Question: I went up from benching 140 to 160 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: I went up from benching 140 to 160 today

so obviously I'm already scary-ripped - but for you weightlifting maniacs, what is the sort of bench press range where a guy goes from looking fit and cut to looking like he is either a professional athlete, or he hangs out in Gold's Gym all the time? (Obviously this will depend on body types, I'm just looking for a ballpark). Like if I progress up to 180 or 200 are my arms going to start looking like I try too hard for a guy who wears glasses most of the time?

Also - at what level am I enough of a benching bad-ass that I should get my own fingerless gloves to wear around the gym?
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
    so obviously I'm already scary-ripped - but for you weightlifting maniacs, what is the sort of bench press range where a guy goes from looking fit and cut to looking like he is either a professional athlete, or he hangs out in Gold's Gym all the time? (Obviously this will depend on body types, I'm just looking for a ballpark). Like if I progress up to 180 or 200 are my arms going to start looking like I try too hard for a guy who wears glasses most of the time?

Also - at what level am I enough of a benching bad-ass that I should get my own fingerless gloves to wear around the gym?
    Uh oh.....

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Uh oh.....

Mortified ... may never post again

Comment

Uh oh.....

I hope it's clear enough that this post is 60% serious question and 40% self-mockery. Should I edit in appropriate smilies?
        Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

I hope it's clear enough that this post is 60% serious question and 40% self-mockery. Should I edit in appropriate smilies?
          If you don't want to get your a** kicked up and down the sidewalk, I would suggest editing, deleting, and never mentioning this thread again.

I would even throw away your laptop and buy a new one, just so that he can't track your IP address.

sigpic

Comment

If you don't want to get your a** kicked up and down the sidewalk, I would suggest editing, deleting, and never mentioning this thread again.

I would even throw away your laptop and buy a new one, just so that he can't track your IP address.
            Who is this "he" you speak of?
            Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

I have really gotten into bodybuilding over the past year. My max bench has gone from probably 120ish to now about 230. I am nowhere near looking muscle bound. I think I would if I progress enough to get to the 300 range and cut body fat a little, which would take me at least another year.

Strength and muscle size don't always correlate but probably do enough to assume it for this discussion.

You'll notice some muscle growth after a few months of lifting, but until you've been doing it more than a couple years or you cut your fat % way down (which makes your muscles look bigger) and walk around with your shirt off, you're not in danger of losing your reputation at the office.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                I have really gotten into bodybuilding over the past year. My max bench has gone from probably 120ish to now about 230. I am nowhere near looking muscle bound. I think I would if I progress enough to get to the 300 range and cut body fat a little, which would take me at least another year.

Strength and muscle size don't always correlate but probably do enough to assume it for this discussion.

You'll notice some muscle growth after a few months of lifting, but until you've been doing it more than a couple years or you cut your fat % way down (which makes your muscles look bigger) and walk around with your shirt off, you're not in danger of losing your reputation at the office.

Thanks for the insight man. I think I won't worry about it then and will aim to get up to 200 and stay about there.
                Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

on days when you work chest, do you do 1 rep @ max bench?

My chest exercises look something like this

inclined bench (dumbell and barbell)
                  flat bench (dumbell and barbell)
                  pec dec
                  cable crossovers
                  dips

I dont do all of those on one day, of course. I try to mix it up.

I can never try a max rep because I go to the gym alone and feel nervous about getting Stafon Johnsoned in the middle of the rep.

I have read that a good rule of thumb is to be able to bench your weight at least once. Is that bad info?

I feel like I have hit a wall working out by myself. It seems that if you lift with someone else, you can lift harder and lift more. Maybe that is purely psychological on my part.

Also, I wear gloves, but it has nothing to do with my body size. I hate getting blisters or calluses.

sigpic

Comment

I have read that a good rule of thumb is to be able to bench your weight at least once. Is that bad info?
                    For like 15-20 reps. That sounds like good info.

Comment

Like DDD says, gloves are cool just for the sake of not having calloused hands.

Other than that, I would sternly advise that you spend at least twice the gym time you spend on chest/arms on lifting legs and back.

Otherwise you will just look like a dude that has big boobs. Not a good look
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                        really? is that for folks that are dedicated weightlifters or people that are trying to start out? 15-20 times seems like a lot but you would know on these things.

I dont think I can do my own body weight 15-20 times. In fact, I am pretty darn sure that I cant do my own body weight 15-20 times. Maybe 5 times if I am lucky. I need to try that.

sigpic

Comment

on days when you work chest, do you do 1 rep @ max bench?

My chest exercises look something like this

inclined bench (dumbell and barbell)
                          flat bench (dumbell and barbell)
                          pec dec
                          cable crossovers
                          dips

I dont do all of those on one day, of course. I try to mix it up.

I can never try a max rep because I go to the gym alone and feel nervous about getting Stafon Johnsoned in the middle of the rep.

I feel like I have hit a wall working out by myself. It seems that if you lift with someone else, you can lift harder and lift more. Maybe that is purely psychological on my part.

Also, I wear gloves, but it has nothing to do with my body size. I hate getting blisters or calluses.
                          I've actually never tested my max bench. I estimate it using this calculator. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/too...alculator.html It's fun to track, but I don't care enough to break up my normal routine to test it. I'm doing this program right now, modified a little, and like it. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...trophy_Routine Pelagius, what do you think of a program like that?

Also, I set up a home gym in my basement and absolutely love working out at home by myself.

Originally posted by pelagius View Post

Comment

really? is that for folks that are dedicated weightlifters or people that are trying to start out? 15-20 times seems like a lot but you would know on these things.

I dont think I can do my own body weight 15-20 times. In fact, I am pretty darn sure that I cant do my own body weight 15-20 times. Maybe 5 times if I am lucky. I need to try that.
                            No-- you were right. You should at least be able to max your body weight and then work your reps w about 65% of that.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Not really ... There are plenty of little heuristics out there. Certainly, the body weight thing is a common one. I am not sure it is a very good one other than it is simple and it would be rare for an untrained person to be able to perform at that level. For adult men within on standard deviation of the mean for both population and height I imagine that most untrained lifters cannot bench their body-weight but the most novice lifters (say 6-12 months of lifting) can get close to their body weight.

Here is a table. I assume it is based on sample averages for different classes of lifters. It is probably a more useful way to think about it then the bodyweight heuristic.

Bench Press - Adult Men
                              http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html
                              Last edited by pelagius; 11-10-2010, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X