Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 1987

Thread: The Official Thread for Runners

  1. #1951

    Default

    Finally got my referral to physical therapy today. One of the men's sprinters at BYU works in the office, and was massaging the IT Band. He was shocked at how tight it was. I see the surgeon in 10 days.

  2. #1952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    He was shocked at how tight it was.
    #TWSS
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  3. #1953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    My IT band on the right side seems to be doing pretty good. I just went 22 miles riding my bike to work at Camp Williams. The left IT band just flared up, so I fear I will be in for another year and a half of treatment before getting back to 100%. I am going to see a surgeon, so hopefully he can write it up in such a way that my insurance will cover surgery right off the bat.
    Surgery in two weeks.

  4. #1954
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Surgery in two weeks.


    I'm running 3 miles twice a week without any big issues. Im nervous going longer than that but I'm going to take it slow and see if I can get up to 6 miles.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  5. #1955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post


    I'm running 3 miles twice a week without any big issues. Im nervous going longer than that but I'm going to take it slow and see if I can get up to 6 miles.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just saw that Tricare approved my surgery for next Wednesday. The surgeon will be doing a release on the IT Band, and cleaning up the meniscus at the same time.

    I think I'm going to dial back the miles of running I put in going forward, and try to do most of my cardio in low impact training like cycling, elliptical, and rowing machines. Heavy on the cycling though.

  6. #1956
    Senior Member Clark Addison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Beautiful South
    Posts
    7,175

    Default

    In the bicycling thread I read about people breaking their faces and crushing their bones. In this thread I read about people getting all sorts of operations. I think I will just give up and sit on my couch more.

  7. #1957
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    In the bicycling thread I read about people breaking their faces and crushing their bones. In this thread I read about people getting all sorts of operations. I think I will just give up and sit on my couch more.
    Just in time for football season.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  8. #1958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    In the bicycling thread I read about people breaking their faces and crushing their bones. In this thread I read about people getting all sorts of operations. I think I will just give up and sit on my couch more.
    I mean there's cycling, and then there's PAC. He's a thrill seeking cynky (cyling junky).

  9. #1959

    Default

    And yeah I went from running zero to more than 12 miles a week, which is not a great idea. I tend to be quite binary like that with a lot of things.

  10. #1960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by comprar View Post
    And yeah I went from running zero to more than 12 miles a week, which is not a great idea. I tend to be quite binary like that with a lot of things.
    You should know that no one on this board exhibits this trait, especially in thinking.
    Last edited by Bo Diddley; 10-31-2016 at 07:38 AM.

  11. #1961
    Senior Member lambdacoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Posts
    3,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by comprar View Post
    And yeah I went from running zero to more than 12 miles a week, which is not a great idea. I tend to be quite binary like that with a lot of things.
    So, from 0000 to 1100 miles?
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

    Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

  12. #1962

    Default

    I'm sure that I've mentioned that Ryan and Sara Hall moved to our town about 5 years ago. About a year and a half ago they adopted 4 girls from Ethiopia, who are currently between 8 and 15 years old. They are very sweet girls and have done really well with acclimating to US culture. The Halls are great parents by all accounts.

    Over the last year they have become more and more involved in the local running community. Sara frequently does local fun runs, either using them as her planned workouts or running with her girls. This season Ryan functioned as assistant cross country coach for his oldest daughter's high school team. In doing so, he coached one of my good friend's son to a 5th place finish at the state XC meet.

    A couple of weeks ago they announced a new project that they are undertaking along with a high school track coach - The Redding Distance Project, a local running team designed to get area kids involved in running and to help create a positive running culture in the area. Kids from grades 3-12 are invited to participate.

    My 16 year old son went to the first meeting yesterday. Ryan basically ran the program on day one. Once they finished the orientation talk, Ryan took the high school kids, the high school coach took the junior high kids, and Sara took the rest.

    They are going to meet twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays. Mondays are for form and speedwork, Thursdays are for strength work, at least during this time of year.

    Yesterday, after a warm-up, he focused on having them run 100 meter sprints in small groups. He videotaped each one of them. He then pulled them each aside individually and reviewed the video and gave them pointers on their running form. Based on what my son told me, it was excellent feedback, as he gave him 2-3 things to start working on right away. This morning he sent out the workouts for the rest of the week for the high school kids.

    I've got to know them a fair bit over the last couple of years. They are incredible people. Very genuine and sincere. Always more than willing to take time to talk to people, young and old. And always willing to pitch in wherever they are needed. Ryan is often seen raking the long jump pit or officiating high jump at the junior high and high school meets, and Sara has run the shot put and discuss on more than one occasion.

    I can't say enough good things about the Halls. And what an opportunity for my son and all of his running friends to be a part of this running program. Good people doing good things.

  13. #1963
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,868

    Default

    That's a cool story about the Halls, bg. I went to their blog and they seem like excellent people. Are the four girls from the same original family? I have immense respect for people who adopt kids from such difficult circumstances.

  14. #1964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    I'm sure that I've mentioned that Ryan and Sara Hall moved to our town about 5 years ago. About a year and a half ago they adopted 4 girls from Ethiopia, who are currently between 8 and 15 years old. They are very sweet girls and have done really well with acclimating to US culture. The Halls are great parents by all accounts.

    Over the last year they have become more and more involved in the local running community. Sara frequently does local fun runs, either using them as her planned workouts or running with her girls. This season Ryan functioned as assistant cross country coach for his oldest daughter's high school team. In doing so, he coached one of my good friend's son to a 5th place finish at the state XC meet.

    A couple of weeks ago they announced a new project that they are undertaking along with a high school track coach - The Redding Distance Project, a local running team designed to get area kids involved in running and to help create a positive running culture in the area. Kids from grades 3-12 are invited to participate.

    My 16 year old son went to the first meeting yesterday. Ryan basically ran the program on day one. Once they finished the orientation talk, Ryan took the high school kids, the high school coach took the junior high kids, and Sara took the rest.

    They are going to meet twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays. Mondays are for form and speedwork, Thursdays are for strength work, at least during this time of year.

    Yesterday, after a warm-up, he focused on having them run 100 meter sprints in small groups. He videotaped each one of them. He then pulled them each aside individually and reviewed the video and gave them pointers on their running form. Based on what my son told me, it was excellent feedback, as he gave him 2-3 things to start working on right away. This morning he sent out the workouts for the rest of the week for the high school kids.

    I've got to know them a fair bit over the last couple of years. They are incredible people. Very genuine and sincere. Always more than willing to take time to talk to people, young and old. And always willing to pitch in wherever they are needed. Ryan is often seen raking the long jump pit or officiating high jump at the junior high and high school meets, and Sara has run the shot put and discuss on more than one occasion.

    I can't say enough good things about the Halls. And what an opportunity for my son and all of his running friends to be a part of this running program. Good people doing good things.
    Josh Rohatinksy and his wife work out at my gym (they recently moved, so probably won't any longer). His 8 year old son ran a 20 minute 5k recently at the school race. He has also ran 6 minute miles with his dad. Josh also confronted a 65 year old guy at the gym who he thought was hitting on his wife. It was super awkward, old guys say dumb shit sometimes (See BYU71). That's all I got.
    *Banned*

  15. #1965
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    I'm sure that I've mentioned that Ryan and Sara Hall moved to our town about 5 years ago. About a year and a half ago they adopted 4 girls from Ethiopia, who are currently between 8 and 15 years old. They are very sweet girls and have done really well with acclimating to US culture. The Halls are great parents by all accounts.

    Over the last year they have become more and more involved in the local running community. Sara frequently does local fun runs, either using them as her planned workouts or running with her girls. This season Ryan functioned as assistant cross country coach for his oldest daughter's high school team. In doing so, he coached one of my good friend's son to a 5th place finish at the state XC meet.

    A couple of weeks ago they announced a new project that they are undertaking along with a high school track coach - The Redding Distance Project, a local running team designed to get area kids involved in running and to help create a positive running culture in the area. Kids from grades 3-12 are invited to participate.

    My 16 year old son went to the first meeting yesterday. Ryan basically ran the program on day one. Once they finished the orientation talk, Ryan took the high school kids, the high school coach took the junior high kids, and Sara took the rest.

    They are going to meet twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays. Mondays are for form and speedwork, Thursdays are for strength work, at least during this time of year.

    Yesterday, after a warm-up, he focused on having them run 100 meter sprints in small groups. He videotaped each one of them. He then pulled them each aside individually and reviewed the video and gave them pointers on their running form. Based on what my son told me, it was excellent feedback, as he gave him 2-3 things to start working on right away. This morning he sent out the workouts for the rest of the week for the high school kids.

    I've got to know them a fair bit over the last couple of years. They are incredible people. Very genuine and sincere. Always more than willing to take time to talk to people, young and old. And always willing to pitch in wherever they are needed. Ryan is often seen raking the long jump pit or officiating high jump at the junior high and high school meets, and Sara has run the shot put and discuss on more than one occasion.

    I can't say enough good things about the Halls. And what an opportunity for my son and all of his running friends to be a part of this running program. Good people doing good things.
    USA running seems to be enjoying a renaissance and I would put Ryan Hall in the forefront of it. Great opportunity for your son and the kids in that area.

  16. #1966

    Default

    Smallest singlet and shorts I own, period. Calf sleeves depending on the distance. Maybe a sweatshirt for the first quarter mile if it is super cold.

  17. #1967
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bestellen View Post
    Smallest singlet and shorts I own, period. Calf sleeves depending on the distance. Maybe a sweatshirt for the first quarter mile if it is super cold.
    bestellen is my favorite bot.

  18. #1968

    Default

    This seems to be the thread where I document my many maladies. I was just diagnosed with Haglund's Deformity on both feet. This has to do with the Achilles Tendon calcifying and the heel bone having a sharp corner on top instead of a rounded corner for the tendon to rest against. I'll get the left one operated on after our trip to Hawaii in May. Then the right later.

  19. #1969
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    6,123

    Default

    Let me add a malady of my own.

    It's starting to feel like Jan/Feb is "pulled calf muscle month" for me. I swear - every year I end up pulling my soleus around this time of year. This time it was back in January - and then I didn't let it heal and/or do the rehab exercises quite enough, so I had a repeat (OK, a couple of repeats) in February. Not I've decided rather than any running, I'm all in on recreating the physical therapy exercises they had me do a couple of years ago when this happened.

    I think the issue is that all of my races are in the summer and early fall - so it isn't uncommon for me to drop off my training going into October/November. Then when I go to pick up again in January, I'm sure I start with too much too soon. Maybe coming to this realization will help me to either a) keep training through the fall or b) start slower NEXT January. As it is, I'm just hoping to get myself in shape for races in June and July this year.

  20. #1970
    Board Bookworm happyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Davis County
    Posts
    4,504

    Default

    In January, I caught that virus that has been floating around this winter. As of this week I can finally finish my walk with out a coughing fit or three

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

  21. #1971
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,399

    Default

    My foot has been hurting ever since my vacation in February. Finally went to the doctor today. I have a Jones fracture that is pretty much healed, so I don't even need to be in a boot, but no running for at least a month. This will explain why it hurt so bad when I ran 4 miles a week ago. Didn't hurt as much on Friday, but still it was there.

    I think I did it stepping on cobble stone wrong while touring a castle. Oh well, it was worth it.

  22. #1972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    This seems to be the thread where I document my many maladies. I was just diagnosed with Haglund's Deformity on both feet. This has to do with the Achilles Tendon calcifying and the heel bone having a sharp corner on top instead of a rounded corner for the tendon to rest against. I'll get the left one operated on after our trip to Hawaii in May. Then the right later.
    Surgery tomorrow on the left foot. Is this what middle age is all about?

  23. #1973
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    6,123

    Default

    This is probably "famous last words", but my calf is feeling pretty good. Went 5 miles this morning, then did some heel lifts on the stairs after - I think I'm supposed to do that daily, but I'm probably consistent at 4 times a week.

    My usual MO is to gear up and get the miles in starting in January, pull my calf, work through rehabbing it, and be in good enough shape to finish Spudman. Then I cut back on running into the fall. Start from scratch again in January, and pull my calf. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

    This year I'm doing a little more running - getting ready for a half marathon instead of just a 10K - and I've decided that once the summer race days are past, I'm going to keep running through the winter at least 2-3 times a week and see if I can keep from pulling it in January this year.

    I'll let you know how it turns out.

  24. #1974
    Board Bookworm happyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Davis County
    Posts
    4,504

    Default

    I've been seriously walking for 12-15 yrs now and I am still amazed at just how much I loose over the winter when I don't climb the hill to US-89. I went up Mutton Hollow to 89 Saturday for the first time this spring and the dogs and I just about died

    It's a climb of about 400 ft in a 1 1/4 miles straight up - it took me 35 minutes, but by July I'll have it down to 18 or so.
    Last edited by happyone; 05-21-2018 at 04:00 PM.

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

  25. #1975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    I've been seriously walking for 12-15 yrs now and I am still amazed at just how much I loose over the winter when I don't climb the hill to US-89. I went up Mutton Hallow to 89 Saturday and the dogs and I just about died

    It's a climb of about 400 ft in a 1 1/4 miles straight up - it took me 35 minutes, but by July I'll have it down to 18 or so.
    It goes quick. For me, it seems to come back quicker, perhaps because I'm not nearly as fast as I used to be, so there's less of a gap to overcome. BTW, got my knee scooter in the mail today, so maybe I'll go for a walk as well.

  26. #1976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Surgery tomorrow on the left foot. Is this what middle age is all about?
    I just saw this. How did it go? I have the same problem, and I've been holding off surgery for awhile now.

  27. #1977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I just saw this. How did it go? I have the same problem, and I've been holding off surgery for awhile now.
    So far so good. I've had minimal pain since the surgery, but being laid up is a pain. I'll know better over the next several weeks how fast the recovery goes. I'll turn around and do the right foot just as soon as I can.

  28. #1978
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,399

    Default

    My daughter was able to attend the first year of a local running camp.

    Here is a great write-up about it: https://ultrarunning.com/featured/de...s-are-alright/

    She gets referenced in the article

    During the final undulating trail run of a resoundingly successful four days, I found myself working hard to keep pace with two of Bishop High’s female athletes. I already knew them both, marginally, but now saw them through the eyes of my past. The natural ability was obvious. But innate talent is limited in its utility at best, and useless at worst, without the other ingredients I now chased around Convict Lake: drive, determination, motivation and, most importantly of all, a love for the “sport” of running.

  29. #1979
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    My daughter was able to attend the first year of a local running camp.

    Here is a great write-up about it: https://ultrarunning.com/featured/de...s-are-alright/

    She gets referenced in the article
    Cool.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  30. #1980

    Default

    Very cool, BP!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •