Marilyn Manson. Those MCR music videos were pretty awesome.

I'm halfway into season 1-- I'm a born skeptic, so it's taken me a while. So far pretty fun. Reminds me a bit of the Watchmen movie, but a lot more comedy relief.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                                Yeah I doubt you're into My Chemical Romance, but Gerard Way is the creator of The Umbrella Academy.
                                Wow, I did not know that. Very cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X