Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 79 of 79

Thread: I'm considering braving Black Friday for the 1st time

  1. #61
    Operation Hot Mother Parrot Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southern Part of Heaven
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Reminds me of that old joke by George Carlin:

    "You ever notice how everybody else's stuff is just crap, but all your crap is good stuff? 'Get that crap off the dresser! There's no room for my stuff!'"
    Hey Creek, is that verbatim?
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

  2. #62

    Default

    Walmart is doing their wii deal again tonight. You get the Wii, super mario bros. Wii sports, and Wii sports resort for $199. You then get a $75 gift card to Walmart.

    It starts at 9:00pm tonight and you can also purchase online.
    *Banned*

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Walmart is doing their wii deal again tonight. You get the Wii, super mario bros. Wii sports, and Wii sports resort for $199. You then get a $75 gift card to Walmart.

    It starts at 9:00pm tonight and you can also purchase online.
    Sweet. I bought two on BF, but those only came with a $50 gift card. I already sold one for $185 (and pocketed the gift card), but I'll take my receipt back tomorrow on the other one and get an additional $25 gift card.

    I'm actually tempted to buy another one, because, while supply is high now, I have a feeling that on Christmas Eve, in-store supply will be low, and somebody will be happy to pay $199 for a Wii that Santa can bring the next day. Also, risk is low, because I could always return it and the gift card after Christmas if I find no takers.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  4. #64
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Sweet. I bought two on BF, but those only came with a $50 gift card. I already sold one for $185 (and pocketed the gift card), but I'll take my receipt back tomorrow on the other one and get an additional $25 gift card.

    I'm actually tempted to buy another one, because, while supply is high now, I have a feeling that on Christmas Eve, in-store supply will be low, and somebody will be happy to pay $199 for a Wii that Santa can bring the next day. Also, risk is low, because I could always return it and the gift card after Christmas if I find no takers.
    You probably re-sold David Archuleta tickets for a premium.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    You probably re-sold David Archuleta tickets for a premium.
    Never. But I have been known to sell GC tickets. The Sunday AM session is a tough ticket to find.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  6. #66
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    9,845

    Default

    Every year on the news I’m amazed and horrified at all the trashy people filling up shopping carts of junk at huge “discounts.” Lady on the news just now saying she saved $1000. Uhhh no I think you wasted a whole bunch of money you don’t yet have.

    Is there a surer sign of low class status than the hard core Black Friday shopper maxing out her credit card on this day every year? Yikes.

  7. #67
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    44,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Every year on the news I’m amazed and horrified at all the trashy people filling up shopping carts of junk at huge “discounts.” Lady on the news just now saying she saved $1000. Uhhh no I think you wasted a whole bunch of money you don’t yet have.

    Is there a surer sign of low class status than the hard core Black Friday shopper maxing out her credit card on this day every year? Yikes.
    Agreed. A low IQ tell.
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Agreed. A low IQ tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I've gone every year for the last 8 years. I enjoy it.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  9. #69

    Default

    we went. didn’t buy anything, but the spectacle is worth it
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  10. #70
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    9,845

    Default

    Nothing wrong with buying some stuff today — I got some ski gear on our way up the canyon.

    I’m talking about the people elbowing each other out of the way to fill up shopping carts at Toys R Us.

  11. #71
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    19,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    we went. didn’t buy anything, but the spectacle is worth it
    I just watch the spectacle of twitter from my couch. I love seeing people fight over a plastic widget. There was a video I saw this morning of a middle aged woman ripping a box out of the hands of a kid no older than 5 years old. Unbelievable. Black Friday shoppers are, in general, low class.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  12. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I just watch the spectacle of twitter from my couch. I love seeing people fight over a plastic widget. There was a video I saw this morning of a middle aged woman ripping a box out of the hands of a kid no older than 5 years old. Unbelievable. Black Friday shoppers are, in general, low class.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    agree
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  13. #73

    Default

    Drudge runs the same headline every year, "Season's Beatings." There was a group of a dozen women profiled on the Fox local Salt Lake news who made t-shirts for themselves for their yearly trips to Wal Mart to brawl with Mad Max extras for a $10 mcmuffin maker. They gave each other nicknames, one was simply "lol." The average t shirt size was around xxl.

    That said, Allen Edmonds has a sale on a few of their shoes, from $400 down to $200. In particular the MacNeil and the blucher versions of the Park Ave and Fifth Ave. You can order them online if you don't want to stop by one of their stores.

    I also bought a dishwasher yesterday, replacing my nine year old builder grade GE 100 decibel PoS. It still works, but not well, just like the other nine years of ownership
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  14. #74

    Default

    3 years ago my son convinced me to go to Best Buy's Black Friday sale. He wanted a bluetooth Harman Kardon speaker. It did have pretty good sound. And it was on the crazy sale price of only 150! It was originally 450!!! I couldn't resist either, so I got one for my office.

    Later we looked up the price online to see how high it would go. It was 150. And the next week. And the next year, and now. You can still get it for 150. Black Friday sales are lame.

  15. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    3 years ago my son convinced me to go to Best Buy's Black Friday sale. He wanted a bluetooth Harman Kardon speaker. It did have pretty good sound. And it was on the crazy sale price of only 150! It was originally 450!!! I couldn't resist either, so I got one for my office.

    Later we looked up the price online to see how high it would go. It was 150. And the next week. And the next year, and now. You can still get it for 150. Black Friday sales are lame.
    sounds like your diligence skills are lame
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  16. #76

    Default

    LOL at those Black Friday losers.

  17. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    sounds like your diligence skills are lame
    No you're lame.

  18. #78
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    19,659

    Default

    I've seen some research done on Black Friday and outside of the doorbuster deals, which are decent deals, most of the crap bought on that day will be available at the same price throughout the Holiday season and will likely even be cheaper after Xmas...if any are left. The best time to shop, according to most articles I've read, is actually in Sept/early Oct when stores are trying to clear inventory space or move items in preparation for Black Friday. But I love seeing people fight over crap. I'm a horrible person in that regard...
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  19. #79
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    8,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I'm a horrible person
    fify

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •