Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, ER. Great info.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
      Thanks, ER. Great info.
      No problem. I'm bored waiting for some lab results before I go home, so I'll keep rambling. You're never going to meet the ease of a Traeger with a BGE. There's a learning curve, but like I've said several times, that's part of the fun for me. And the pizza is really really good. But if you want great food at minimal effort, you should get a Traeger.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• I sear steaks, cook pizza at 650 degrees and smoke as low as 180 degrees with my pellet cooker. I want an egg at some point, but only as an enhancement to my BBQ equipment and not a replacement.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• I use a cheap charcoal grill to supplement my Traeger. I use charcoal to grill steaks, veggies, certain types of chicken (teriyaki for example). A nice combo.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            You can get a charcoal grill for less than $50 that will work perfectly for 2-3 summers or longer. No reason to ever use a gas grill.
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I use a cheap charcoal grill to supplement my Traeger. I use charcoal to grill steaks, veggies, certain types of chicken (teriyaki for example). A nice combo.
            basically our leader and I think exactly alike. Sorry for those of you that don't have a special bond with him like I do.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              I can see benefits to the traeger over the egg/akorn, but I don't see any benefit to the wsm over a kamado, especially now that Costco has the cheap ceramic vision.
              What about grill space? IIRC, the XL BGE has about the same amount of grill space as the 18 inch WSM. And weight. Aren't the kamado's (especially the BGE) quite a bit heavier than a WSM?
              Last edited by smokymountainrain; 05-06-2014, 06:42 AM.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                This is what I'm wondering about right now. Is there a temperature controller "eggcessory?" Does it allow you to "set it and forget it" in some manner?
                Please don't use the term "eggcessory" in this thread again, thanks.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Good job! This kind of elitism works great here, now try to be more welcoming in the Costco thread. You're doing great!
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    Good job! This kind of elitism works great here, now try to be more welcoming in the Costco thread. You're doing great!
                    I said please
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      What about grill space? IIRC, the XL BGE has about the same amount of grill space as the 18 inch WSM. And weight. Aren't the kamado's (especially the BGE) quite a bit heavier than a WSM?
                      Yup. Both true.

Hmm...maybe I'll go pick up a wsm. Would be fun to take camping, or to have a second smoker around. And I'd still be into it less than a Traeger.

And you're STILL not smoking! Cmon, pull the trigger. It's time.
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                        Yup. Both true.

Hmm...maybe I'll go pick up a wsm. Would be fun to take camping, or to have a second smoker around. And I'd still be into it less than a Traeger.

And you're STILL not smoking! Cmon, pull the trigger. It's time.
                        I know, it's pathetic.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• I'm amazed at how high-tech you people are with your smokers. My first smoker was an old gas grill. I pulled out the burner, put apple wood on top of charcoal on one side, then replaced the grates and put the meat on the top grate away from the heat. It worked great. Then my mom bought me a cabella's smoker for Christmas, which I used for a year or so before I got my smoke trailer. I've never just set it and walked away, but never really saw the need. Meat only needs to be smoked for a few hours, then if you want to leave and do something else while it finishes cooking you can throw it in the oven on 200. Maybe if I ever used a high-tech smoker I'd have to have one, but for now I'm blissfully ignorant.
                          Last edited by cowboy; 05-06-2014, 07:42 AM.
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                            I'm amazed at how high-tech you people are with your smokers. My first smoker was an old gas grill. I pulled out the burner, put apple wood on top of charcoal on one side, then replaced the grates and put the meat on the top grate away from the heat. It worked great. Then my mom bought me a cabella's smoker for Christmas, which I used for a year or so before I got my smoke trailer. I've never just set it and walked away, but never really saw the need. Meat only needs to be smoked for a few hours, then if you want to leave and do something else while it finishes cooking you can throw it in the oven on 200. Maybe if I ever used a high-tech smoker I'd have have one, but for now I'm blissfully ignorant.
                            Sizzle's manhood just shrunk.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Apparently it is a term known only to the wise.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                                I'm amazed at how high-tech you people are with your smokers. My first smoker was an old gas grill. I pulled out the burner, put apple wood on top of charcoal on one side, then replaced the grates and put the meat on the top grate away from the heat. It worked great. Then my mom bought me a cabella's smoker for Christmas, which I used for a year or so before I got my smoke trailer. I've never just set it and walked away, but never really saw the need. Meat only needs to be smoked for a few hours, then if you want to leave and do something else while it finishes cooking you can throw it in the oven on 200. Maybe if I ever used a high-tech smoker I'd have to have one, but for now I'm blissfully ignorant.
                                I used this for smoking for four years before purchasing a smoker. It did a credible job for ribs and pork loins; however, I tried a few briskets, and the temperature variation never allowed for good results. But, it doubled as a charcoal grill, and it was a great stepping stone.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X