The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    I continued my reign of terror as the fastest person in Big Pine. That is not saying a lot.

Yesterday was the Big Pine Fire Department 10k/5k and somehow I was able to pull out the win. Having only run once since April I was not sure how my legs would respond, I was just hoping to stay with my wife on the big climb. http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/110059989

I hung with my wife through the first couple of miles, but as we started to climb I was able to keep chugging along and she dropped back a few steps. Some Aussie guy, stayed about 20 paces behind us the whole time, too. Despite serious urges to walk and give hte race away I pushed on. I actually think all the climbing I have been doing on the bike has made me a bit more mentally tough.

First water stop was at the highest point on the race course and also about 1/2 way, and it was all down here from there. Took one swig of water and left the paved road and headed down some atv roads. The footing isn't great on alot of this, so I knew if I kept a lead up until this point that I could probably pull this thing out.

Between mile 4 and 5 I think my pace was 6:15 or 6:20. I was flying down the hill, but not really putting much more distance between myself and the 2 following close behind. This is about when the aussie guy passed my wife, so I kept pushing my speed as he narrowed the gap a bit.

I knew I had it, or really hoped, when I looked back going around a turn and the guy was about 100 m behind. So I tried to keep up the pace through the flat at the end. My 10 year old daughter joined my with a 1/2 mile to go and informed me that she had been 3rd overall in the 5k and ran that in about 27:00, which made me a very proud dad. I told her to wait for her mom as I ran around the park to the finish chute. As I came to end, I had to ask the guy standing there if it was indeed the finish, becuase it was actually hard to tell. When he told me it was, he noticed that I had a 10k on my number, said oh you are first and handed me a medal. No one taking times, just some guy not really paying attention, handing out a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place medals, that is how we roll in Big Pine.

I will have to check my watch, but I think I did the "10k" in about 43:00, which I was really happy with, very tough course. This make 5 or 6 years in a row that I have won, since they started doing the race again. My wife once again was the fastest woman, though she was disappointed that she did not get second like all the other years. I am most proud of my daughter, she did awesome. She said that at a water stop, she actually stayed there longer, so the photographer could take her picture. She wore her medal all day long.
    You are a family of bad asses. Nice work.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      Having only run once since April I was not sure how my legs would respond
      Wow, nice job BP. Imagine what you could have done if you'd doubled your running in preparation. Geez, that's superhuman and unfair.

Comment

• Way to go Piney! It also doesn't bug me at all that your 10 year old daughter has a faster 5k time than me. Not at all.

Comment

• I don't know how much longer I can keep this running thing up for now. I was trying to head out earlier this morning but got tied up in a work-related call so I didn't head out until just past 9:30 am. When I made it back a little before 10:30 I was dying. I checked the weather and it was 88* with a RealFeel of 97*. The humidity was going strong and hasn't let off since about April.

I also got charged by a German Shepherd for the second time this week. Fortunately, the invisible fence stopped this guy because I was definitely more worried about this encounter than being on a bike with one. At least it was in the fancy neighborhood so my family could have had someone worth suing if something had happened.

Do German Shepherds swim? I think it's time to switch to the pool.
          I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Gentlemen, I really am impressed - good job to all of you!

I have stepped up my walking this past week - 11.5 miles tues (appox 2:35), 12.6 (appox 2:48) on the 4th and 10.2 (appox 2:17) yesterday and I am about to depart on another 10-11 mile trek
            Last edited by happyone; 07-06-2012, 08:45 AM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• If I may share a moment of personal joy in this thread, though not a long distance by any means I completed my first run of sub 10 minute miles this morning. 5.3 miles in 52:02. I was really happy with and for myself.

I don't think I will ever be really fast, I'm just not built like a runner. But I do think I could possibly get to the 9:10-20 range with some work and perseverance.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                If I may share a moment of personal joy in this thread, though not a long distance by any means I completed my first run of sub 10 minute miles this morning. 5.3 miles in 52:02. I was really happy with and for myself.

I don't think I will ever be really fast, I'm just not built like a runner. But I do think I could possibly get to the 9:10-20 range with some work and perseverance.
                That's awesome and welcome to the "fast enough to be running but not fast enough to really compete" club. I'm a lifetime member.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  If I may share a moment of personal joy in this thread, though not a long distance by any means I completed my first run of sub 10 minute miles this morning. 5.3 miles in 52:02. I was really happy with and for myself.

:rockon2:Rock on, HFN!

having just joined recently, I know the joy of which you speak. I was also a belieber that I would be stuck in the 9 minute range. Recently having ran miles comfortably in the mid to high 8s I think I can get into that range as well. So can you.

as for an achievement of my own, I ran 5 miles at negative splits (thank you google!) last night. 10:32, 10:03, 9:37, 9:27, and 8:59.

Comment

• HFN that's awesome. One of the things I like about running is it allows me to feed my need for competition without necessarily involving anyone else. It's just me against me. Even in a race, my primary goal is always to beat my own previous times more so than the people around me.

So it's all relative, and success like yours feels awesome regardless of the level. Celebrate away, I love to hear stuff like that on this thread, and don't ever feel the need to justify your success. Not all of us can run like ER.

Coach, your progress is pretty sweet as well. Nice job.

Comment

• It is too darn hot - last night the signs at both Fairfield Jr High and the Zions bank in Kaysville read 99*( about 1 1/2 miles between them by my route ) between 8 and 8:20 PM. The dog really didn't want to jog, but then neither did I The sign at the Golden West Credit Union said 108*, but somehow I think it was wrong

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                        HFN that's awesome. One of the things I like about running is it allows me to feed my need for competition without necessarily involving anyone else. It's just me against me. Even in a race, my primary goal is always to beat my own previous times more so than the people around me.

So it's all relative, and success like yours feels awesome regardless of the level. Celebrate away, I love to hear stuff like that on this thread, and don't ever feel the need to justify your success. Not all of us can run like ER.

Coach, your progress is pretty sweet as well. Nice job.
                        You just made my day. Or year.
                        If only there weren't several people on here who are faster than me...but I never thought when I started running tht anyone would have thought of me as a fast runner.

But really, I agree with this competition against yourself. It's much like golf in that respect--sure, friendly competitions against friends, but mostly it's against yourself. I'm a little numbers-obsessed and running can certainly feed that. Watching improvement is really exhilarating, and it happens more reliably than in golf. At some point, age will catch up and my times will start to slow down. But then, you can just watch your percentile finishes.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• As I mentioned above, Hal Higdons half training on Wednesday is a two mile run. I have been using that run to crank up my speed and see what is possible. Today I was feeling quite well and really pushed. I ran 2.02 in 16:05 average pace of 7:57.

I am of the belief that there may be a limit to how fast I can go, but it was no where near where I thought it was. Limits are in your head.
                          Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 07-11-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• I'm feeling a small but growing sense of hope that I might be able to hit my primary running goal (sub-20 5k) soon. I've been focused on this for a while, in part because I've battled medial tibial stuff for the past year and I've been forced to keep my mileage down (I haven't been over 20 miles in a week in over a year).

I did a tempo run this morning in preparation for the Steel Days 5k next week here in American Fork. 1.5 warmup, 3.1 tempo section, 1.5 cooldown. It went as well as a tempo run can I think...I was never super uncomfortable and during the tempo section ran at about 85% effort, and came in at 7:09 pace. My last few tempo runs (I don't have a gps watch, so I run them all by feel) have been anywhere between 6:44 and 7:21 pace.

I don't want to jinx myself and I'm definitely not planning on or expecting anything, but I've been working for this for a while and I can smell it. I can almost taste it.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                              I'm feeling a small but growing sense of hope that I might be able to hit my primary running goal (sub-20 5k) soon. I've been focused on this for a while, in part because I've battled medial tibial stuff for the past year and I've been forced to keep my mileage down (I haven't been over 20 miles in a week in over a year).

I did a tempo run this morning in preparation for the Steel Days 5k next week here in American Fork. 1.5 warmup, 3.1 tempo section, 1.5 cooldown. It went as well as a tempo run can I think...I was never super uncomfortable and during the tempo section ran at about 85% effort, and came in at 7:09 pace. My last few tempo runs (I don't have a gps watch, so I run them all by feel) have been anywhere between 6:44 and 7:21 pace.

I don't want to jinx myself and I'm definitely not planning on or expecting anything, but I've been working for this for a while and I can smell it. I can almost taste it.
                              Sub 20? That would be crazy. Sounds like some hard work is paying off.

I ran 4 miles last night and took the first 3 easy (8:45 pace). I was feeling good so I decided to have some fun and see what I could do on the last mile. I increased my speed and ended up with a 7:35, which is my fastest mile by a couple seconds. I did some calculations in my head and determined that a sub 22 5K would be my ultimate goal.

The downside to my run is that my calves are killing me. They cramped up a minute or so after my run and they are very sore today. I've been having cramps anytime I go over 4 miles, but I figure that is more due to the heat/humidity than it is just me. I probably also need to get more fluids in me during my runs.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                Sub 20? That would be crazy. Sounds like some hard work is paying off.

I ran 4 miles last night and took the first 3 easy (8:45 pace). I was feeling good so I decided to have some fun and see what I could do on the last mile. I increased my speed and ended up with a 7:35, which is my fastest mile by a couple seconds. I did some calculations in my head and determined that a sub 22 5K would be my ultimate goal.

The downside to my run is that my calves are killing me. They cramped up a minute or so after my run and they are very sore today. I've been having cramps anytime I go over 4 miles, but I figure that is more due to the heat/humidity than it is just me. I probably also need to get more fluids in me during my runs.
                                Nice work, Moliere. Which shoes did you run the 4 miles in yesterday?

Comment

Working...
                                X