Inked: The Tattoo Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inked: The Tattoo Thread

So I've been chronicling my weight loss periodically (current status: 34 pounds down, 25 to go). It's been a really big deal for me, seeing as I've tried so many times to drop a few pounds before, only to fail. I've been overweight for going on a decade now, and I don't want to have to repeat this weight loss in the future.

So there is a part of me that wants to memorialize the actual amount of weight I lose with a tattoo. It would of course be discrete, like a small number on my shoulder blade. Or maybe giant three-inch-high Japanese numerals (older style characters) surrounded by a dragon eating a naked woman on my face. Either way.

There is also a part of me that thinks I am a complete idiot for thinking this.

Full disclosure: when my daughter died, I also considered that event important enough to warrant defacing my body permanently, and the two parts of me strove. Unfortunately, the Tattoo Nikuman couldn't think of a damn thing to actually do, so the Puritan Nikuman won that round.

Rather than ask yea/nay of all of you, I'm interested to know: who's inked up, what do you have, where, why, when, and how do you feel about it now?
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    Or maybe giant three-inch-high Japanese numerals (older style characters) surrounded by a dragon eating a naked woman on my face.
    ooh! Is this a poll? Can I vote for this one?

Comment

I seem to recall reading an ink thread before, but that might have been on CG. I was surprised at a few of the folks here that are inked.

I have no ink.

I do have a question, though. If your weight loss has been up and down, why would you memorialize this particular weight loss with a tattoo?
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        I seem to recall reading an ink thread before, but that might have been on CG. I was surprised at a few of the folks here that are inked.

I have no ink.

I do have a question, though. If your weight loss has been up and down, why would you memorialize this particular weight loss with a tattoo?
        Because it has been up and down to the tune of five pounds. In other words, I've never lost more than five pounds or so at a time. I started at 185, went to 200, back to 195, up to 210, back to 205, up to 230, etc. That's over a span of years.

Part of the present weight loss is that it is real and spectactular - and it involves actual lifestyle changes to maintain. When all is said and done, I will have lost something in the range of 65 pounds.

Comment

I have no tattoos. I do have a really cool scar on my leg from when I pulled an iron on me as a baby.

You didn't ask for a yea or nay, but I'm going to put my two cents in and say nay. I have nothing against the inked look per se, but I just wonder why put yourself through all that pain? I don't think I have ever seen a tattoo that made me think, "wow, that is something that I would want to keep on my body forever."

Comment

I have a scar from a bullet entry. How many of you can say that?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Probably very few, as most us realize bullets are only shaped like an enema.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

my wife has a tatoo, bikini line left hip. She got it when she was 18 after her dad left the family. She doesn't regret it. I like it.

I contemplated getting inked in my early years but never could think of something I wanted for life.

Comment

I have a gun barrel scar in the middle of my forehead from when a gun was slammed into it. So, kinda?
                  Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 03-25-2009, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                    I have no tattoos. I do have a really cool scar on my leg from when I pulled an iron on me as a baby.

You didn't ask for a yea or nay, but I'm going to put my two cents in and say nay. I have nothing against the inked look per se, but I just wonder why put yourself through all that pain? I don't think I have ever seen a tattoo that made me think, "wow, that is something that I would want to keep on my body forever."
                    I'll echo SM's opinion. I don't think much of ink. My grandfather had a tattoo from his youth, and he told us that it was one of his biggest regrets. He wasn't particularly religious, so it wasn't a church thing; he just wished he was ink-free.

As an aside, the popularity of tattoos on women is responsible for one of the funniest movie lines ever.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

deets?
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

I have no ink.

I figured it was an accountability thing. You're going to feel pretty silly if you tattoo 115 on your hip and you're sporting 140.

Comment

I don't like ink, probably because of my Mormonness. On women, while I don't think any less of someone with a tat, it is not attractive to me at all. I know a lot of guys with tattoos, some of whom really surprised me. Some really regretted it, some were happy with it. I wouldn't do it myself, but that's just me.

Comment

I've only seen a couple of tatoos that were actually worthwhile and not trashy, so I would play the odds and not get one. However, if you do, I wouldn't go cheap... I don't know if that is advice or not.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              I figured it was an accountability thing. You're going to feel pretty silly if you tattoo 115 on your hip and you're sporting 140.
                              That's why you put pounds lost, not actual weight. Plausible deniability.

Comment

Working...
                              X