Chocolate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Has anyone ever tried reese's peanut butter cups? Those rule.
    Yeah. I make sure to pick up a few when I can. Also, I also lasso some Farr's cherry cordials.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
      There are some vertically challenged people that have a shop in the Avenues in Salt Lake that have some really good chocolate. Like Surfah, I am not a big milk chocolate fan in general and I don't even bother to really find out the brand or name I am eating. I just know these little people have some great chocolate.
      I went to that Oompa Loompa shop the other day... I was put upon to try the dark hot chocolate. It just reminded me of the hot chocolate I drank in Guatemala that tasted like mud. Chocolate snobs puzzle me.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        My favorite is Marabou Mjölkchoklad.
        A Swedish member in our ward just gave us some last night. I'm looking forward to it, if my kids haven't devoured it all.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

These are my favorites right now: http://www.elbowchocolates.com/chocolates/

Ridiculously good, and ridiculously expensive. I think they're from Kansas City, but they carry them at a local shop on Upper Queen Anne called Chocolopolis.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

These are my favorites right now: http://www.elbowchocolates.com/chocolates/

Ridiculously good, and ridiculously expensive. I think they're from Kansas City, but they carry them at a local shop on Upper Queen Anne called Chocolopolis.
            Have you ever had the truffles from Chocolatier Blue? They are very good and are carried at Caputos here in Utah. I'll be on the look out for the Christopher Elbow Chocolates. I also think you should give Amano a try if you ever see it around.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              My favorite is Marabou Mjölkchoklad.
              Do they sell these at IKEA? Where else can they be sampled?

Comment

Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
                In Scandinavia.
                Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  It just reminded me of the hot chocolate I drank in Guatemala that tasted like mud.
                  I've been there with you on that one. "xocolatl" is subject to interpretation.

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                  A Swedish member in our ward just gave us some last night. I'm looking forward to it, if my kids haven't devoured it all.
                  Do return and report, please.

Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
                  I've heard tell. I had a student at BYU from Finland bring one to me once, and I fell in love with it from the first bite. I took one little piece home to my wife, and she instructed me to "get my butt on the internet and find some more."

Since then, most years, I've made purchases from

http://swedensbest.com/marabourolls.html

Coker has had students from Finland since I've been here, and they've gladly accepted cash to bring some back for my wife. If you use that swedensbest company, get some of Daim bars too. They're good too, but not as good as the Marabou milk chocolate.

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  In Scandinavia.
                  Chíkimonqui.
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I think my taste in chocolate is starting to cement the fact that I'm getting old. I remember watching adults eat dark chocolate when I was a kid and thinking it was nasty. And they'd make comments about how milk chocolate was too sweet. Seemed like the craziest thing in my mind, but I'm pretty much there at this point. Right now I'm nibbling on an 85% bar made from Colombian beans and it's just really hitting the spot. The more bitter finish to dark chocolate just really does it for me these days.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I think my taste in chocolate is starting to cement the fact that I'm getting old. I remember watching adults eat dark chocolate when I was a kid and thinking it was nasty. And they'd make comments about how milk chocolate was too sweet. Seemed like the craziest thing in my mind, but I'm pretty much there at this point. Right now I'm nibbling on an 85% bar made from Colombian beans and it's just really hitting the spot. The more bitter finish to dark chocolate just really does it for me these days.
                      Watch out '71 MG is looking to take your spot as the board geezer.
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Shortly after I discover that chocolate is a massive migraine trigger for me, Ikea starts selling Marabou again.
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Somewhere around 2002 I got interested in dark chocolate. I bought a bunch of different dark bars, rated all of them, and eventually figured out that Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate is the one that all of the others should get compared against. I don't know how they can make such good dark chocolate in the quantities that they do, but it's consistently good. Around 2005 or 2006 they changed the recipe slightly and I could tell the difference, but I can't remember now how it was different. One of them had a better after taste and the other was a little better when you first put it into your mouth.

So... my Chocolate spreadsheet now has over 180 entries. A few are under 50% Cocoa if they include other stuff added to the chocolate, but I prefer straight chocolate, none of this Sea Salt or Chili added to it. I've tried as high as 99%, but you have to eat that stuff in a special way to get anything good from it. It's rare that I actually enjoy even 80-85% bars. There are six bars on my list that I rated 10 out of 10 with few rating less than 5. A Nestle baking bar got a 3, but I shouldn't have even tried it. I consider Hershey's Special Dark to be nasty stuff. Hershey's made some good stuff around 2005, but didn't stick with it. I won't eat Hershey's chocolate other than maybe Symphony in the rare case when I eat milk chocolate.

Whenever I go somewhere like Cost Plus World Market, I'm always looking for something new. My trip yesterday yielded six bars that I hadn't tried yet. A couple of those were exceptional - Nordi Smooth & Rich Original (70%) and Me-To-We Single Origin Ecuador Esmaraldas were both great.

I'll always buy a single origin chocolate if I get the chance because it will likely have a unique flavor. Trader Joe's had some great stuff, one from Ecuador and one from Venezuela when I first started trying dark chocolate, but that lasted less than two years. I haven't visited a Trader Joe's for a few years, but last time I was there they didn't have anything new and only the Valrhona bars were really worth the bother. I'll have to go see if there is anything new there one of these days.

When I'm traveling I like to look for local chocolate, but somehow I can't bring myself to pay ten bucks for a three ounce bar in Hawaii. Especially since there is a chance it will melt before I can get it home. I've bought a few in Mexico, but it's always coarse and grainy. Hard to enjoy.

Anybody else here appreciate good dark chocolate?

Comment

Have you tried the dark chocolate from USU? Its phenomenal despite its USU manufacture.

https://aggiechocolatestore.com/this...aldas-70-dark/

https://aggiechocolatestore.com/this...ntain-70-dark/
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                              Have you tried the dark chocolate from USU? Its phenomenal despite its USU manufacture.

https://aggiechocolatestore.com/this...aldas-70-dark/

https://aggiechocolatestore.com/this...ntain-70-dark/
                              It had better be good at eight bucks for an ounce and a half! I would have a hard time paying that much as a matter of principle. However, next time I go visit my son in Nibley I might go check it out.

I also thought this might be interesting... I used to save all of the wrappers and boxes, until we were getting ready to move, then I tossed them all out. Here's a picture of how many I had tried up to early 2018:

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                                Somewhere around 2002 I got interested in dark chocolate. I bought a bunch of different dark bars, rated all of them, and eventually figured out that Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate is the one that all of the others should get compared against. I don't know how they can make such good dark chocolate in the quantities that they do, but it's consistently good. Around 2005 or 2006 they changed the recipe slightly and I could tell the difference, but I can't remember now how it was different. One of them had a better after taste and the other was a little better when you first put it into your mouth.

So... my Chocolate spreadsheet now has over 180 entries. A few are under 50% Cocoa if they include other stuff added to the chocolate, but I prefer straight chocolate, none of this Sea Salt or Chili added to it. I've tried as high as 99%, but you have to eat that stuff in a special way to get anything good from it. It's rare that I actually enjoy even 80-85% bars. There are six bars on my list that I rated 10 out of 10 with few rating less than 5. A Nestle baking bar got a 3, but I shouldn't have even tried it. I consider Hershey's Special Dark to be nasty stuff. Hershey's made some good stuff around 2005, but didn't stick with it. I won't eat Hershey's chocolate other than maybe Symphony in the rare case when I eat milk chocolate.

Whenever I go somewhere like Cost Plus World Market, I'm always looking for something new. My trip yesterday yielded six bars that I hadn't tried yet. A couple of those were exceptional - Nordi Smooth & Rich Original (70%) and Me-To-We Single Origin Ecuador Esmaraldas were both great.

I'll always buy a single origin chocolate if I get the chance because it will likely have a unique flavor. Trader Joe's had some great stuff, one from Ecuador and one from Venezuela when I first started trying dark chocolate, but that lasted less than two years. I haven't visited a Trader Joe's for a few years, but last time I was there they didn't have anything new and only the Valrhona bars were really worth the bother. I'll have to go see if there is anything new there one of these days.

When I'm traveling I like to look for local chocolate, but somehow I can't bring myself to pay ten bucks for a three ounce bar in Hawaii. Especially since there is a chance it will melt before I can get it home. I've bought a few in Mexico, but it's always coarse and grainy. Hard to enjoy.

Anybody else here appreciate good dark chocolate?
                                What are the 6 bars you rated 10/10.

This is actually my favorite.
                                https://www.amazon.com/OmNom-Chocola.../dp/B016DY5TM0
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X