DADT: Johhn McCain knows nothing about statistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
    Did he learn that in architectural school?
    Nope. I learned it in a college statistics class. I was a math minor, and paid for my BYU education by working as a math TA.

Anyhow, I've just looked into [ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/44414049/DADT-Survey-Findings"]DADT Survey Findings[/ame], and it is solid. The poll was offered to the ENTIRE target population, thus eliminating the need for randomization. While statman is correct, that the poll could show some bias resulting from the voluntary nature of the poll, this criticism holds true for ALL polls (except those forced on people at gunpoint... which would presumably display a different kind of bias). To accept statman's criticism is to reject all statistical studies that rely on surveys, since they will ultimately only reflect the views of the population willing to complete a survey. I find it ironic that someone named 'statman' is basically offering cover for everyone to ignore all professionally administered statistical survey results. Anyhow, why statman would assume that the population of military servicemen and women who are willing to complete surveys would not contain a fairly even distribution of viewpoints on this issue is a little perplexing. Is their any good reason to assume that those people willing to complete surveys would have bias in favor of repealing DADT?

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
      Nope. I learned it in a college statistics class. I was a math minor, and paid for my BYU education by working as a math TA.

Anyhow, I've just looked into , and it is solid. The poll was offered to the ENTIRE target population, thus eliminating the need for randomization. While statman is correct, that the poll could show some bias resulting from the voluntary nature of the poll, this criticism holds true for ALL polls (except those forced on people at gunpoint... which would presumably display a different kind of bias). To accept statman's criticism is to reject all statistical studies that rely on surveys, since they will ultimately only reflect the views of the population willing to complete a survey. I find it ironic that someone named 'statman' is basically offering cover for everyone to ignore all professionally administered statistical survey results. Anyhow, why statman would assume that the population of military servicemen and women who are willing to complete surveys would not contain a fairly even distribution of viewpoints on this issue is a little perplexing. Is their any good reason to assume that those people willing to complete surveys would have bias in favor of repealing DADT?
      Hey, I said this first!

I've already given my opinion that this poll gives a general feeling as to where the military personnel stand. I was not aware this was 6% of the whole military and I'll concede this is a polarizing issue that could have biased results but the size of the returned surveys by the population does give a pretty solid base to the polled general feeling. Lastly, I think we both agree on the action that needs to be taken.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Either way, this is a fundamental issue of fairness and civil rights. This type of polling should have no bearing on the decision.
        I agree that this is a fundamental issue of civil rights, but this leads me to a question that I've posed on CB (prior to my finding the wealth of knowledge of CUF). How come the US continues to not allow women to fight on the front lines of combat? If this is an issue of civil rights, we should allow ALL people the right to be in combat situations to the extent they can perform the duties of their position. Maybe this is the next logical step.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

This thread highlights to me that we've come a long ways in eight years with respect to gays in the military as well as women in combat.

His politics aside, I'm saddened that we'll be losing John McCain soon. He's an American hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            This thread highlights to me that we've come a long ways in eight years with respect to gays in the military as well as women in combat.

His politics aside, I'm saddened that we'll be losing John McCain soon. He's an American hero.
            McCain's a good man. He'll be a huge loss. Especially compared to the vile person in the White House now.
            Last edited by frank ryan; 08-24-2018, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

One of the few true patriots, putting country ahead of himself. God bless John McCain.

Comment

A rare voice of sanity in the GOP:

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                  One of the few true patriots, putting country ahead of himself. God bless John McCain.
                  Yep
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                    JohnMcCain.jpg
                    https://politics.theonion.com/john-m...raq-1828584863

Yes, a hell of a fighter. God speed John McCain!
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      [ATTACH]8997[/ATTACH]
                      https://politics.theonion.com/john-m...raq-1828584863

Yes, a hell of a fighter. God speed John McCain!
                      Déclassé.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

RIP.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          RIP.
                          It's a shame McCain won't be alive to see us invade Iran.
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

RIP, Senator and Commander. I can't imagine broken arms, torture and five years of imprisonment. Or Sarah Palin.

I'm glad his daughter was by his side when he passed.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Definitely a great American. Further depletes bipartisanship from the halls of Congress. RIP

Comment

Definately one of the good guys

May he have fair seas and a following wind

RIP

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Working...
                                X