Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I enjoy using charcoal and wood for BBQ. It's a pain to regulate temperature (which is why I don't do brisket), but it keeps things exciting and gives me something to do.
    I use lump charcoal, and I haven't really had any trouble regulating temperature. What kind of set-up do you have?

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    Nothing wrong with a WSM.
    That's right. Just ask the Slap Yo Daddy crew or our own Moliere!
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• For what the WSM costs, I'd buy the Kamado Kooker/Acorn from Chargriller. You can get one for under $300 and it is easy to dial in for any kind of BBQ. After a few cooks and understanding how to build your fires and set your vents it is almost as set it and forget it as a pellet smoker. Seriously. Plus you get the benefits of super high temps for pizzas and searing meats. I'd buy one of those over a WSM any day of the week. Seriously underrated smoker/grill set up.

Or I'd spend another $150 and get the egg clone from Costco by Vision which comes with all the extra accessories. I noticed Lowes had a Bayou the other day for $699 which isn't bad either given it comes with a stand and side tables. I think DT has one.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        For what the WSM costs, I'd buy the Kamado Kooker/Acorn from Chargriller. You can get one for under $300 and it is easy to dial in for any kind of BBQ. After a few cooks and understanding how to build your fires and set your vents it is almost as set it and forget it as a pellet smoker. Seriously. Plus you get the benefits of super high temps for pizzas and searing meats. I'd buy one of those over a WSM any day of the week. Seriously underrated smoker/grill set up.

Or I'd spend another $150 and get the egg clone from Costco by Vision which comes with all the extra accessories. I noticed Lowes had a Bayou the other day for $699 which isn't bad either given it comes with a stand and side tables. I think DT had one.
        Fixed it for you. I got it for a steal, but I don't think I could recommend it over a Vision or Akorn. I traded it for something non bbq related.

You can fit more food in a WSM, but a grill it is not. Both kamados and wsm's are great cookers and both are used in comps, etc... I think you'd be happy with either.
        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
          Bump. I'm running very low. I could use four bags.

I see ya. I'll set it up when I return from st. George. Monday, I'll get a bag count.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
            I see ya. I'll set it up when I return from st. George. Monday, I'll get a bag count.
            Cool. Thanks. I was going to go searching tomorrow. I'll hold off.
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• So I got tired of the spindly legs on the Traeger with the wind here. So I picked up this cart from Costco and mounted the Traeger to it.

uploadfromtaptalk1365228165606.jpg
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• I am attempting to use my smoker for the first time since our Super Sunday fire. I cleaned everything out really well today, however now it doesn't seem to be lighting anything in the firepot.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  I am attempting to use my smoker for the first time since our Super Sunday fire. I cleaned everything out really well today, however now it doesn't seem to be lighting anything in the firepot.
                  You have to let it cycle through with the auger. It took forever for my dads to reignite after a thorough cleaning
                  I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                    You have to let it cycle through with the auger. It took forever for my dads to reignite after a thorough cleaning
                    Mine too.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      Mine too.
                      Thanks guys, letting it run now. Hopefully it'll start smoking here soon.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

• I tried the reverse sear method with some ribeyes yesterday. They turned out fantastic. It was by far the most tender and moist I've ever gotten steaks, on my traeger. I'm thinking of investing in grill grates, for future endeavors. DT, any opinions on these?

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                          I tried the reverse sear method with some ribeyes yesterday. They turned out fantastic. It was by far the most tender and moist I've ever gotten steaks, on my traeger. I'm thinking of investing in grill grates, for future endeavors. DT, any opinions on these?
                          I think they are awesome! Alot of guys with Traegers use them directly over the fire pot with no deflector.
                          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                            I think they are awesome! Alot of guys with Traegers use them directly over the fire pot with no deflector.
                            Sounds messy.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Sounds messy.
                              No more messy than cooking over charcoal. The high heat fro the flame will burn the grease drippings and since the fire is going full bore, not alot of ash to deal with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                                No more messy than cooking over charcoal. The high heat fro the flame will burn the grease drippings and since the fire is going full bore, not alot of ash to deal with.
                                Charcoal is messy! That is why I toss my charcoal grill every two years or so and buy another one.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X