The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
    I've experienced this in the past as well. I've tried to starting running several times and I always push it too hard. I've suffered stress factures, shin splints, incredible soreness, etc. This time I consciously held back. Sometimes I finished a 2 mile run and felt like I could do more but I stopped myself. So far so good on being injury free but I'm only 3.5 months into running.

And as OhioBlue said, the runs that I really enjoy are the ones that I tone it down and do 9:30 splits. At that pace I can run forever (or 5.3 miles right now) and when I stop I feel absolutely refreshed. It's my speed days that I dread.
    I enjoy the long grinding runs but my favorite are the absolute balls-to-the-wall speedy ones. Last night I was running a shorter distance and I was cruising along fairly well, and then the last mile I dropped it into my 5k race gear. It helped that I blew the doors off of a fellow runner too.

On a side note, I also love running in the cold in my black cold weather turtleneck/tights/gloves during the Xmas season. I feel invisible (my kids call it my "ninja" costume) but I get to see all the neighborhood decorations and lights in their full glory up close.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
      ...On a side note, I also love running in the cold in my black cold weather turtleneck/tights/gloves during the Xmas season. I feel invisible (my kids call it my "ninja" costume) but I get to see all the neighborhood decorations and lights in their full glory up close.
      I enjoy going out at night during this time of the year, if it is not too cold, this time of the year and seeing the lights also. It is definately a different feeling

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
        I enjoy going out at night during this time of the year, if it is not too cold, this time of the year and seeing the lights also. It is definately a different feeling
        Add me to the list that has strangely enough enjoyed the cold weather, though for me it's early in the morning not at night. And assuming I get to run again before Christmas is over, I look forward to touring the neighborhood lights.

Comment

I enjoy the long grinding runs but my favorite are the absolute balls-to-the-wall speedy ones. Last night I was running a shorter distance and I was cruising along fairly well, and then the last mile I dropped it into my 5k race gear. It helped that I blew the doors off of a fellow runner too.

On a side note, I also love running in the cold in my black cold weather turtleneck/tights/gloves during the Xmas season. I feel invisible (my kids call it my "ninja" costume) but I get to see all the neighborhood decorations and lights in their full glory up close.
          I ran last night. It was 38 degrees when I started. I also like running in the cold. I currently wear one of these, which has been awesome to run in.

http://www.shopnewbalance.com/detail.asp?style=MRJ0301

It even has this sleeve extension thing that acts as gloves and a snot rag.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
            Add me to the list that has strangely enough enjoyed the cold weather, though for me it's early in the morning not at night. And assuming I get to run again before Christmas is over, I look forward to touring the neighborhood lights.
            Not me, I am warm weather runner. Though, I might be able to get myself out this saturday for a very difficult trail 10 k. http://sagetosummit.com/pdf/TungstenPeak10K.pdf

I did run this past weekend for the first time in a long time. It hurt.

Comment

Sounds like I should just "trust" as Higdon says.

A neighbor told me his plan for his next marathon is to not take a watch, not track time at all, and just run as fast or slow as feels good. Sounded interesting to me.

And really - that is kind of my plan for the long runs. I'll keep track of how fast I'm running, and just go nice and easy - not even necessarily looking for consistency. Just get in the miles/distance.

I certainly understand injuries. I pulled a calf muscle before my last marathon and only got in about 15 miles total in the 8-9 weeks leading up to the race. About three weeks ago I pulled something in my foot playing basketball and just started running again this week. I feel like I'm starting over and will just go 3 miles a day, 4 days a week - slowly building another mile or two each week through December and January.

I like running in the morning when it is cold and dark. Rarely is there another soul out there to see - just peace and solitude. It's been fairly cold - 20-30's most days. But with a hat and gloves it warms up fast. Breathing in the cold air is awesome. Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                Also...
                Why is it that we runners only get a stinkin thread while the cyclists get their own forum? I demand equality!
                The Bike Shop is a forum for cyclists? I always assumed it was the LGBT forum of the board so I never went there.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I'm officially going to jump on the barefoot wagon after this next marathon. My wife is getting me a pair of VFF Bikilas for Xmas. I've been going more midfoot with my striking lately and I am hopeful this will make my form even better. Obviously I am going to take things slow (a mile at most the first time out) but I will return and report.
                  I'd love to hear how this goes. I'm interested, but skeptical. Particularly if most of your running is on hard surfaces - streets, sidewalks, etc.

I'm thinking of picking up some minimal running flats and working them into my shorter runs for kicks - and can see myself getting into some VFF at some point if I keep hearing good things about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                    I certainly understand injuries. I pulled a calf muscle before my last marathon and only got in about 15 miles total in the 8-9 weeks leading up to the race. About three weeks ago I pulled something in my foot playing basketball and just started running again this week. I feel like I'm starting over and will just go 3 miles a day, 4 days a week - slowly building another mile or two each week through December and January.

I like running in the morning when it is cold and dark. Rarely is there another soul out there to see - just peace and solitude. It's been fairly cold - 20-30's most days. But with a hat and gloves it warms up fast. Breathing in the cold air is awesome. Love it.
                    Amen on the breathing cold air, solitude, etc.

unrelated, I have some running gloves from Target of all places, C9 by Champion, half-fingered with a wind-blocking mitten that I can pull off once I start warming up. Might be one of my favorite pieces of 'gear' and less than $15. Cool cold-weather gear makes running in the cold even more fun.

On the injury thing, wow it sounds like you've been through your fair share. As a relative newcomer I just need someone to reassure me that I won't lose everything by taking a few weeks off. I have this fear that I won't even be able to run fast again for another 6 months after starting up again. It sounds like, given your experiences, you might be that person that can reassure me. Mostly kidding of course, but it does help to hear that you were able to run a marathon after so long with few miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      I'd love to hear how this goes. I'm interested, but skeptical. Particularly if most of your running is on hard surfaces - streets, sidewalks, etc.

I'm thinking of picking up some minimal running flats and working them into my shorter runs for kicks - and can see myself getting into some VFF at some point if I keep hearing good things about them.
                      I was skeptical too, and I still am. But I grew up running barefoot across fields and dirt so it's not a foreign idea to me. And I've lately been changing my form from heel striking to midfoot/forefoot striking. This is the next step. I don't think I will run exclusively in VFF at all, but I would like to reinforce my new form and eventually switch to racing flats for most distances and races.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                        Amen on the breathing cold air, solitude, etc.

unrelated, I have some running gloves from Target of all places, C9 by Champion, half-fingered with a wind-blocking mitten that I can pull off once I start warming up. Might be one of my favorite pieces of 'gear' and less than $15. Cool cold-weather gear makes running in the cold even more fun.

On the injury thing, wow it sounds like you've been through your fair share. As a relative newcomer I just need someone to reassure me that I won't lose everything by taking a few weeks off. I have this fear that I won't even be able to run fast again for another 6 months after starting up again. It sounds like, given your experiences, you might be that person that can reassure me. Mostly kidding of course, but it does help to hear that you were able to run a marathon after so long with few miles.
                        Sitting out with an injury sucks. I think most people have experienced them, to varying degrees - and everyone heals at different rates.

For me - I pulled a calf muscle on my 15 mile run 8 weeks from the marathon. I rested for 3-4 days and it felt good - so I went out and didn't even finish 3 miles before it was back. I took a week off. It felt good. I went out and again - around 3 miles. I took two weeks off. I went out and ran. I made three miles and it was back again. Another 2 weeks off. Again feeling good. Again - 3 miles. Two more weeks. Three days before the race I went out and did two miles. Felt good. Did an easy one mile 2 days before the race. Again felt good. Figured I had already paid - worst that could happen is I would be catching a ride to the finish line.

I actually felt really good the first half of the race - and finished 13.1 in about 1:45. Felt great, not tired or pressing yet, and excited about potentially finishing under 4 hrs.

Hit a HUGE wall around mile 17. Half walked and half ran miles 21-23 and walked most of 24-26.

I was impressed that I felt so good for the first half knowing I hadn't run longer than 3 miles in two months.

Injuries suck - but I think you don't lose as much conditioning as you might think. I mean - I think you lose speed, but I don't think you lose all of the endurance. You'll be able to run, you'll just have to ease into it before going too fast.

Comment

I kicked butt last night. I did a hard run and wanted to see how fast I could do a 5-k. I was hoping to beat MJs time of 26:08. I ended up at 25:20. Here are the splits:

Mile 1- 7:47
                          Mile 2- 8:40
                          Mile 3- 7:59
                          5K- 25:20

I still struggle with tempo. I went out fast than I wanted and then slowed down too much. The last mile was exactly what I wanted. My problem (at least I think) is that I don't know my tempo until I finish a mile and my program tells me my splits through my earphones. Hopefully soon I'll get to a point that I can tell my tempo better just by how hard I'm pushing.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                            I kicked butt last night. I did a hard run and wanted to see how fast I could do a 5-k. I was hoping to beat MJs time of 26:08. I ended up at 25:20. Here are the splits:

Mile 1- 7:47
                            Mile 2- 8:40
                            Mile 3- 7:59
                            5K- 25:20

I still struggle with tempo. I went out fast than I wanted and then slowed down too much. The last mile was exactly what I wanted. My problem (at least I think) is that I don't know my tempo until I finish a mile and my program tells me my splits through my earphones. Hopefully soon I'll get to a point that I can tell my tempo better just by how hard I'm pushing.

Nice!

Comment

I saw Santa out jogging at lunch today. The reindeer must be complaining

Really some guy in a Santa coat and cap was out on the HAFB perimeter road at lunch

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Hey, you Utah runners, I need some help. I have to squeeze in a 20 miler while I'm there and need some help figuring out a route. I'm okay going one way and taking a bus back or having my wife pick me up. I will be staying within a mile of the Cabelas in Lehi.

Comment

Working...
                                X