Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We rarely do steak (wife does not like it)...
    This makes me very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
      I have used Traeger brand pellets and they are good, but there are better out there. Currently I am usingCookingpellets.com "perfect mix" pellets. BBQ Delight pellets are good as well. Just dont use pellets designed for wood stoves. They need to be food grade.
      So the pellet isn't brand specific? I can use any of the cooking pellets without problems on either machine??
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

$25 shipping for one bag? Ouch.
        Where do you get your pellets in Utah?
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
          Where do you get your pellets in Utah?
          Anywhere that sells Traeger (there are lots of places). I usually go to Bullfrog spas in Orem.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

$25 shipping for one bag? Ouch.
            I got in on a group buy for some Bakersfield guys. I got 3 40lb bagsof perfect mix and 2 40lb bags of hickory pellets for $120 delivered.
            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

So the pellet isn't brand specific? I can use any of the cooking pellets without problems on either machine??
              Nope not brand specific. I really like Traeger brand pecan pellets.
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

I need something that will do well during Utah winters. I need something that will be fairly easy to use. Kind of a set it and forget it type thing for long smokes. Something that is large enough to do a couple of racks of ribs or a turkey. I would like to be able to use it for breads/pizza or use it for a steak at 800 degrees. Is this unrealistic? Could one of you experts please point me in the right direction?
                So, does this mean that your possible relocation we discussed is out?
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  So, does this mean that your possible relocation we discussed is out?
                  No, not at all. I'll take it with me. I'm ordering this for delivery to Utah. My Utah family will use it while I'm here and then I'll take it with me when I relocate. All my stuff is in a storage unit in Utah.

Comment

You wont be dissapointed. There are several people competeing with these and having good results.
                    Pulled the trigger. Should be there late next week. Can't wait.

Comment

:jealous: congrats!

Comment

Pulled the trigger. Should be there late next week. Can't wait.
                        You just spent 2k on a smoker?
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I'm with you, CJF. The whole situation is getting out of control.
                          Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            It is a 3 in 1 cooking machine!

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              The reality of it is, 2K for a nice smoker/grill it is about the going price for a unit of this quality. Yes, it is expensive. Go price out a custom pit. A Klose, Lang, or Spicewine offset will cost you 2-3K for a backyard model. Competition pits can run upwards of 6-10K. A Traeger like the one I bought at Costco retails for 1200 (I paid 799) and its now concidered low end as far as pellet grills go. A Cookshack FEC100 (which is a backyard/competition cooker runs $3600 and is concidered the creme de la creme of pellet smokers) is only a smoker, not a grill. An XL big green egg is about $1000 without any of the accessories. Add a table, tools, a digital temp controller and you could be looking at close to 2k.

The cheapest good quality smoker you can find is a Weber Smokey Montain. They come in an 18.5" and 22" and are $299 and $399 respectively. The Bradley smokers are not a bad choice either and are a good price point, but again, only a smoker. The Bradley's cannot be used in competition BBQ because they use a heating element as the source of the heat and not the wood puck, the puck is only used to add the smoke.

2k is alot to spend, but you are buying quality and it will last years to come.

Comment

The reality of it is, 2K for a nice smoker/grill it is about the going price for a unit of this quality. Yes, it is expensive. Go price out a custom pit. A Klose, Lang, or Spicewine offset will cost you 2-3K for a backyard model. Competition pits can run upwards of 6-10K. A Traeger like the one I bought at Costco retails for 1200 (I paid 799) and its now concidered low end as far as pellet grills go. A Cookshack FEC100 (which is a backyard/competition cooker runs $3600 and is concidered the creme de la creme of pellet smokers) is only a smoker, not a grill. An XL big green egg is about $1000 without any of the accessories. Add a table, tools, a digital temp controller and you could be looking at close to 2k.

The cheapest good quality smoker you can find is a Weber Smokey Montain. They come in an 18.5" and 22" and are $299 and $399 respectively. The Bradley smokers are not a bad choice either and are a good price point, but again, only a smoker. The Bradley's cannot be used in competition BBQ because they use a heating element as the source of the heat and not the wood puck, the puck is only used to add the smoke.

2k is alot to spend, but you are buying quality and it will last years to come.
                                I love the idea of a quick wood flavored grill or a wood burning oven. That is the clincher for me. I'll only get to use it a few weeks at a time for the next little while, but I'll use the heck out of it when I am around it. When I finally buy a grow old in house I want to have a built in for the back yard.

Comment

Working...
                                X