No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallest singlet and shorts I own, period. Calf sleeves depending on the distance. Maybe a sweatshirt for the first quarter mile if it is super cold.
    hi

Comment

• Originally posted by bestellen View Post
      Smallest singlet and shorts I own, period. Calf sleeves depending on the distance. Maybe a sweatshirt for the first quarter mile if it is super cold.
      bestellen is my favorite bot.

Comment

• This seems to be the thread where I document my many maladies. I was just diagnosed with Haglund's Deformity on both feet. This has to do with the Achilles Tendon calcifying and the heel bone having a sharp corner on top instead of a rounded corner for the tendon to rest against. I'll get the left one operated on after our trip to Hawaii in May. Then the right later.

Comment

• Let me add a malady of my own.

It's starting to feel like Jan/Feb is "pulled calf muscle month" for me. I swear - every year I end up pulling my soleus around this time of year. This time it was back in January - and then I didn't let it heal and/or do the rehab exercises quite enough, so I had a repeat (OK, a couple of repeats) in February. Not I've decided rather than any running, I'm all in on recreating the physical therapy exercises they had me do a couple of years ago when this happened.

I think the issue is that all of my races are in the summer and early fall - so it isn't uncommon for me to drop off my training going into October/November. Then when I go to pick up again in January, I'm sure I start with too much too soon. Maybe coming to this realization will help me to either a) keep training through the fall or b) start slower NEXT January. As it is, I'm just hoping to get myself in shape for races in June and July this year.

Comment

• In January, I caught that virus that has been floating around this winter. As of this week I can finally finish my walk with out a coughing fit or three

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• My foot has been hurting ever since my vacation in February. Finally went to the doctor today. I have a Jones fracture that is pretty much healed, so I don't even need to be in a boot, but no running for at least a month. This will explain why it hurt so bad when I ran 4 miles a week ago. Didn't hurt as much on Friday, but still it was there.

I think I did it stepping on cobble stone wrong while touring a castle. Oh well, it was worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                This seems to be the thread where I document my many maladies. I was just diagnosed with Haglund's Deformity on both feet. This has to do with the Achilles Tendon calcifying and the heel bone having a sharp corner on top instead of a rounded corner for the tendon to rest against. I'll get the left one operated on after our trip to Hawaii in May. Then the right later.
                Surgery tomorrow on the left foot. Is this what middle age is all about?

Comment

• This is probably "famous last words", but my calf is feeling pretty good. Went 5 miles this morning, then did some heel lifts on the stairs after - I think I'm supposed to do that daily, but I'm probably consistent at 4 times a week.

My usual MO is to gear up and get the miles in starting in January, pull my calf, work through rehabbing it, and be in good enough shape to finish Spudman. Then I cut back on running into the fall. Start from scratch again in January, and pull my calf. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

This year I'm doing a little more running - getting ready for a half marathon instead of just a 10K - and I've decided that once the summer race days are past, I'm going to keep running through the winter at least 2-3 times a week and see if I can keep from pulling it in January this year.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

• I've been seriously walking for 12-15 yrs now and I am still amazed at just how much I loose over the winter when I don't climb the hill to US-89. I went up Mutton Hollow to 89 Saturday for the first time this spring and the dogs and I just about died

It's a climb of about 400 ft in a 1 1/4 miles straight up - it took me 35 minutes, but by July I'll have it down to 18 or so.
                    Last edited by happyone; 05-21-2018, 04:00 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                      I've been seriously walking for 12-15 yrs now and I am still amazed at just how much I loose over the winter when I don't climb the hill to US-89. I went up Mutton Hallow to 89 Saturday and the dogs and I just about died

It's a climb of about 400 ft in a 1 1/4 miles straight up - it took me 35 minutes, but by July I'll have it down to 18 or so.
                      It goes quick. For me, it seems to come back quicker, perhaps because I'm not nearly as fast as I used to be, so there's less of a gap to overcome. BTW, got my knee scooter in the mail today, so maybe I'll go for a walk as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        Surgery tomorrow on the left foot. Is this what middle age is all about?
                        I just saw this. How did it go? I have the same problem, and I've been holding off surgery for awhile now.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          I just saw this. How did it go? I have the same problem, and I've been holding off surgery for awhile now.
                          So far so good. I've had minimal pain since the surgery, but being laid up is a pain. I'll know better over the next several weeks how fast the recovery goes. I'll turn around and do the right foot just as soon as I can.

Comment

• My daughter was able to attend the first year of a local running camp.

Here is a great write-up about it: https://ultrarunning.com/featured/de...s-are-alright/

She gets referenced in the article

During the final undulating trail run of a resoundingly successful four days, I found myself working hard to keep pace with two of Bishop High’s female athletes. I already knew them both, marginally, but now saw them through the eyes of my past. The natural ability was obvious. But innate talent is limited in its utility at best, and useless at worst, without the other ingredients I now chased around Convict Lake: drive, determination, motivation and, most importantly of all, a love for the “sport” of running.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              My daughter was able to attend the first year of a local running camp.

Here is a great write-up about it: https://ultrarunning.com/featured/de...s-are-alright/

She gets referenced in the article
                              Cool.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Very cool, BP!

Comment

Working...
                                X