Downton Abbey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

Sir Richard Carlisle did indeed kill Mrs. Bates, or at least, had her killed.

Write it down.
    My wife picked up on that right away. I am sure that is how it will play out. Question is: how do they figure it out?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      My wife picked up on that right away. I am sure that is how it will play out. Question is: how do they figure it out?
      I like that denouement. However, what if it was a suicide? The ex-Mrs. Bates had devoted her life to ruining Mr. Bates'. When he visited her for the last time, there was a terrible fight in which she threatened him with terrible things unless he left Anna (yeah, like anyone would leave Anna). When he resisted, things got physical but he fought her off and left, and he was disconsolate about how terrible the visit had gone.

In her deranged state, the ex decided to follow through on a longstanding plan to wreak the ultimate revenge. She would ruin Bates' life, possibly sending him to the gallows, by committing suicide in a way as to make it appear he had murdered her. She put this plan in motion long before Bates' visit so that she'd have an ace in the hole if he spurned her one last time.

The biggest problem will be proving it. But if they can make Bandaged Patrick appear and disappear, I'm confident the writers can come up with something.

Comment

Clueless and I just finished season 2. Great finale.

I think we like this so much because it appeals to the natural aristocracy bias americans feel but in this case, our aristocrat is an empathetic man. An american concept: the benevolent aristocrat.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
          Clueless and I just finished season 2. Great finale.

I think we like this so much because it appeals to the natural aristocracy bias americans feel but in this case, our aristocrat is an empathetic man. An american concept: the benevolent aristocrat.
          Mitt Romney
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            Mitt Romney
            I know this isn't the sportiest of sports boards, but come on, MBN, posting in the Downtown Abbey thread in the middle of a BYU tournament game?

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              I like that denouement. However, what if it was a suicide? The ex-Mrs. Bates had devoted her life to ruining Mr. Bates'. When he visited her for the last time, there was a terrible fight in which she threatened him with terrible things unless he left Anna (yeah, like anyone would leave Anna). When he resisted, things got physical but he fought her off and left, and he was disconsolate about how terrible the visit had gone.

In her deranged state, the ex decided to follow through on a longstanding plan to wreak the ultimate revenge. She would ruin Bates' life, possibly sending him to the gallows, by committing suicide in a way as to make it appear he had murdered her. She put this plan in motion long before Bates' visit so that she'd have an ace in the hole if he spurned her one last time.

The biggest problem will be proving it. But if they can make Bandaged Patrick appear and disappear, I'm confident the writers can come up with something.
              This is basically my guess too. But how can they prove it?

Also, I want to know how Sherlock managed to survive that big fall, and if Sherlock could survive, then why not Moriarty?

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                I know this isn't the sportiest of sports boards, but come on, MBN, posting in the Downtown Abbey thread in the middle of a BYU tournament game?
                The game is driving me nuts. We can't extend a lead.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Just started season 1. Liking it very much. There is something about this era of British aristocracy that is really fascinating to me. Maybe it is because my dad was a huge PG Wodehouse fan and always had the Jeeves and Wooster series with Hugh Laurie going on one of the tvs in the house. The writing and dialogue in this series are just as sharp, but with a more human and somber tone obviously.

I know I'm late to the party but there are some bad spoilers in this thread. I should have realized I'm reading at my own peril beyond page two.

Comment

[YOUTUBE]i9TF-GKGvgE[/YOUTUBE]
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                      Okay that's hilarious.

Comment

Funny! "They have 3 daughters- Hot, Super Hot....and the other one"

Comment

Funny video
                          That was awesome.

Comment

• We finished season 2 tonight. Loved it!

I agree, the scene with Mary and Robert was beautiful. I am ok with the way they left Bates assuming there is a Season 3,and I also think Carlisle had a hand in it. Had they just hung him I think that would have destroyed the series for me. I LOVE the Anna character and want desperately for her to have a happy ending to her story.

Also I think the sound editing for Season 2 was absolutely atrocious. Nearly every scene had the music cut abruptly when changing to the next scene. This became very distracting, because otherwise the music is beautiful.

That is a small gripe. Now I need to go watch Gosford Park again.

Comment

• Also the scene with Daisy and William's father was especially touching. He had no family left and she never had parents who loved her, so he in effect adopted her as his own. He now has somebody to pray for, and she learns what it means to be loved. Mouse girl came out of her shell in the end.

Comment

• http://screen.yahoo.com/downton-arby-s-28723019.html

Comment

Working...
                                X