The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    As another testament to sticking in there - my wife went for a short run last night. For the past month she's been asking me if there would ever come a day that she wouldn't hate it and it wouldn't hurt. Last night she told me that for the first time it didn't hurt. Which caused her to not hate it. And it was the fastest she's ran this particular route. It can happen!
    Very cool!

I had the same experience about two months ago when I finally learned I didn't have to kill it every time. I've found my long, slower runs to be the ones I enjoy the most. Thanks mostly to CUF for making me realize I should tone it down once in a while and go the distance.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I'm kind of surprised at how many women I see running alone at dusk or a little after - last night I was passed by 3 different ladies running alone. I realize Layton isn't Central Park, but still ...

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
        I'm kind of surprised at how many women I see running alone at dusk or a little after - last night I was passed by 3 different ladies running alone. I realize Layton isn't Central Park, but still ...
        My sophomore year in college I ran a bit. I was trying to get back in shape after the mish. I would run at night, usually around 9pm and would go north on University Avenue since it had a nice wide sidewalk. I would pass many women running alone and they always seemed freaked out by a male coming up behind them. I guess many of them get a false sense of security being around BYU.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Count me as one of those guys that takes a while to learn certain lessons.

When it's been cold, and there has been any kind of snow - even a very light snow, SLOW DOWN ON THE CORNERS DUMMY! When there's just enough snow to cover things, you just never know where the ice will be. Running straight it doesn't much matter. But take a corner and I go down hard.

Luckily just a skinned knee to show for it.

On the bright side, now that one of my running pants have a hole in the knee I know which ones to wear the rest of winter when it might be slick out. And I'm kind of glad that I wasn't wearing the brand new running tights my wife gave me, or they'd have a hole in them instead.

Comment

Count me as one of those guys that takes a while to learn certain lessons.

When it's been cold, and there has been any kind of snow - even a very light snow, SLOW DOWN ON THE CORNERS DUMMY! When there's just enough snow to cover things, you just never know where the ice will be. Running straight it doesn't much matter. But take a corner and I go down hard.

On the bright side, now that one of my running pants have a hole in the knee I know which ones to wear the rest of winter when it might be slick out. And I'm kind of glad that I wasn't wearing the brand new running tights my wife gave me, or they'd have a hole in them instead.
            I hit the ground this morning too. We only had a dusting of snow in Boise this morning, but I went down turning a corner. I only ripped a little hole in a 50 cent glove. The odd thing was, when I got up, I checked my hands and they didn't hurt much, but then over the next quarter mile or so I could feel a little bit of jarring in my shoulders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
              I hit the ground this morning too. We only had a dusting of snow in Boise this morning, but I went down turning a corner. I only ripped a little hole in a 50 cent glove. The odd thing was, when I got up, I checked my hands and they didn't hurt much, but then over the next quarter mile or so I could feel a little bit of jarring in my shoulders.
              That's all we had - just a dusting. Not even enough to cover everything. But enough to make the ice slick.

This is only the second time this winter so far. Hopefully I won't need a third...

Comment

• I haven't fallen yet, but I've come close a couple of times. That is why when it is really slick out I'll just walk. I really don't need any more aches and pains

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Monday's are my hard running days so last night I tried to push myself a bit. I ran a 5K in 25:10, which is my fastest so far. Not too shabby for 5 months of running. Here are my splits:

Mile 1: 8:12
                  Mile 2: 8:06
                  Mile 3: 8:06

Oh, and I didn't fall down.

Comment

• Looking good - The not falling down part is a real accomplishment

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                      Monday's are my hard running days so last night I tried to push myself a bit. I ran a 5K in 25:10, which is my fastest so far. Not too shabby for 5 months of running. Here are my splits:

Nice job!
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                        Monday's are my hard running days so last night I tried to push myself a bit. I ran a 5K in 25:10, which is my fastest so far. Not too shabby for 5 months of running. Here are my splits:

That's Great! Anytime your last mile is faster than your first you are doing well. That's some pretty good consistency over the full distance.

When I first started running I liked running on a treadmill because it forced me to maintain a certain speed throughout the entire run. I would find the speed I could go and still finish the distance and run at that speed for a week, and then starting the next week I would bump it up 1-2 notches - usually only about .06-.12 seconds per mile. But I remember after a couple of months being excited at running a certain speed over 3 miles than I hadn't been able to maintain for a half mile when I started. Gaining some speed is certainly gratifying.

Comment

That's Great! Anytime your last mile is faster than your first you are doing well. That's some pretty good consistency over the full distance.

When I first started running I liked running on a treadmill because it forced me to maintain a certain speed throughout the entire run. I would find the speed I could go and still finish the distance and run at that speed for a week, and then starting the next week I would bump it up 1-2 notches - usually only about .06-.12 seconds per mile. But I remember after a couple of months being excited at running a certain speed over 3 miles than I hadn't been able to maintain for a half mile when I started. Gaining some speed is certainly gratifying.
                          I was shocked to hear the 8:06 split on the 3rd mile. I was running a bit uphill and into a 15 mph wind. I was expecting a 8:30 split (I hear the splits every mile thorugh my earphones) based on my fatigue and the wind but I think my push the last 800 meters made the difference.

I did pay the price at the end and threw up some tuna casserole, which tasted worse coming up than it did going down.

Comment

Count me as one of those guys that takes a while to learn certain lessons.

Ran this same route again today - this time without the dusting of snow - and discovered that it wasn't ice I slipped on. It was a large metal plate of some sort that I can only assume allows access to the traffic light controls or electronics. No diamond plating or anything - just smooth steel. And still very slick today in spite of the dry conditions. I'll have to watch that corner from now on...

Comment

• I need some motivation. Two years ago I lost close to 60 lbs through some serious diet and exercise. I began running during that time. I averaged close to 20 miles a week at my peak. But slowly and gradually I found excuses to not get out and pound the pavement and worse excuses to completely disregard my diet. Consequently I have put 30 lbs back on. The last time I ran was about 2 months ago.

So I am starting over. Gidget received an email today for registration for a 5k in May here locally in downtown Fredericksburg. She ran it two years ago. Our stake helps sponsor as a benefit to the local food pantry. Entry is just some non-perishable food items. So I am doing it. This will be my first race and I figure it will be an easy enough one to cut my teeth on.

Since my Brooks GTS are about toast I decided to get a new pair of shoes. I tried on some Lunarglides + 2 the other night and loved them. So having found my appropriate size I hit the net for a better deal than the $99. I found them on Runner's Warehouse and just ordered them with free 2 day shipping for $59 total.

Visit their website right now as they have a ton of shoes on closeout right now.

Here's the link:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-SALETHINGM.html

Free 2 day shipping is standard. However, at the top of the page you will notice a Team Discount link. Click on that and in the redeem discount box enter the password "binghamptond" (no quotes) to receive an additional 15% off. This is a hell of a way to stock up on shoes. I just saw Brooks Beast (typically a $130 shoe for big Clydesdales) for $66.20 shipped. Not bad at all. Just tried again on some Asics Kayano 16 and they're $70 shipped. Pretty good deals if you can find your shoe and size.

Also, they allow PayPal checkout. I had about $65 in my PayPal from stuff I eBayed a few weeks ago. So I am not out any money for my new kicks.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                I need some motivation. Two years ago I lost close to 60 lbs through some serious diet and exercise. I began running during that time. I averaged close to 20 miles a week at my peak. But slowly and gradually I found excuses to not get out and pound the pavement and worse excuses to completely disregard my diet. Consequently I have put 30 lbs back on. The last time I ran was about 2 months ago.

So I am starting over. Gidget received an email today for registration for a 5k in May here locally in downtown Fredericksburg. She ran it two years ago. Our stake helps sponsor as a benefit to the local food pantry. Entry is just some non-perishable food items. So I am doing it. This will be my first race and I figure it will be an easy enough one to cut my teeth on.

Since my Brooks GTS are about toast I decided to get a new pair of shoes. I tried on some Lunarglides + 2 the other night and loved them. So having found my appropriate size I hit the net for a better deal than the $99. I found them on Runner's Warehouse and just ordered them with free 2 day shipping for $59 total.

Visit their website right now as they have a ton of shoes on closeout right now.

Here's the link:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-SALETHINGM.html

Free 2 day shipping is standard. However, at the top of the page you will notice a Team Discount link. Click on that and in the redeem discount box enter the password "binghamptond" (no quotes) to receive an additional 15% off. This is a hell of a way to stock up on shoes. I just saw Brooks Beast (typically a $130 shoe for big Clydesdales) for $66.20 shipped. Not bad at all. Just tried again on some Asics Kayano 16 and they're $70 shipped. Pretty good deals if you can find your shoe and size.

Also, they allow PayPal checkout. I had about $65 in my PayPal from stuff I eBayed a few weeks ago. So I am not out any money for my new kicks.
                                Funny you post this. I took a three and half mile walk today, the first exercise I have had since probably April last year. Running to begin on Monday. Perhaps I will join you there if you don't mind. Can you forward me the link to the race?

Comment

Working...
                                X