No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nikuman, what's the distinction between "Avg Pace" and "Avg Moving Pace" in the timing section of Garmin Connect?

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      garminconnect. Which brings us to your next purchase--a Forerunner.
      I've seen these and have wondered if they are better than my iPhone. I know the Garmin has a heartrate monitor, which would be nice but is it worth the price for that alone. I'm assuming that the GPS in the iPhone is decent enough, at least it works for me right now.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
        nikuman, what's the distinction between "Avg Pace" and "Avg Moving Pace" in the timing section of Garmin Connect?
        Avg moving pace removes the time I spend at stoplights and such.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
          I've seen these and have wondered if they are better than my iPhone. I know the Garmin has a heartrate monitor, which would be nice but is it worth the price for that alone. I'm assuming that the GPS in the iPhone is decent enough, at least it works for me right now.
          The gps in the iPhone is about .03 mile per mile off as compared to my garmin.

If I could only choose one (I run with both) it would be the garmin hands down. More precise and much better data, even ignoring the hr monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
            My wife usually runs from our place at the mouth of Parley's canyon to the mouth of little cottonwood canyon and back and ends up around 20 miles.

In Lehi, if you'r OK doing some hills you could run over Traverse Mountain and up towards the canyons and back
            The Jordan River Parkway Trail can be picked up over by the Thanksgiving Pointe golf course. It's a nice trail and you can follow it from there all the way to Utah Lake.

I am pretty sure that if you picked it up at the golf course, and went to Utah Lake and back, you would be fairly close to 20 miles round trip.
            "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

I know this is too far north, but the Legacy Parkway has a running/bike trial that runs from Farmington to Bountiful running along side it. When the birds are here it can be a nice run

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

i'm sure there's a thread for this somewhere, but in the spirit of all things runnings, i'll ask here. i'm looking to get my fat butt into a pair of good starter running shoes. i have very wide feet, high arches, and tend to run with moderate to severe overpronation. because of this, i'm likely looking for something with cushioned with some motion/stability control.

shoes i've looked at:

brooks adrenaline gts 11
                nike air pegasus 27
                brooks glycerin 8
                lunar glide

i'll likely go with brooks so i can get the right width. has anybody worn any of these?
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                  i'm sure there's a thread for this somewhere, but in the spirit of all things runnings, i'll ask here. i'm looking to get my fat butt into a pair of good starter running shoes. i have very wide feet, high arches, and tend to run with moderate to severe overpronation. because of this, i'm likely looking for something with cushioned with some motion/stability control.

shoes i've looked at:

brooks adrenaline gts 11
                  nike air pegasus 27
                  brooks glycerin 8
                  lunar glide

i'll likely go with brooks so i can get the right width. has anybody worn any of these?
                  Honestly, the best thing you can do is go to a specialty running store in your area and get fitted. It is more expensive but worth it the first time. Different people react differently to different brands. I can't stand Brooks, for example, but that does not mean that they make bad shoes. Just don't work well with me. And I love Saucony and Asics, but I know plenty of good runners that hate those brands.

Most of us agree that Nike shoes, on the whole, aren't the best (I own some lunar glides, and while they are fine for shorter distances, they feel "flat" after about six miles).

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                    Honestly, the best thing you can do is go to a specialty running store in your area and get fitted. It is more expensive but worth it the first time. Different people react differently to different brands. I can't stand Brooks, for example, but that does not mean that they make bad shoes. Just don't work well with me. And I love Saucony and Asics, but I know plenty of good runners that hate those brands.

Most of us agree that Nike shoes, on the whole, aren't the best (I own some lunar glides, and while they are fine for shorter distances, they feel "flat" after about six miles).
                    This.

I have used Nike(no thanks), mizuno alchemy(misdiagnosed as a strong over pronater. I constantly tripped on the outside sole), asics cumulus 12's and Brooks ghost 3s. I currently alternate between a pair of ghosts and cumulus as I equally love both pairs.

Comment

coach, do you have any recommendations for local shops?
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                        coach, do you have any recommendations for local shops?
                        Runners corner (state and 800 south in Orem) or 26.2 (bulldog and state in the Macy's big lots parking lot at the bottom of the hill that drops you into Provo on state). Both are good, although I prefer the staff and selection at RC.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                          This.

I have used Nike(no thanks), mizuno alchemy(misdiagnosed as a strong over pronater. I constantly tripped on the outside sole), asics cumulus 12's and Brooks ghost 3s. I currently alternate between a pair of ghosts and cumulus as I equally love both pairs.
                          I have heard good things about the ghosts.

I just retired a pair of Saucony Ride 2s. My other pair are Asics Gel Landreths, which are okay, although I do prefer the lunar glides for short distances.

And I'm getting a pair of VFFs for Xmas, as I said before.

Comment

I was able to get out for almost 14 miles this morning. I felt really good for about 13 of them leading up to the least 1/2 mile hill that took me back to my car. Overall pace was just under 8:30 per mile, and I was fairly consistent throughout. So I was feeling pretty good about today.

One side note, at some point during my run I was listening to a "This American Life" podcast on Poultry (don't knock it til you try it). As they were discussing the phenomenon of chickens having all of their feathers plucked off during a tornado, in the background was playing a nice upbeat polka song. Never have I had a song carry me along and put a skip in my step quite like that one did. If anyone happens to know the name of the tune, I would appreciate hearing about it so I can add it to my playlist. And, no, it wasn't the chicken dance song.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I hate treadmills

A couple weeks ago I ran on a treadmill for the first time in over 6 years. I've never liked treadmills and now I hate them. After doing 3 miles on the treadmill I noticed my ankle was bleeding. I was so constantly worried about hitting the edge of the running surface that I ran way too much toward the middle, meaning that my right shoe kept hitting my left ankle. The result was a bleeding sore on my left ankle.

Ever since that treadmill my left ankle hurts whenever I knick it while running (which happens maybe 4 or 5 times on a run). So last night it happened 4 or 5 times. When I got into my house I noticed the damage that was done. Looks like I might need to bandage it up before I go running next time until it fully heals.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Quick-hit running musings of the day:

- I love running at night during the holidays. Great Christmas lights in my area.

- Signed up for the 2011 NYC marathon lottery today. Also planning on doing the same for St George. Hopefully I don't draw for both.

- On my twenty miler on Saturday, I ran out of water at mile 12 and was worried until I found an unopened bottle of spring water - a full liter - sitting in the road. Nice. Still lost 10 pounds on that run though.

- I need to lose another 20 pounds to be really fast. New years resolution!

- saturday the built in undies in my shorts started chafing at mile 10. By the end I had blood. Time to retire those shorts.

- I take back what I said about Nike shoes. I actually like my lunar glides enough to get another pair.

- being sick didn't sap me of too much speed. Last night did 4.40 miles. Last 5k in just over 23 mins. Last half mile in 3:15. Happy with that speed

- latest balls-to-the-wall songs: Madhouse (anthrax), Fear of the Dark (Iron Maiden) and Free Bird (lynyrd skynyrd).

Comment

Working...
                                X