The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    I'm curious how to dealt with the food/nutrition aspect of this. I read your plea for help but didn't respond...mostly because I didn't know. I would have just told you to eat/drink plenty of carbs, some protein, and drink plenty of water. For carbs, I would have carbo-loaded before with some complex carbs and then used a carb-loaded powder during and in between legs.
    I have never had a problem with nutrition/energy on a relay. I normally just pig out and the interim time is plenty to reload.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
      It's actually one of the better festivals in the country. The only one i can think of off the top of my head at least that doesn't have smelly campers.
      It goes toe to toe with the polo fields of Coachella, the inspiring vistas of Sasquatch, and the hill billiness of Bumbershoot. The only one to really rival it would be Lollapalooza in downtown Chicago. But even that is contained into Grant Park and maintains a festival atmosphere. I could be wrong, but it seems that Life is Beautiful is nothing more than a series of disconnected staging areas with none of the really fun random festival stuff.
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
        It goes toe to toe with the polo fields of Coachella, the inspiring vistas of Sasquatch, and the hill billiness of Bumbershoot. The only one to really rival it would be Lollapalooza in downtown Chicago. But even that is contained into Grant Park and maintains a festival atmosphere. I could be wrong, but it seems that Life is Beautiful is nothing more than a series of disconnected staging areas with none of the really fun random festival stuff.
        Other than the oppressive heat, it is pretty fun. Lots of little forums, speakers, poetry slams, gourmet food demonstrations, crazy art galleries, etc. Although if you're into music there is barely enough time to just do that. It is a bit of sensory overload.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I'm curious how to dealt with the food/nutrition aspect of this. I read your plea for help but didn't respond...mostly because I didn't know. I would have just told you to eat/drink plenty of carbs, some protein, and drink plenty of water. For carbs, I would have carbo-loaded before with some complex carbs and then used a carb-loaded powder during and in between legs.
          I went with the red vines and Swedish fish option. But I did eat some beef jerky and bananas and drank a lot of water.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            [ATTACH]6424[/ATTACH]

Do you have the legs to pull these shoes off?
            Easy.

Though there will be a little more hair involved.

Where do I get a pair?

Comment

I'm going under the knife on the 24th. Same procedure. However, the doc was saying 3-4 months for a full recovery. Now I have to rearrange some things at work.
              I'm curious how the surgery went. Mine is coming up this week.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I'm curious how the surgery went. Mine is coming up this week.
                Went under the knife on Tuesday. I was still pretty out of it when he came and talked to me afterwards, so I'm piecing some of this together on the testimony of Mrs. Diddley. On top of doing the IT release, he asked if I would be ok with doing a scope of the knee since I've never had that or an MRI done. So we ended up with both of those procedures.

As far as I know, the IT release was successful. He said the meniscus was torn, so I think he did some clean-up inside the knee. I have to stay on crutches until I see him on Thursday. I've got tons of pain meds but don't need them. I was finally able to take off all the bandages today. I've got a 1.5 inch or so incision on the right side of the knee, and another three small cuts for the scope. He said full recovery would be four months.

When I changed after church today, my knee and surrounding area was fat--water weight. Maybe I'm vain, but I don't want to ever look like that again. I'm looking forward to the physical therapy. I plan to be fully recovered well ahead of schedule.

Comment

Went under the knife on Tuesday. I was still pretty out of it when he came and talked to me afterwards, so I'm piecing some of this together on the testimony of Mrs. Diddley. On top of doing the IT release, he asked if I would be ok with doing a scope of the knee since I've never had that or an MRI done. So we ended up with both of those procedures.

As far as I know, the IT release was successful. He said the meniscus was torn, so I think he did some clean-up inside the knee. I have to stay on crutches until I see him on Thursday. I've got tons of pain meds but don't need them. I was finally able to take off all the bandages today. I've got a 1.5 inch or so incision on the right side of the knee, and another three small cuts for the scope. He said full recovery would be four months.

When I changed after church today, my knee and surrounding area was fat--water weight. Maybe I'm vain, but I don't want to ever look like that again. I'm looking forward to the physical therapy. I plan to be fully recovered well ahead of schedule.
                  Thanks for the update.

So did they do the IT release at the knee? I've seen/heard of it being there or at the hip. My doc will do it nearer the hip at the greater tronchantor bursa.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Yes, at the knee. I was doing a little reading online and found the hip stuff too. I guess since all my pain was at the knee, that's where they wanted to get at it.

Comment

• ch1_image_007.jpg

Comment

• So how did your surgery go? My doctor made me use crutches until he saw me this morning. I'll be starting physical therapy next week. He told me the real danger is not to overdo it. He said people start to feel good and then push it too hard too early.

Comment

So how did your surgery go? My doctor made me use crutches until he saw me this morning. I'll be starting physical therapy next week. He told me the real danger is not to overdo it. He said people start to feel good and then push it too hard too early.
                          As far as I know the surgery went well. My doc said he cut a 10cm line in the It band and then cut out a bit more on the sides. In all, the surgery took maybe 1 hour 30 mins, but I really don't know since the anesthesia really did a number on me. I've been sleeping off and on since I got home. I'm taking narcotics for the pain and with that comes the nausea and drowsiness. I tried getting some work done today but I struggle to concentrate because of the pain meds. Tomorrow I can take the dressing off of my hip and maybe then begin to use the prescription patch stuff the pharmacy gave me, which is supposed to not be so difficult on my stomach and head.

I can walk without crutches but it cuases some pain to do so so I'm using crutches pretty much anytime I get up. But I'm completely mobile. I have a follow up appt in about 10 days and if that goes well I should be starting some light running about a week after that appt.

Comment

As far as I know the surgery went well. My doc said he cut a 10cm line in the It band and then cut out a bit more on the sides. In all, the surgery took maybe 1 hour 30 mins, but I really don't know since the anesthesia really did a number on me. I've been sleeping off and on since I got home. I'm taking narcotics for the pain and with that comes the nausea and drowsiness. I tried getting some work done today but I struggle to concentrate because of the pain meds. Tomorrow I can take the dressing off of my hip and maybe then begin to use the prescription patch stuff the pharmacy gave me, which is supposed to not be so difficult on my stomach and head.

I can walk without crutches but it cuases some pain to do so so I'm using crutches pretty much anytime I get up. But I'm completely mobile. I have a follow up appt in about 10 days and if that goes well I should be starting some light running about a week after that appt.
                            Without the crutches today, I've been moving around without a limp. Climbing stairs isn't too bad, but I definitely feel it going down. It must be a function of our different locations for the surgery, because I can't imagine doing light running in a week. I'm starting to believe my doc when he says four months for a full recovery. I'm planning on pushing it as much as I can.

Comment

• Every day my knee feels a little better. Did physical therapy for the first time today. Did some light exercises and stretching. He's optimistic that I'll be ready for my Army school in February. I feel like I could do some light running right now.

Comment

• U.S. Olympic Trials for the marathon right now. A guy from Provo is currently in 4th place. The top 2 women are crushing the field. It's hot but a great race so far. I miss niku!
                                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...
                                X