Chocolate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate

A discussion was started elsewhere on the subject so I thought I'd take it here instead of continuing a thread jack.

I was a missionary in Switzerland so obviously I'm biased towards swiss chocolate, but I've tried quite a few and I think they make a strong case for the best chocolate in the world. It's all a matter of personal opinion, so instead of trying to prove anything is better, I'll simply share what has brought me great pleasure in my life. Here are 3 that I love:

1. Favarger Aveline. The factory is in the town of Versoix, just miles north of Geneva, a beautiful town by Lac Leman. I walked by the factory often, catching strong whiffs of chocolate, the only thing that could get my mind off of how big an idiot my companion was. The factory wasn't as industrial as you might imagine, it was quite small but surrounded by high walls that gave it a willy wonka-like mystery. The chocolate typically comes in small, rectangular blocks, about an inch long or so, individually wrapped. You know it's good quality if you can't hold it without getting chocolate all over your fingers. I like the Aveline because it has little slivers of almonds in it, to provide a little taste and contrasting texture.

2. Camille Bloch Torino. A hazelnut infused chocolate that is also quite excellent. A member in northern Switzerland was married to a member of the Bloch family (though divorced), so she always had this chocolate and others for us when we visited (which was often). I'm not sure if it was part of the divorce settlement, but she obviously had a good lawyer. I think it's apparent that I like the milk chocolates with nutty flavors, so I don't consider myself an expert in darks.

3. Suchard Double Creme. This is the one that was almost banned from my mission. In a time of fewer and fewer european missions, this brand practically doubled the missionaries in our mission, but unfortunately the headcount did not change.

I'm thinking about ordering some online now.

The best chocolate I have ever had comes from Provo, Amano Chocolate.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

My favorite is Marabou Mjölkchoklad.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        My favorite is Marabou Mjölkchoklad.
        Heja Sverige! Love me some Marabou.

Comment

Marabou is okay. Not a big fan of it. But I am not a big milk chocolate fan in general.

I have to go with Funk and say that Amano is the best chocolate I have ever tasted. Go Provo.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

It may not be the best chocolate in the world, but I love Milka from Austria. It seems different in the States, but I think that's because Kraft bought it and changed the chocolate a bit when it started selling Milka here.
            Not that, sickos.

Comment

There are some vertically challenged people that have a shop in the Avenues in Salt Lake that have some really good chocolate. Like Surfah, I am not a big milk chocolate fan in general and I don't even bother to really find out the brand or name I am eating. I just know these little people have some great chocolate.
              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Amano's dark chocolates are really remarkable. The Madagascar bar has been a consistent contender at various international chocolatier competitions (though incidentally, not my favorite). The Montaya and Chuao bars have been my favorite Amano bars to date. The Amano milk chocolate is tasty—really creamy and delicate, but not particularly remarkable, IMO. I'm not a huge milk chocolate fan, though.

The Amedei "9" bar is made from a blend of nine different types of cocoa beans. The resulting chocolate is complex, robust dark chocolate. Amedei is an Italian chocolatier.

We purchased at Cacao in Portland another bar I've also enjoyed, the "Piura" bar from Rogue Chocolatier , a small batch chocolatier in the Midwest (the first, I believe). The texture is a little grittier than I usually like in chocolate, but the flavors and notes are lovely—very fruity and nutty. It has a more delicate flavor than other dark chocolates of comparable percentage (75%) I've had.

Edit: I don't have a particular preference for American chocolatiers, but these are some of the chocolates I've had lately. I dig European chocolate, too. Actually, I just dig good chocolate.
                Last edited by Mrs. Funk; 12-15-2010, 07:50 AM.
                "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                  There are some vertically challenged people that have a shop in the Avenues in Salt Lake that have some really good chocolate. Like Surfah, I am not a big milk chocolate fan in general and I don't even bother to really find out the brand or name I am eating. I just know these little people have some great chocolate.
                  I'm pretty sure Hatch Family Chocolates enrobes the various fillings with Guittard chocolate.
                  "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                    My MIL is obsessed with them due to their tv show on TLC (I think). When she came up for a visit, she dragged us all up to the avenues to meet the little people. The chocolate was decent.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                      My MIL is obsessed with them due to their tv show on TLC (I think). When she came up for a visit, she dragged us all up to the avenues to meet the little people. The chocolate was decent.
                      When my wife and I first got married we lived in the Avenues and we would go for a walk once a week and grab a piece of chocolate. I am sucker for carmel so I would get that most of the time.
                      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Has anyone ever tried reese's peanut butter cups? Those rule.
                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                          Has anyone ever tried reese's peanut butter cups? Those rule.
                          I picked some up once in this hole in the wall convenience store. I was tipped off to it by some locals. I expected to pay a premium, but I discovered that they were on special and had two for $1. I ate four blissful cups.
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            I picked some up once in this hole in the wall convenience store. I was tipped off to it by some locals. I expected to pay a premium, but I discovered that they were on special and had two for $1. I ate four blissful cups.
                            They can be tough to find but are well worth the search.
                            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                              They can be tough to find but are well worth the search.
                              I hear they have holiday cups.
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X