Words of Advice for LDS Military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Devildog View Post
    The instruction and rule thing is OK. I'm mostly in compliance these days.

It is the culture thing that I struggle with.
    I wasnt aiming this at you. More at the discussion in general. The culture is pretty crazy sometimes.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
      FTR, I think items 1, 2 and 3 might be useful, if an enlistee wants to be known as a mormon. I think the rest are laughable at best, insulting at worst

By the way - i like your new avatar
      I agree and thanks... it's festive.

Originally posted by creekster View Post
      I wasnt aiming this at you. More at the discussion in general. The culture is pretty crazy sometimes.
      I was the one taking this whole topic personally... probably because I messed it up so badly back in the day. Crazy wild - damn near insane time in my life (by my standards now).
      Last edited by Devildog; 12-08-2010, 01:01 PM.
      "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
      -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
      -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

You know, and I am nto sure about this, but what if a goal of religion, any religion, really, is to intruct one on how to live a life. Maybe even give some rules to follow. And maybe, if they really go around the bend, try to encourage followers to follow those rules. I know it sounds crazy and out there, but I think I might be on to something here.
        Get out of here with that crazy talk...

The general principals they outline is nothing different than they would teach towards any Aaronic Priesthood holder. I am just surprised that with the US waging two wars for almost the last decade that they would not update a letter like that. That honestly reads like it was written by BKP right after the Vietnam war.

I respect those that are willing to enter military service (voluntarily or not) for their countries. I thought the letter was more than a little demeaning toward them and their maturity. With all of the advanced media approaches and positive PR moves that the Church is embarking on I am just floored that something better has not been written.
        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

You know, and I am nto sure about this, but what if a goal of religion, any religion, really, is to intruct one on how to live a life. Maybe even give some rules to follow. And maybe, if they really go around the bend, try to encourage followers to follow those rules. I know it sounds crazy and out there, but I think I might be on to something here.
          Was there a suggestion to the contrary somewhere in the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
            That honestly reads like it was written by BKP right after the Vietnam war.
            That is probabyl about right.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
              ... I thought the letter was more than a little demeaning toward them and their maturity....
              Having met more than one 18 year-old who has just enlisted in military service, maybe it wasn't written for someone known for their level of maturity.

I agree that it reads somewhat condescending in places. In all honesty - most of the fresh enlistees that I've met (please note - I'm not speaking of those on their way to one of the academies. I'm talking about a general enlistee.) are probably on a maturity level that they could use the "fatherly" advice given here.

Not speaking here to all of the concepts in the advice - but to the tone.

Comment

That this is an official document of the church is embarrassing...

Comment

This advice is gold. Where was it when I joined?!

Comment

I just saw this. Someone said it read like BKP around Vietnam. I'd say more like right after WWII or the Korean War.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      This advice is gold. Where was it when I joined?!
                      Oh, the bad choices I might not have made...

Comment

Working...
                      X