The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
    Nice work, Moliere. Which shoes did you run the 4 miles in yesterday?
    I ran in my Vibrams. I keep my Frees at work and my Vibrams at home and I try to run 2 times a week in the Frees and once in the Vibrams. I ran 5.25 miles on Monday in the Frees and the cramping starting around 4.5 miles. It wasn't bad cramping, but I had to spend some extra time stretching afterwards.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Great work, fellas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
        whoa, just ran my fastest 5K at 27:56.

Finish - 6.21 - 56:36 .......but the finish line was actually 6.27 - 57:07.

Personal best 5k and 10k

Well those records stood for 11 days. New 5K and 10K records set today, 27:17 and 55:20 respectively. 8:54 pace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          Well those records stood for 11 days. New 5K and 10K records set today, 27:17 and 55:20 respectively. 8:54 pace.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Took this during today's morning run. We Utah runners are spoiled. Can I get an amen?

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
              Took this during today's morning run. We Utah runners are spoiled. Can I get an amen?

A freaking men. Being in Chicago this week, it is no comparison. I will take the weather, open roads and trails of Utah everyday.

Comment

• Had a great run last night. I wanted to push it a bit, but not too much. I ended up doing 4 miles in 31:33. My splits were:

Mile 1: 7:59
                Mile 2: 7:56
                Mile 3: 7:54
                Mile 4: 7:44

I've never ran 4 miles that fast and to do negative splits was great. My fastest and only 5K race was 24:21 and I missed that by about 10 seconds, but then I ran another mile faster than the beginning pace. Come to think of it, my final 5K last night likely was faster than 24:21. I'll have to import the run into Strava and see what it gives me for the last 5K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Had a great run last night. I wanted to push it a bit, but not too much. I ended up doing 4 miles in 31:33. My splits were:

I've never ran 4 miles that fast and to do negative splits was great. My fastest and only 5K race was 24:21 and I missed that by about 10 seconds, but then I ran another mile faster than the beginning pace. Come to think of it, my final 5K last night likely was faster than 24:21. I'll have to import the run into Strava and see what it gives me for the last 5K.
                  That's a great run.

While I don't necessarily pay attention to negative splits throughout a run, I've developed the habit of running the last mile or half mile at a faster pace than the rest of the run. If I'm working on speed, I'll drop 30 seconds. For a pace run I'll drop 60. If it is a long-slow run, then I'll drop it 90 seconds or so. For the really long runs I might stretch that out over a couple of miles - dropping 30 seconds every quarter mile for one mile and then maintaining at the fastest speed for another.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I like to believe that I'm conditioning myself physically and mentally to not just finish the distance but to push it hard at the end and finish strong rather than dragging myself across the finish line.

Comment

• So - a friend/neighbor has talked my wife and I into running the Rivalry Relay at the end of August. Anyone done that before or anyone else entering this year?

The group we have is really just into it for fun - and I'm the biggest runner in the group - so I've been volunteered to run the 5K up Suncrest. I've started adding more hills into my weekly routine - but I'm open for advice from anyone with experience doing a lot of hills as far as what to do to prepare and on race day.

Comment

• I'm starting to get a little nervous about being able to get trained up for St. George. Last time I posted in this thread, I voiced some concern that I've been experiencing a tightness on the inside of my knees after I run post run, followed by sitting at my desk for several hours at a time. I thought that it may have been an MCL issue and someone here suggested that it might be pes anserine bursitis, which I've done a little reading about as well. I've been very careful in gradually increasing my distances, but one thing I read about pes anserine bursitis that made sense was that it could be triggered by running a lot of hills, which I had been doing for my long runs.

Anyway, I have a fair amount of consistent soreness in both my knees. If I stay fairly mobile after a run, then my knees never seem to stiffen up as much, but work days can be sort of brutal. Days where I run 3 1/2 miles and sit at a desk seem much more sore than days where I run 12 and am out and about. I haven't been very good at applying ice after a run, but I'm trying to do more of this, recently.

Due to illness/vacation, I have missed up to 10 days running and haven't seemed to notice any improvement upon my return. I've been running on the same shoes for about a year now, so I'm sure those aren't doing me any favors. I'm planning on replacing them this week. My elder's quorum president is a podiatrist and we had a short discussion about it a couple months ago and he recommended maybe using some ortho inserts.

Because of this or in addition, my times have been creeping up ever since the 10k I ran in April. Back then I was running my morning 3.5 mile loop at a pretty consistent 7:50. Recently, I'm a minute to 90 seconds slower than that.

I'm using the Runner's World Smart Coach training program for St. George and it has me doing speed work on one of my three running days/week. While in Salt Lake for the 4th, it had me run 2 7:53 miles, which I was a little surprised that I was able to maintain, given my recent history and the elevation. But I was able to use the high school track near my mom's house for that. My local high school track is completely locked up and I don't really have anything around me that's flat enough to give me a consistent effort. Thursday of last week I was supposed to do 3 miles of tempo work (8:21) but due to work field requirements the two days previous and walking about 6 miles each day on uneven terrain, it was obvious after a half mile that my knees weren't in very good condition, so I stopped.

On Saturday I met with a local running group that is training for St. George and did 12 miles with them. They do most of their long runs at this point down Mt. Charleston to get the legs conditioned for the downhill. In those 12 miles, I lost 3,000 ft of elevation. I was nervous going into it but was surprised at how well my knees seemed to hold up.

Anyway, I've been wanting to post here for awhile, but as you can tell, not really sure what to post. I guess at this point, I just wanted to do an information dump and get a little feedback from some of you veterans. I want to say that continuing to run doesn't seem to be making things worse, but that doesn't seem to be completely true. Continuing to run doesn't seem to be making things much worse. My major concerns are this: 1. Running and causing enough damage to miss St. George OR 2. Taking time off to heal and losing enough training time to cause me to miss St. George. I really should have been more aggressive when the pain first started to occur, but can't do much about that now. I guess I'm hoping for a little miracle by replacing the shoes, but I'm pretty realistic about this. If anyone has any insights or suggestions, they would be well received. Thanks!
                      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                        I'm starting to get a little nervous about being able to get trained up for St. George. Last time I posted in this thread, I voiced some concern that I've been experiencing a tightness on the inside of my knees after I run post run, followed by sitting at my desk for several hours at a time.
                        When you say 'inside' do you mean medial, or do you mean inside as in underneath your knee caps? Is there any chance you just have a case of runner's knee (patellofemoral syndrome, or maybe chondromalacia)? If so, I found exercises to strengthen medial quads as well as glutes/hips to be helpful. Strengthening hips/glutes is good for any runner anyway.

If it's something different, ignore everything I just said.

Also, I think there's actually good reason to hope that a change in shoes could bring more improvement than you realize.

Good luck, stuff like this can be agonizingly frustrating.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                          When you say 'inside' do you mean medial, or do you mean inside as in underneath your knee caps? Is there any chance you just have a case of runner's knee (patellofemoral syndrome, or maybe chondromalacia)? If so, I found exercises to strengthen medial quads as well as glutes/hips to be helpful. Strengthening hips/glutes is good for any runner anyway.

If it's something different, ignore everything I just said.

Also, I think there's actually good reason to hope that a change in shoes could bring more improvement than you realize.

Good luck, stuff like this can be agonizingly frustrating.
                          Exactly. Definitely medial. My original experience was that I could run with no discomfort but then come to work and sit for several hours, upon standing, it would take the tendon several moments to stretch out. The tightness is definitely across the medial part of the knee. There is also a spot about 3-4 inched below the knee in line with the MCL that is tender to the touch. Which seems to be consistent with pes anserine bursitis.

Although my issue doesn't seem to be related to the two that you mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a strengthing issue that I should consider working on anyway.
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            Had a great run last night. I wanted to push it a bit, but not too much. I ended up doing 4 miles in 31:33. My splits were:

So I dropped my run into Strava and cropped it so that I had the final 5K of the run and the time was 24:16, which is 5 seconds faster than my previous (and only) 5K race. That's insane that my workout run, after running almost 1 mile, would be faster than a 5K where I was rested, carb loaded, and running with people.

Today's run of 5 miles though was tough as I wasn't fully rested, but I still slugged it out in 43 minutes.

Comment

• I have a crazy dream (I won't call it a goal - not sure I will ever get there) of one day running a sub 20 minute 5K. In training runs I get into the 22-23 minute range fairly frequently. And honestly, I've never actually run a 5K race - just as part of a sprint tri once. So I'm not sure how I would do in a race.

But this morning, not long after starting my run, I decided to see what I could clock for a 5K. The short route I usually run - which is what the local rec center uses for a 5K for their sprint tri's - starts on a decline and finishes on an incline. Not steep, but you definitely feel the difference.

According to Garmin, I was able to finish in 21:20. Another 30 seconds/mile or so and I'm there! (Oh...is that all?) I had already gone 200-300 yards before I decided to really run, so the first mile wasn't the quickest. But I was pretty excited to finish at sub 7 minute miles for the last two - particularly since it included the inclined running.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                                I have a crazy dream (I won't call it a goal - not sure I will ever get there) of one day running a sub 20 minute 5K. In training runs I get into the 22-23 minute range fairly frequently. And honestly, I've never actually run a 5K race - just as part of a sprint tri once. So I'm not sure how I would do in a race.

But this morning, not long after starting my run, I decided to see what I could clock for a 5K. The short route I usually run - which is what the local rec center uses for a 5K for their sprint tri's - starts on a decline and finishes on an incline. Not steep, but you definitely feel the difference.

According to Garmin, I was able to finish in 21:20. Another 30 seconds/mile or so and I'm there! (Oh...is that all?) I had already gone 200-300 yards before I decided to really run, so the first mile wasn't the quickest. But I was pretty excited to finish at sub 7 minute miles for the last two - particularly since it included the inclined running.
                                Not crazy, and I have the same goal. Based on your times you might get closer than you think in an actual race, with the adrenaline boost. I can usually count on an extra minute and change coming off on race day. If you ran a 21:20 in those conditions, I'd bet good money you're coming pretty darn close in a flat 5k. Sign up for one and let us know how you do!

Comment

Working...
                                X