Ramen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We do things a little differently now. We buy our raw ramen in bulk from Chao's in downtown Provo. It is dirt cheap. Then we buy miso paste and ajinomoto and ajinomoto and use a miso base for our fresh ramen (with chopped green onions). Delish.
    I should know this but is ajinomoto the Japanese equivalent to Korean dashida? Koreans use dashida as the base for a lot of soup/stew.

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Dashida

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      I should know this but is ajinomoto the Japanese equivalent to Korean dashida? Koreans use dashida as the base for a lot of soup/stew.

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Dashida
      Whoa. Excuse me. I meant dashinomoto, not ajinomoto.

Seafood-based soup stock:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shimaya-Dashinomoto-soup-stock-1-75/dp/B0002YEXVG"]Shimaya - Dashinomoto (soup stock) 1.75 Oz.: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DECWZ1C5L.@@AMEPARAM@@41DECWZ1C5L[/ame]
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Whoa. Excuse me. I meant dashinomoto, not ajinomoto.

Seafood-based soup stock:

Shimaya - Dashinomoto (soup stock) 1.75 Oz.: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
        Looks like it's the same thing.

(By the way, if you're ever in Korea and a recipe calls for "dashi-no-moto" or some Japanese bullshit name for dry soup stock, it's called "dashida" (다시다) in Korean.
        http://speakenglishortry.blogspot.com/2010/04/mmm.html

Comment

We do things a little differently now. We buy our raw ramen in bulk from Chao's in downtown Provo. It is dirt cheap. Then we buy miso paste and ajinomoto and ajinomoto and use a miso base for our fresh ramen (with chopped green onions). Delish.
          I have never tried fresh ramen, but this thread makes me want to. What does ajinomoto taste like?

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            I have never tried fresh ramen, but this thread makes me want to. What does ajinomoto taste like?
            Again, not ajinomoto, dashinomoto.

Have you ever had miso soup at a Japanese restaurant? The miso/dashinomoto combo is basically how you make miso soup. In the rest. they add tofu cubes and seaweed, but for ramen you just follow the instructions on the dashinomoto box and mix boiling water, miso paste, and dashinomoto. Very simple. Just measure out how many raw noodles you want in a bowl, then drop them in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Rinse them briefly in cold water and add them to your miso base. Add a few chopped green onions on top and you are good to go.

Like I said, the best place to buy fresh ramen locally is at Chao's in downtown Provo. It looks like this:

It is sometimes labeled "chow mein noodles", but they are basically the same. You would then need to pick up a bag of miso paste. You can get it in red or white. I would recommend white.

And then, a box of dashinomoto:

Again, the instructions for the miso base are on the back of the dashinomoto box (and probably on the miso label also).

For about $10 you will have enough material to make ramen ten times or so.

There are other ways to make soup base for you ramen. That is just the flavor we like and it is simple. If you want to try an even simpler route, go to First Oriental Market in Orem and buy the raw ramen from the cooler on the north side of the store. It comes with the soup base and flavorings all ready to go. Here is a nice article illustrating this kind of ramen (feel free to skip the pork intestines add-in):

http://chowtimes.com/2010/07/12/froz...than-kintaros/

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Locally I can only get the chow mein noodles JL. But I have made my own fresh ramen too. Except I couldn't find a dashi base but I did find kombu and bonito flakes so I made my own. It was awesome. I need to get some saimin bowls.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Better yet Frank, you and I can do lunch at Spicy Corea like we have been discussing then we can walk next door to Chao's and I can set you up.

Comment

Better yet Frank, you and I can do lunch at Spicy Corea like we have been discussing then we can walk next door to Chao's and I can set you up.

You are out for the foie gras get together.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

You are out for the foie gras get together.

You are always invited, amigo.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                      Paging Nikuman!

Maybe this will help...

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        I went back to check and while you are correct, I was also correct.
                        This is such a beautiful statement.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I hope an introduction to the world of fresh ramen is life-changing. I love noodles.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post

Maybe this will help...
                            haha. Perfect.
                            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Top Ramen for lunch today. Oriental flavor. I added in some leftover shredded pork and some chili garlic sauce for spice. Pretty decent lunch for under a quarter. I roll large like that.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                Top Ramen for lunch today. Oriental flavor. I added in some leftover shredded pork and some chili garlic sauce for spice. Pretty decent lunch for under a quarter. I roll large like that.
                                Where did you get shredded pork for less than a quarter?
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X