The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    I forgot to post about it, but 2 weeks before the marathon, I went out for a quick run before work and a cattle dog or border collie or something to that effect starts charging at me and barking. So I picked up some rocks and yelled at it to get away. The owner that is staying at the campground starts yelling at me to put the rocks down. The hell I will. I throw a rock at the dog when it starts to get too close and pick up another. As the dog gets too close again I kick it while also trying to deflect its attack. Now the owner gets his own rock and throws one at me, narrowly missing, and then comes over to get in my face. I would have beat him down, the fucking old guy, if his dog was still not presenting a serious threat the entire time. He tells me that you never pick up a rock, and that only makes the dog attack. Like hell, he must not know the same res dogs that I do. I manage to back away from both the assholes and run the 1/2 mile home.

There I called the sheriff, and a deputy and animal control show up a half hour later to document and take pictures of the open wounds on my leg. Lucking they are only scratches as I was able to avoid the bite when the dog attacked. They managed to find the owner and the dog. Took the dog to the pound till they were able to determine if it had all its shots. I don't know how much the guy was fined, but it wasn't enough. I decided not to press charges, it only would have been a misdemeanor, but my wife was sure pissed that I didn't when I told her.

I wish at the time I had either brought the mace I have with me, or a baseball bat. I would still take nothing but pleasure from taking a nice hard swing with an aluminum bat and connecting with that dogs skull. Lucking for everyone, myself included, the guy and dog are from LA somewhere, so I will hopefully never see either again.

BTW, I never liked dogs, but I really hate them now.
    I thought of you when a dog came after me while I was running this weekend. It was only a little chihuahua-sized dog, though, and a swift (but not injurious) punt to the head sent it yipping back home.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
      I thought of you when a dog came after me while I was running this weekend. It was only a little chihuahua-sized dog, though, and a swift (but not injurious) punt to the head sent it yipping back home.
      Good for you.

Warms my heart to hear that.

Comment

• what a difference a day makes

Monday it was warm enough (62 according to the bank signs) that I ditched the sweat shirt, gloves and knit cap, saw 15-18 other people out walking/jogging

Tuesday it was COLD, when I passed the bank sign it said it was 32 degrees. It was also snowing - I come home looking like a snow cone! I also didn't see anyone else out jogging/walking

Today it was not bad if the wind wasn't blowing, when it was in was a bit chilly

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• I jumped on the Brooks Pureflow on Leap Day (29% off!) and I really like them. I tried the Connect but they were too slim for me right now and the flow just felt right. I'm easing into them, but I really like them and they are amazingly light.

I was inspired by some nut who ran 1000 miles last year to set my own mileage goal for the year. Saturday I passed 100 and have less than 500 to go now. I'm a little off the pace I wanted, but I'm still really excited and can't believe I've run this much considering that a year ago I had been running for about 3 weeks. I love the high, but I need to get the mileage in before the days are long enough for riding!
          I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
            I jumped on the Brooks Pureflow on Leap Day (29% off!) and I really like them. I tried the Connect but they were too slim for me right now and the flow just felt right. I'm easing into them, but I really like them and they are amazingly light.
            Yeah, that's the thing about the Connect - they are narrow. I like the fit, but my feet aren't super wide.

You might want to try the Green Silence if you liked the Connect - I tried on a pair and I really liked them. Weird looking shoe though.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Fun 10K today down Snow Canyon. Nasty headwind coming up the canyon but temps were perfect. Solon and I PR'ed, Salsa almost did. Looked for Dwight Schrute, but unfortunately, there were a few tall guys in green so alas, no connection.

Anyone else run any St Patty's races?
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                Fun 10K today down Snow Canyon. Nasty headwind coming up the canyon but temps were perfect. Solon and I PR'ed, Salsa almost did. Looked for Dwight Schrute, but unfortunately, there were a few tall guys in green so alas, no connection.

Sounds fun. What were your times? congrats on a good race!

Comment

Fun 10K today down Snow Canyon. Nasty headwind coming up the canyon but temps were perfect. Solon and I PR'ed, Salsa almost did. Looked for Dwight Schrute, but unfortunately, there were a few tall guys in green so alas, no connection.

Saw your time on the list. Hell of a run, sir! For the record, I'll add another PR to the list. Although it was my first 10k, so take it for what it's worth. But at 7:44, it is officially the fastest pace I've had so far to date. And that includes shorter runs. My goal was under 50:00 and I finished in 48:00 flat. I'm very happy about that. I started like a moron, and thought that I'd take advantage of the chip time and held back a couple of minutes before crossing the start line hoping things would thin out a little. Wrong! It just meant that trying to push my way through the horde was all the more frustrating once we got to the trail section. I'm sure I wasted a bunch of energy in the process. I guess that's what I get for taking one more piss a couple minutes before the gun.

The wind in the canyon was pretty ugly at times but I was able to find a couple of sizable folks to draft behind and sling shot my way forward one poor sap at a time. Fun race though. I looked for you but those numbers all look the same after the first 50. Next race.
                  I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                    Saw your time on the list. Hell of a run, sir! For the record, I'll add another PR to the list. Although it was my first 10k, so take it for what it's worth. But at 7:44, it is officially the fastest pace I've had so far to date. And that includes shorter runs. My goal was under 50:00 and I finished in 48:00 flat. I'm very happy about that. I started like a moron, and thought that I'd take advantage of the chip time and held back a couple of minutes before crossing the start line hoping things would thin out a little. Wrong! It just meant that trying to push my way through the horde was all the more frustrating once we got to the trail section. I'm sure I wasted a bunch of energy in the process. I guess that's what I get for taking one more piss a couple minutes before the gun.

The wind in the canyon was pretty ugly at times but I was able to find a couple of sizable folks to draft behind and sling shot my way forward one poor sap at a time. Fun race though. I looked for you but those numbers all look the same after the first 50. Next race.
                    Yeah, my wife got caught by the same thing--the run enters the paved trail way too soon. And yeah, the wind was rough. Also, all those little rollers on the running trail that don't show up on the course profile. Grr.

Overall, it's still a fast course. Not the fastest one out there with all the rollers but fun to let go down the canyon. It loses about 500 ft over 6 miles, so I think it works for a decent approximation of the St G Marathon, which loses 2600 over the 26 miles, but has the nasty Veyo hill in there.

Told you you'd go faster than 50:00... Nice job--that's a fantastic first 10K.
                    Last edited by ERCougar; 03-17-2012, 06:29 PM.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post

I was one of those poor saps, coming it at just under 52 mins. (I usually run 9:30-10:00 miles, so I was surprised to realize I ran at an 8:19 clip)

I started too far back as well - unlikely for me since I'm a slowpoke. Way too many people with running strollers lining up towards the front.

I love that canyon. The Snow Canyon Half in Nov. is a fantastic run as well.

Sorry we missed you Dwight.
                      "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                      -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Yeah, my wife got caught by the same thing--the run enters the paved trail way too soon. And yeah, the wind was rough. Also, all those little rollers on the running trail that don't show up on the course profile. Grr.

Overall, it's still a fast course. Not the fastest one out there with all the rollers but fun to let go down the canyon. It loses about 500 ft over 6 miles, so I think it works for a decent approximation of the St G Marathon, which loses 2600 over the 26 miles, but has the nasty Veyo hill in there.

Told you you'd go faster than 50:00... Nice job--that's a fantastic first 10K.
                        I'm really wanting to get into running; I don't want to get back into racing, but want to get into running. The two are totally different beasts. I raced 5Ks and used some 10Ks for training, but ended up racing, though I'm not cut out for long distance.

I'm now in a situation in my life where I think I want to take up running per se. That includes "running" 10Ks. Oddly enough, I have absolutely no idea how to start running and stick with it. Every time I start running my mind enters training mentality and my body can't handle it, so I get injured.

The first step, I presume, is to recognize that I'll never break 30 in a 10K again and I'll likely never break 40. Even so, as I write this, I'm thinking about times. I've gotta get this outta my head, but it is hard.

How does one start running, just for the joy of increased endurance, decreased cardiovascular risk, and enjoyment of running a 10K with loved ones? I think I need a running buddy.
                        "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                          I'm really wanting to get into running; I don't want to get back into racing, but want to get into running. The two are totally different beasts. I raced 5Ks and used some 10Ks for training, but ended up racing, though I'm not cut out for long distance.

I'm now in a situation in my life where I think I want to take up running per se. That includes "running" 10Ks. Oddly enough, I have absolutely no idea how to start running and stick with it. Every time I start running my mind enters training mentality and my body can't handle it, so I get injured.

The first step, I presume, is to recognize that I'll never break 30 in a 10K again and I'll likely never break 40. Even so, as I write this, I'm thinking about times. I've gotta get this outta my head, but it is hard.

How does one start running, just for the joy of increased endurance, decreased cardiovascular risk, and enjoyment of running a 10K with loved ones? I think I need a running buddy.
                          Running is not as fun as cycling. I suggest you buy a bike.

Comment

Having never been a competitive runner, I have no real advice, but I think it's an interesting phenomenon. I sometimes wish that I had run in high school, since all of the really fast runners did, but it seems to be almost more common that high school and college runners burn out on it. Or, like you, when they try to get back into it, they can't handle their slower times and they overtrain and get injured, or just plain get discouraged and give up. I think it's a great lifelong sport, but I don't know which direction to encourage my kids to go. Maybe I'll just let them choose.
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Maybe you could register for and train for a marathon. Most beginner training schedules require lots of miles at a marathon-or-slower pace; that might break the habit of trying to speed through every run.

I had a friend who played college basketball. He hurt his knee his junior year and wasn't ever able to get back to peak form. When I knew him, it was several years after his playing days were over. He stopped playing basketball because playing at a lower level of performance was unpleasant and frustrating for him. He took up roller hockey (), and he enjoyed playing a sport in which he could still reach new heights of performance and skill. I don't know if you're in that situation or not. If you are, your brother may be onto something with the bike thing.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

I run into this issue, but not to the same degree. I ran sprints/mid distance in HS and was never good enough to compete for a state title, but I pushed my body to the limits and knew nothing other than to train for the next race.

When I started running I told myself it was a lifestyle change instead of a way to be competitive. It's been difficult to hold back on even the most simple runs. It's taken two stress fractures to finally convince myself I don't need to kill myself on every run. I used to go out and try and beat the last run in terms of pace/miles, which has probably been some of the reason I've been injured so much. I have to mentally remind myself it's a lifestyle change. In fact, my run this morning was 2 miles and I forced myself to slow down and take it easy, so I ended up running 8:30 splits instead of 8:00, which is what I can do without even pushing too hard.

If you can't make the change, then I like the idea above of taking up roller hockey.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X