Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inked: The Tattoo Thread

Default Inked: The Tattoo Thread

So I've been chronicling my weight loss periodically (current status: 34 pounds down, 25 to go). It's been a really big deal for me, seeing as I've tried so many times to drop a few pounds before, only to fail. I've been overweight for going on a decade now, and I don't want to have to repeat this weight loss in the future.

So there is a part of me that wants to memorialize the actual amount of weight I lose with a tattoo. It would of course be discrete, like a small number on my shoulder blade. Or maybe giant three-inch-high Japanese numerals (older style characters) surrounded by a dragon eating a naked woman on my face. Either way.

There is also a part of me that thinks I am a complete idiot for thinking this.

Full disclosure: when my daughter died, I also considered that event important enough to warrant defacing my body permanently, and the two parts of me strove. Unfortunately, the Tattoo Nikuman couldn't think of a damn thing to actually do, so the Puritan Nikuman won that round.

Rather than ask yea/nay of all of you, I'm interested to know: who's inked up, what do you have, where, why, when, and how do you feel about it now?

Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    Or maybe giant three-inch-high Japanese numerals (older style characters) surrounded by a dragon eating a naked woman on my face.
    ooh! Is this a poll? Can I vote for this one?

I seem to recall reading an ink thread before, but that might have been on CG. I was surprised at a few of the folks here that are inked.

I have no ink.

I do have a question, though. If your weight loss has been up and down, why would you memorialize this particular weight loss with a tattoo?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I seem to recall reading an ink thread before, but that might have been on CG. I was surprised at a few of the folks here that are inked.

I have no ink.

I do have a question, though. If your weight loss has been up and down, why would you memorialize this particular weight loss with a tattoo?
    Because it has been up and down to the tune of five pounds. In other words, I've never lost more than five pounds or so at a time. I started at 185, went to 200, back to 195, up to 210, back to 205, up to 230, etc. That's over a span of years.

Part of the present weight loss is that it is real and spectactular - and it involves actual lifestyle changes to maintain. When all is said and done, I will have lost something in the range of 65 pounds.

I have no tattoos. I do have a really cool scar on my leg from when I pulled an iron on me as a baby.

You didn't ask for a yea or nay, but I'm going to put my two cents in and say nay. I have nothing against the inked look per se, but I just wonder why put yourself through all that pain? I don't think I have ever seen a tattoo that made me think, "wow, that is something that I would want to keep on my body forever."

I have a scar from a bullet entry. How many of you can say that?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Probably very few, as most us realize bullets are only shaped like an enema.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

my wife has a tatoo, bikini line left hip. She got it when she was 18 after her dad left the family. She doesn't regret it. I like it.

I contemplated getting inked in my early years but never could think of something I wanted for life.

I have a gun barrel scar in the middle of my forehead from when a gun was slammed into it. So, kinda?
    Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 03-25-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
    I have no tattoos. I do have a really cool scar on my leg from when I pulled an iron on me as a baby.

You didn't ask for a yea or nay, but I'm going to put my two cents in and say nay. I have nothing against the inked look per se, but I just wonder why put yourself through all that pain? I don't think I have ever seen a tattoo that made me think, "wow, that is something that I would want to keep on my body forever."
    I'll echo SM's opinion. I don't think much of ink. My grandfather had a tattoo from his youth, and he told us that it was one of his biggest regrets. He wasn't particularly religious, so it wasn't a church thing; he just wished he was ink-free.

As an aside, the popularity of tattoos on women is responsible for one of the funniest movie lines ever.

deets?

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

I have no ink.

I figured it was an accountability thing. You're going to feel pretty silly if you tattoo 115 on your hip and you're sporting 140.

I don't like ink, probably because of my Mormonness. On women, while I don't think any less of someone with a tat, it is not attractive to me at all. I know a lot of guys with tattoos, some of whom really surprised me. Some really regretted it, some were happy with it. I wouldn't do it myself, but that's just me.

I've only seen a couple of tatoos that were actually worthwhile and not trashy, so I would play the odds and not get one. However, if you do, I wouldn't go cheap... I don't know if that is advice or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    I figured it was an accountability thing. You're going to feel pretty silly if you tattoo 115 on your hip and you're sporting 140.
    That's why you put pounds lost, not actual weight. Plausible deniability.

My Teachers Quorum adviser had a Marijuana Leaf that spanned his upper back. He never told you about it, we just got to see it during swimming activities. Don't do that one.

I am not inked as I could never figure out something cool to get. However I do have a pact with a few buddies that if any of them dies the other 2 will get a tattoo in remembrance of them.
    *Banned*

so you're pretty much doomed to get a tattoo at some point unless you die first.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I've only seen a couple of tatoos that were actually worthwhile and not trashy, so I would play the odds and not get one. However, if you do, I wouldn't go cheap... I don't know if that is advice or not.
    Along with not going cheap, be sure that the tattooer uses new needles and fresh ink. My BIL is a transplant surgeon who specializes in livers. He told me once that they traced a lot of hep C back to tattoos that were done with new needles, but the shared ink well transmitted the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I am not inked as I could never figure out something cool to get. However I do have a pact with a few buddies that if any of them dies the other 2 will get a tattoo in remembrance of them.
    time for the teardrop! orale!

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Another non-tattoo option for weight loss accountability is to step on a scale every morning, keep a log of your weight, etc. Just a thought.

nik's explanation seems to make sense...memorialize an accomplishment that has personal meaning.

Lately, I have been toying with getting a CUF tattoo. Maybe the split U-Y logo or something along those lines.

Many people think that my avatar is me. We all know its not really me. It is actually a Richard Simmons tattoo on my back. It basically fills my entire back and I have received many compliments from the ladies as I sit out on the beach shirtless.

Any of the latin aficionados want to chime in as to what the following phrase means:

"Constringo is ere inxi icum per aeternitas"

I'd like to know if it means what someone thinks it means, since he now has it tattooed across his back.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    Many people think that my avatar is me. We all know its not really me. It is actually a Richard Simmons tattoo on my back. It basically fills my entire back and I have received many compliments from the ladies as I sit out on the beach shirtless.
    Your avatar is a picture of David Hasselhoff, not Richard Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Any of the latin aficionados want to chime in as to what the following phrase means:

"Constringo is ere inxi icum per aeternitas"

I'd like to know if it means what someone thinks it means, since he now has it tattooed across his back.
    The Latin translator machine does not help much:

To bind this ere inxi icum very aeternitas
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    The Latin translator machine does not help much:
    lol. yeah, I tried that, too. I remember my little bro sending me a letter on my mission that he had pasted into the english-to spanish translator on our computer. It made absolutely no sense.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

This is the first time I've seen this thread. A tattoo to commemorate weight loss? wtf?!

The daughter one I totally get. Go for it!
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

I dig the idea of it, but like many here I haven't ever seen anything I would want. Combine that with 90+% of all tattoos being silly and/or hideous, and it seems like a big jump. I have a half-baked idea of getting something when I get the PhD, but I wouldn't know what to get. There are a few cool ideas in Carl Zimmer's Science Tattoo Emporium but even most of those are either not relevant to me or ugly. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    This is the first time I've seen this thread. A tattoo to commemorate weight loss? wtf?!

The daughter one I totally get. Go for it!
    Yeah, this idea seems totally stupid two years later.

Last night my wife and I were talking about this. I have no real moral objections to getting a tattoo per se, but I can't think of anything I won't hate in two years.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

I like the idea of a small bike tattoo on my left calf but I won't do it. Maybe I'll so something original like some barb wire around my bicep.