• What I did

Comment

• When are giving it a test run?
      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
        When are giving it a test run?
        Have a 5.5 pound flat sweating in the fridge. I'll put it on about 6 in the morning.

Comment

• Brought my Texas home today but only had time to put it in the backyard before i had to turn tail and head out on date night. Tomorrow will be the test run....starting simple with some ribs and maybe some chicken. We barely came home from the movies so I didnt really have a chance to check it out much. I'm so excited, I just spent the past few minutes in the backyard petting my new smoker.

I picked up some firebricks this morning on my way to work, so I might as well use Coach's setup and see how it goes. I don't know if there is a benefit or disadvantage to one configuration over another.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            Brought my Texas home today but only had time to put it in the backyard before i had to turn tail and head out on date night. Tomorrow will be the test run....starting simple with some ribs and maybe some chicken. We barely came home from the movies so I didnt really have a chance to check it out much. I'm so excited, I just spent the past few minutes in the backyard petting my new smoker.

I picked up some firebricks this morning on my way to work, so I might as well use Coach's setup and see how it goes. I don't know if there is a benefit or disadvantage to one configuration over another.
            Schwing! What pellets did you get?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              Schwing! What pellets did you get?
              Mesquite, apple, and hickory.

I also picked up some apricot BBQ sauce that Jeff Lebowski recommended.

Going to be a good weekend.

sigpic

Comment

• Went on a 7 this morning,

Using Mesquite on 180˚

Comment

• I am trying to replicate some of the rib recipes I have seen here, looks easy enough.

First official question as a smoker: how long does it take to fire up once you turn it on at the smoke setting?

In other words, when people say, "I started the ribs at the smoke setting for 1.5 hours...." does the 1.5 hours start from when they flip the switch or does the smoker have to "warm up" for awhile?

Also, how long after you flip the switch until you start seeing some smoke?

sigpic

Comment

I am trying to replicate some of the rib recipes I have seen here, looks easy enough.

First official question as a smoker: how long does it take to fire up once you turn it on at the smoke setting?

In other words, when people say, "I started the ribs at the smoke setting for 1.5 hours...." does the 1.5 hours start from when they flip the switch or does the smoker have to "warm up" for awhile?

Also, how long after you flip the switch until you start seeing some smoke?

after the warm up. I usually give the smoker a half hour to let the temps even out.

Have you already done a burn in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                      after the warm up. I usually give the smoker a half hour to let the temps even out.

Have you already done a burn in?
                      Done.

I started it up on smoke setting and within about 2 minutes smoke was pouring out of that metal beast. I put the ribs on right away. I guess I should have waited awhile? Can I leave them in on smoke an extra 20 minutes or so before going to Phase 2 (foil) or will putting them on right away matter all that much?

I plan to foil for 2 hours then finish off for 45 minutes or so with sauce on it.

Which reminds me.....is there a reason (other than convenience) to burn pellets for two hours while meat is foiled? Smoke wont penetrate the foil, correct?

this is the first time since I was a kid that I have enjoyed walking around smelling like a campfire.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        The cheapest price I have seen locally for pellets is High Adventure Sports. $15 per bag.

http://www.highadventureps.com/eshop...ger_Grills.htm

There are a few Ace hardware stores locally, including one in Highland. You could call to see if they honor the web price.
                        Speaking of which, I popped by the local Ace Hardware. They wont honor the internet price but their regular price is $14.99, so not too shabby. Good to have a go-to local supplier at that price.

Has anyone tried the garlic or onion pellets? sounds interesting. the backyard must smell incredible while you are burning garlic or onion pellets for 12 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Which reminds me.....is there a reason (other than convenience) to burn pellets for two hours while meat is foiled? Smoke wont penetrate the foil, correct?

I think that is right, but maybe the experts know better. Good luck! I look forward to every weekend now. I find smoking very relaxing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                            I think that is right, but maybe the experts know better. Good luck! I look forward to every weekend now. I find smoking very relaxing.
                            word
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

The most critical smoke time is the first couple hours. That's when the smoke really penetrates the meat. After 4-5 hours the amount of smoke is really meaningless, or so I've been told and it matches with my experience.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Done.

I started it up on smoke setting and within about 2 minutes smoke was pouring out of that metal beast. I put the ribs on right away. I guess I should have waited awhile? Can I leave them in on smoke an extra 20 minutes or so before going to Phase 2 (foil) or will putting them on right away matter all that much?
                                When you start your smoker you are supposed to open the lid and turn it on to the smoke setting. At this point the heating element in the firepot will get red hot and the auger will start turning pellets into the firepot and the fan will start blowing. After 3-4 minutes a ton of white smoke will start billowing out of the smoker right before the flame starts and then you will notice a slight change in the sound from the blower once the fire starts and then the white smoke will go away. You can then close the lid and change the temp (if necessary) to your target temp. This entire process takes about five minutes. If I were you I would wait until it is done before you put the meat on, unless you really like to smell like smoke (I assume this is the smoke you were talking about).

If I am just smoking I put the meat on right away (after the fire starts!) rather than wait until it hits 180 deg, but it shouldn't take long either way. If I am cooking at a higher temp, I close the lid and wait for it to hit the higher temp, but it never takes more than 15 minutes or so. I don't see any point in waiting after it hits the target temp to put the meat on. I saw a video once by the Traeger guy (as in, the guy that started the company) and he suggests that you let it heat up for 30 minutes before cooking. Seemed like a shameless attempt to sell overpriced pellets to me. I can't think of any reason for doing that.
                                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Just convenience. You could do phase 2 in the oven if you wanted to.

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                this is the first time since I was a kid that I have enjoyed walking around smelling like a campfire.
                                You should post some pics in the ribs thread.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X