CUF ride 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I perhaps have some commitments that might make me unable to come, but I am planning on attending this year. I know last year there was a vote and big process, can we spearhead that and get some dates and motivation going for me?

The fattest guy needs the most preparation!
    We've set Saturday, August 6, at 8 AM as the start of the 2011 Tour de CUF. This has been chiseled in stone (but is subject to change at the drop of a hat if people are so inclined).

Unanswered is the question: Where? I propose that over the next week, those expecting to participate should submit their nominations. I'm up for a new place to ride, and I won't argue for this one: but I'll nominate Tahoe Part Deux. This time, we wouldn't ride around the entire lake, but would start either at Squaw Valley, Tahoe City, King's Beach or Tahoma (where we did in '09), and ride along the lake to King's Beach, up over the Northstar grade, down into Truckee, then along Donner Lake (past the pioneer buffet table) and up over Donner Pass. The ride would follow portions of the first two stages of this year's Tour of California. The ride can be fine tuned to suit individual needs/abilities (it'd be easy to add or subtract parts for specific riders, but still have everyone start and finish together, with a mid-ride meet-and-eat at Donner Summit). Overall, it would be less challenging than last year's Bachelor ride, albeit without the able assistance of HFN's excellent pit crew.

So... mention your nominees in this thread and next week we can run a poll.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      We've set Saturday, August 6, at 8 AM as the start of the 2011 Tour de CUF. This has been chiseled in stone (but is subject to change at the drop of a hat if people are so inclined).

Unanswered is the question: Where? I propose that over the next week, those expecting to participate should submit their nominations. I'm up for a new place to ride, and I won't argue for this one: but I'll nominate Tahoe Part Deux. This time, we wouldn't ride around the entire lake, but would start either at Squaw Valley, Tahoe City, King's Beach or Tahoma (where we did in '09), and ride along the lake to King's Beach, up over the Northstar grade, down into Truckee, then along Donner Lake (past the pioneer buffet table) and up over Donner Pass. The ride would follow portions of the first two stages of this year's Tour of California. The ride can be fine tuned to suit individual needs/abilities (it'd be easy to add or subtract parts for specific riders, but still have everyone start and finish together, with a mid-ride meet-and-eat at Donner Summit). Overall, it would be less challenging than last year's Bachelor ride, albeit without the able assistance of HFN's excellent pit crew.

So... mention your nominees in this thread and next week we can run a poll.
      Uhhh.... What exactly will be on the menu at Donner Summit?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        No one wants to talk about it, but it tastes like chicken!
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I am in and enjoyed my time in Tahoe so much that I would love to go back. However, in an effort to get BG and SB to show up, I would be willing to change to the 30th. So, can we all state who can go on the 30th and who can go on the 6th, so I can decide who I like better?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Among other things, some Fava Beans and a nice Chianti.

And I echo Coach's comment, in that I'll support whichever date and place will ensure the greatest turnout.

Comment

One is as good as the other for me at this point.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

For me, the better date is July 30th...however, I will try and support either one. If it is Tahoe, I don't think I can hit the road on Friday afternoon, and be there prior to Saturday a.m. ride? How long does it take from Salt Lake? Maybe I can... but, July 30th is better for me.

I would like to nominate "Sun Valley Idaho". Sun Valley, up and over Galena Summit, to Redfish Lake and back. Beautiful.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/...3c9e733bfd.jpg

http://level1productions.com/wp-cont...hotsprings.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wRKsA1UBM0...SA-Posters.jpg

http://joseandblancaphotography.com/...ke-800x644.jpg
                "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Borg View Post
                  For me, the better date is July 30th...however, I will try and support either one. If it is Tahoe, I don't think I can hit the road on Friday afternoon, and be there prior to Saturday a.m. ride? How long does it take from Salt Lake? Maybe I can... but, July 30th is better for me.

I would like to nominate "Sun Valley Idaho". Sun Valley, up and over Galena Summit, to Redfish Lake and back. Beautiful.

http://level1productions.com/wp-cont...hotsprings.jpg
                  Hmmm. I, for one, am not going to go hot-tubbing with a bunch of hippies.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

At this point, I am okay with both dates, although July30th seems like it may be better for a couple of reasons.

I'm still waiting to hear back on the date of our big swim meet, but I suspect that it will be scheduled for the weekend of Aug 6th. I've skipped out on meets in the past, and my kids could less if i am there in the first place, so no big deal. Steelblue, on the other hand, is a man of importance who's kids adore him. He would be hard pressed to be gone that weekend.

I love PAC's route, although MMR is now saying that we have to be friends with him to view it. Why does friendship always have to come into play with these sites? Can't we just be casual acquaintances and still share a weekend involving a nice, romantic candlelit dinner, matching lycra shorts and jerseys, and 8 hours on a tandem bike together?

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      Hmmm. I, for one, am not going to go hot-tubbing with a bunch of hippies.
                      No no no no no......that would be back in Oregon. Sun Valley, on the other hand, would empower you to be hot "springing" with only the finest of quality of people.

Sun Valley ....just throwing it out there for consideration. Have done that ride before, and it is nice...not exactly Tahoe nice....but nice.
                      "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                        ...although MMR is now saying that we have to be friends with him to view it.
                        Is there some way to correct this injustice? Having joined Facebook literally hours ago, I'm in the process of adding friends. Will MMR recognize FB friends? Actually, I just revisited the map and saw that it had been marked for "Friends". I have now changed it to public so you should be able to view it, without the burden or embarrassment of an official PAC friendship.

Comment

I'm still waiting to hear back on the date of our big swim meet, but I suspect that it will be scheduled for the weekend of Aug 6th. I've skipped out on meets in the past, and my kids could less if i am there in the first place, so no big deal. Steelblue, on the other hand, is a man of importance who's kids adore him. He would be hard pressed to be gone that weekend.

I still don't see anything listed on our website or the Sierra Nevada site. We should know this month though. By the way I prefer the phrase "Steelblue is a man of accomplishment". I figure that's a quicker track to general authority.

Comment

Have to admit PAC...Tahoe part deaux looks like a very nice ride. When do we officially start lobbying for the official date? It's a shame that there is conflicts between the two dates...would be fun to have everyone there.

Comment

Steelblue, on the other hand, is a man of impotence who's kids adore him.
                              Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                              By the way I prefer the phrase "Steelblue is a man of accomplishment". I figure that's a quicker track to general authority.
                              There. Fixed it for you.

Comment

There. Fixed it for you.
                                I'd ask if the former isn't an oxymoron, but I really don't want to get involved in this.

I like the idea of Tahoe again just because it's more convenient for those that have attended before. If we can get new people by going someplace else, I'm all for that as well.

As for timing and location, I'm noncommittal, but sassinator has really enjoyed the two previous incarnations so I'm sure I'll be strapping a bike rack on and driving out wherever/whenever you decide. The thought of being left in the dust again is my motivation for getting on the trainer this winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X