No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my referral to physical therapy today. One of the men's sprinters at BYU works in the office, and was massaging the IT Band. He was shocked at how tight it was. I see the surgeon in 10 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      He was shocked at how tight it was.
      #TWSS
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

My IT band on the right side seems to be doing pretty good. I just went 22 miles riding my bike to work at Camp Williams. The left IT band just flared up, so I fear I will be in for another year and a half of treatment before getting back to 100%. I am going to see a surgeon, so hopefully he can write it up in such a way that my insurance will cover surgery right off the bat.
        Surgery in two weeks.

Comment

Surgery in two weeks.

I'm running 3 miles twice a week without any big issues. Im nervous going longer than that but I'm going to take it slow and see if I can get up to 6 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I'm running 3 miles twice a week without any big issues. Im nervous going longer than that but I'm going to take it slow and see if I can get up to 6 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I just saw that Tricare approved my surgery for next Wednesday. The surgeon will be doing a release on the IT Band, and cleaning up the meniscus at the same time.

I think I'm going to dial back the miles of running I put in going forward, and try to do most of my cardio in low impact training like cycling, elliptical, and rowing machines. Heavy on the cycling though.

Comment

• In the bicycling thread I read about people breaking their faces and crushing their bones. In this thread I read about people getting all sorts of operations. I think I will just give up and sit on my couch more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                In the bicycling thread I read about people breaking their faces and crushing their bones. In this thread I read about people getting all sorts of operations. I think I will just give up and sit on my couch more.
                Just in time for football season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                  In the bicycling thread I read about people breaking their faces and crushing their bones. In this thread I read about people getting all sorts of operations. I think I will just give up and sit on my couch more.
                  I mean there's cycling, and then there's PAC. He's a thrill seeking cynky (cyling junky).

Comment

• And yeah I went from running zero to more than 12 miles a week, which is not a great idea. I tend to be quite binary like that with a lot of things.

Comment

• Originally posted by comprar View Post
                      And yeah I went from running zero to more than 12 miles a week, which is not a great idea. I tend to be quite binary like that with a lot of things.
                      You should know that no one on this board exhibits this trait, especially in thinking.
                      Last edited by Bo Diddley; 10-31-2016, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by comprar View Post
                        And yeah I went from running zero to more than 12 miles a week, which is not a great idea. I tend to be quite binary like that with a lot of things.
                        So, from 0000 to 1100 miles?
                        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• I'm sure that I've mentioned that Ryan and Sara Hall moved to our town about 5 years ago. About a year and a half ago they adopted 4 girls from Ethiopia, who are currently between 8 and 15 years old. They are very sweet girls and have done really well with acclimating to US culture. The Halls are great parents by all accounts.

Over the last year they have become more and more involved in the local running community. Sara frequently does local fun runs, either using them as her planned workouts or running with her girls. This season Ryan functioned as assistant cross country coach for his oldest daughter's high school team. In doing so, he coached one of my good friend's son to a 5th place finish at the state XC meet.

A couple of weeks ago they announced a new project that they are undertaking along with a high school track coach - The Redding Distance Project, a local running team designed to get area kids involved in running and to help create a positive running culture in the area. Kids from grades 3-12 are invited to participate.

My 16 year old son went to the first meeting yesterday. Ryan basically ran the program on day one. Once they finished the orientation talk, Ryan took the high school kids, the high school coach took the junior high kids, and Sara took the rest.

They are going to meet twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays. Mondays are for form and speedwork, Thursdays are for strength work, at least during this time of year.

Yesterday, after a warm-up, he focused on having them run 100 meter sprints in small groups. He videotaped each one of them. He then pulled them each aside individually and reviewed the video and gave them pointers on their running form. Based on what my son told me, it was excellent feedback, as he gave him 2-3 things to start working on right away. This morning he sent out the workouts for the rest of the week for the high school kids.

I've got to know them a fair bit over the last couple of years. They are incredible people. Very genuine and sincere. Always more than willing to take time to talk to people, young and old. And always willing to pitch in wherever they are needed. Ryan is often seen raking the long jump pit or officiating high jump at the junior high and high school meets, and Sara has run the shot put and discuss on more than one occasion.

I can't say enough good things about the Halls. And what an opportunity for my son and all of his running friends to be a part of this running program. Good people doing good things.

Comment

• That's a cool story about the Halls, bg. I went to their blog and they seem like excellent people. Are the four girls from the same original family? I have immense respect for people who adopt kids from such difficult circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                              I'm sure that I've mentioned that Ryan and Sara Hall moved to our town about 5 years ago. About a year and a half ago they adopted 4 girls from Ethiopia, who are currently between 8 and 15 years old. They are very sweet girls and have done really well with acclimating to US culture. The Halls are great parents by all accounts.

Over the last year they have become more and more involved in the local running community. Sara frequently does local fun runs, either using them as her planned workouts or running with her girls. This season Ryan functioned as assistant cross country coach for his oldest daughter's high school team. In doing so, he coached one of my good friend's son to a 5th place finish at the state XC meet.

A couple of weeks ago they announced a new project that they are undertaking along with a high school track coach - The Redding Distance Project, a local running team designed to get area kids involved in running and to help create a positive running culture in the area. Kids from grades 3-12 are invited to participate.

My 16 year old son went to the first meeting yesterday. Ryan basically ran the program on day one. Once they finished the orientation talk, Ryan took the high school kids, the high school coach took the junior high kids, and Sara took the rest.

They are going to meet twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays. Mondays are for form and speedwork, Thursdays are for strength work, at least during this time of year.

Yesterday, after a warm-up, he focused on having them run 100 meter sprints in small groups. He videotaped each one of them. He then pulled them each aside individually and reviewed the video and gave them pointers on their running form. Based on what my son told me, it was excellent feedback, as he gave him 2-3 things to start working on right away. This morning he sent out the workouts for the rest of the week for the high school kids.

I've got to know them a fair bit over the last couple of years. They are incredible people. Very genuine and sincere. Always more than willing to take time to talk to people, young and old. And always willing to pitch in wherever they are needed. Ryan is often seen raking the long jump pit or officiating high jump at the junior high and high school meets, and Sara has run the shot put and discuss on more than one occasion.

I can't say enough good things about the Halls. And what an opportunity for my son and all of his running friends to be a part of this running program. Good people doing good things.
                              Josh Rohatinksy and his wife work out at my gym (they recently moved, so probably won't any longer). His 8 year old son ran a 20 minute 5k recently at the school race. He has also ran 6 minute miles with his dad. Josh also confronted a 65 year old guy at the gym who he thought was hitting on his wife. It was super awkward, old guys say dumb shit sometimes (See BYU71). That's all I got.
                              *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                                I'm sure that I've mentioned that Ryan and Sara Hall moved to our town about 5 years ago. About a year and a half ago they adopted 4 girls from Ethiopia, who are currently between 8 and 15 years old. They are very sweet girls and have done really well with acclimating to US culture. The Halls are great parents by all accounts.

USA running seems to be enjoying a renaissance and I would put Ryan Hall in the forefront of it. Great opportunity for your son and the kids in that area.

Comment

Working...
                                X