Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
    He said "dream machine", didn't he?
    You could do better than that for 11K though.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
      Like Sweet Triple said, owning and using a smoker does nothing but increase your manhood.
      I've been measuring regularly and still the same size as prior to owning a smoker. Fwiw.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        I've been measuring regularly and still the same size as prior to owning a smoker. Fwiw.
        Too small if you're used to a Texas.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• You guys make me laugh how you ignore the Weber option. It is easy and holds constant temp.

I got a Weber Smokey Mountain because I talked to Traeger guys who were talking about putting bricks in different places to get even temperatures.

It's also time we talk about the 800 pound Gorilla in the room; smoke pellets. Pellets?!? Much less manly than using chunks of trees for the smoke. It's the yuppie version of a smoker. It is the smoker for someone in boat shorts and penny loafers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vic Vega View Post
            You guys make me laugh how you ignore the Weber option. It is easy and holds constant temp.

I got a Weber Smokey Mountain because I talked to Traeger guys who were talking about putting bricks in different places to get even temperatures.

It's also time we talk about the 800 pound Gorilla in the room; smoke pellets. Pellets?!? Much less manly than using chunks of trees for the smoke. It's the yuppie version of a smoker. It is the smoker for someone in boat shorts and penny loafers.

Seriously, the WSM is pretty much set it and forget it for me. It takes about 30 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to stablize the temps and then I rarely have to adjust anything for at least the next 10 hours. Mine will hold between 225 and 250 no problem and if you are concerned about a 20 degree temp swing then you are doing it wrong. When I do pork butts I generally put them on at 11pm the night before and sleep for a sound 8 hours. No bricks and no fancy temp controls. Just briquets, wood and vents. I set an alarm on my temp gauge and it almost never goes off in the middle of the night.

The Traeger is fine and probably makes just as good of food, but it's just an outdoor oven that smokes pellets. You'd be laughed into oblivion in the South if you showed up at a BBQ comp with a Traeger (and probably not allowed to compete with it).
            Last edited by Moliere; 05-04-2014, 06:57 PM.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I'll add that DDD is spot on with gas grills. I gave up gas 8 years ago and only grill over briquets. The natural hardwood briquets are my faves as they burn hotter than normal charcoal and give a better flavor. I also have a grill that I can move the briquets up and down by turning a lever, which allows me to control the direct flame temps. Whenever we go to some Mormon transplants house for a "BBQ" they always make burgers over a gas grill and my kids hate the taste. Of course, they also us store bought patties, which have no flavor, but that's a story for a different thread.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Seriously, the WSM is pretty much set it and forget it for me. It takes about 30 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to stablize the temps and then I rarely have to adjust anything for at least the next 10 hours. Mine will hold between 225 and 250 no problem and if you are concerned about a 20 degree temp swing then you are doing it wrong. When I do pork butts I generally put them on at 11pm the night before and sleep for a sound 8 hours. No bricks and no fancy temp controls. Just briquets, wood and vents. I set an alarm on my temp gauge and it almost never goes off in the middle of the night.

The Traeger is fine and probably makes just as good of food, but it's just an outdoor oven that smokes pellets. You'd be laughed into oblivion in the South if you showed up at a BBQ comp with a Traeger (and probably not allowed to compete with it).
                Man, that hasn't been my experience, but the damn wind blows like a mofo through my new neighborhood, so maybe that's the problem. It's certainly better than the days of using a kettle grill to smoke meat, but I've not been abke to set it and forget it quite yet.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                  Man, that hasn't been my experience, but the damn wind blows like a mofo through my new neighborhood, so maybe that's the problem. It's certainly better than the days of using a kettle grill to smoke meat, but I've not been abke to set it and forget it quite yet.
                  Wind can defiantly be a problem. I make a little makeshift windbreaker around the bottom that seems to do the trick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    I agree with Moliere that wind is a challenge.

I have moved elevation and climate. It's way different here, so I bet this specific solution won't work for you, but if you keep experimenting you will find a steady solution.

I did not shield the smoker, but I dumped an extra 3/4 unlit chimney in and left the vents all the way open with an empty pan. In high elevation and in a cold winter that would get a pork butt done about 1-2 hours later than it would have been in summer.

I am amazed how different it is smoking in the South. I don't have my magic solution for cook times down here yet and it has shown me how art of smoking needs to allow for elevation and climate.

I am looking at building a small shed as an outdoor cooking station. That may provide the kind of shielding Moliere is talking about.

Comment

• You guys with Weber units, how much has your manhood grown?
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Pellet smokers are very much allowed and are very common on the BBQ comp circuit.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• The WSM isn't bad. But for the price, I'd rather have something much more versatile and reliable (holding temps, handles wind better) like a knock off egg. The Akorn can be had for about the same price on sale.

LAU, get a pellet smoker. I love egg style cookers. They're great. But there is a learning curve. The versatility is awesome and I love steaks seared on it with hardwood lump coal. But I think for your use I wouldn't look at anything else but a pellet smoker. It's the best way IMO for someone with little to no smoking experience get into it and consistently have positive results. You can then branch out from there once you understand the principles of smoking and try your hand at a stick burner or egg which require more finesse. I'd guess though you likely won't because of the ease of use and excellent meat you'll be cooking on a pellet smoker.

Aside from Traeger, I'd definitely check out Rec-Tec. I really like their design and the thought they have put into their unit. GreenMountain also.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                            Pellet smokers are very much allowed and are very common on the BBQ comp circuit.
                            I didmt really understand that comment either. Was he suggesting that In the south people show up to comp with a WSM?? And what does comp have to do with anything?

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              The WSM isn't bad. But for the price, I'd rather have something much more versatile and reliable (holding temps, handles wind better) like a knock off egg. The Akorn can be had for about the same price on sale.

LAU, get a pellet smoker. I love egg style cookers. They're great. But there is a learning curve. The versatility is awesome and I love steaks seared on it with hardwood lump coal. But I think for your use I wouldn't look at anything else but a pellet smoker. It's the best way IMO for someone with little to no smoking experience get into it and consistently have positive results. You can then branch out from there once you understand the principles of smoking and try your hand at a stick burner or egg which require more finesse. I'd guess though you likely won't because of the ease of use and excellent meat you'll be cooking on a pellet smoker.

Aside from Traeger, I'd definitely check out Rec-Tec. I really like their design and the thought they have put into their unit. GreenMountain also.
                              bam bam is a fan of the green mountain rig. I agree on rec tec as well. If he is going to do the full due diligence, might as well check out the yoder.

sigpic

Comment

• I <3 this thread. It's so much fun reading the differing viewpoints on each of the various types of cookers, all with legit pros and cons.

I've been putting off getting a smoker for years, come very close several times, but ultimately can't decide what I want and don't pull the trigger. This is the season, I can feel it.

I generally lean toward a WSM because I'd rather cook over a fire and not have to plug in, but the set it and forget it aspect of the Traegers that TD touts starts to look very attractive. Also, a few pages back somebody mentioned some mechanical issues with the Traeger and that made me wary of going that direction. EJ enters the fray and says he pretty much sets and forgets and I'm back to leaning heavily to the WSM. Then Surfah, as he always does in these discussions comes in with the BGE/Akorn talk and muddies the waters even more. IOW, I'm blaming Surfah for the fact that I still don't own a smoker.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X