Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.utahbbq.org/showthread.php?tid=3823

The pics of awesome smoked food have inspired me once again to investigate a smoker. I ran across the link above and thought maybe the Traeger Junior might be a good place to get started with a smoker. If I can manage to hold this guy to his $299 then I may pull the trigger.

I realize I would not feed the ward with the Junior but is it big enough to get me started?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      http://www.utahbbq.org/showthread.php?tid=3823

The pics of awesome smoked food have inspired me once again to investigate a smoker. I ran across the link above and thought maybe the Traeger Junior might be a good place to get started with a smoker. If I can manage to hold this guy to his $299 then I may pull the trigger.

I realize I would not feed the ward with the Junior but is it big enough to get me started?
      Get started? Yes. But I predict you will outgrow it very quickly. It is quite small.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Get started? Yes. But I predict you will outgrow it very quickly. It is quite small.
        Thanks. What are some items that I couldn't cook in the Junior? Is it big enough to do a brisket, a rack or two of ribs, or a couple of chickens?

In your opinion is the next step up really the sweet spot?

Comment

Thanks. What are some items that I couldn't cook in the Junior? Is it big enough to do a brisket, a rack or two of ribs, or a couple of chickens?

In your opinion is the next step up really the sweet spot?
          I view the Lil Tex Elite as the entry level model. The Junior is often used as a portable unit for tailgating, etc.

What you are going to find is that you will very quickly be in high demand. We cooked for five families last Sunday (I only showed part of the ribs) and everyone raved about the food. It is fun and quite easy once you have the equipment and a little bit of experience. So your trend will be to cook more food. That Junior unit is just too small.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• The junior is very small. Also, it doesnt come with the digital controller. The lil' tex elite for $649 is a really good price and comes with the digital controller. Pricier yes, but in the long run worth it. Or spend a little more than 299 and get a Weber Smokey Mountain. Not a Traeger, but a great smoker, nonetheless.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-731001-Smokey-Mountain-22-5-Inch/dp/B001I8ZTJA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321637851&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Weber Smokey Mountain Black Cooker Smoker: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-Nd4eZplL.@@AMEPARAM@@41-Nd4eZplL[/ame]
            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Soooo close!

Last night I talked myself into buying a Smokey Joe. Spent today searching the Wasatch Front for one only to strike out.

Spent the last two hours arguing with myself whether I should get a Traeger. Went as far as to call a local deal who stated I can have a Lil' Tex Elite in my hands if I get to the shop by five. Currently trying to talk myself into it.

I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• Well?
                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                  Well?
                  Decided to think about it for the rest of the weekend. I have this crazy notion that smoking a turkey on Thursday would be fun even if I don't know what I'm doing. Most likely I'll go for it on Monday or Tuesday.

Comment

Soooo close!

Last night I talked myself into buying a Smokey Joe. Spent today searching the Wasatch Front for one only to strike out.

Spent the last two hours arguing with myself whether I should get a Traeger. Went as far as to call a local deal who stated I can have a Lil' Tex Elite in my hands if I get to the shop by five. Currently trying to talk myself into it.

I'll keep you posted.

A Smokey Joe? You mean like this?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weber-Smok...-Grill/1146797

Comment

• Oops, I meant Smokey Mountain.

Comment

• The prospect of smoking a turkey this year was too much of a temptation so I'm picking up a Traeger Lil Tex Elite today after work.

I've checked around the net for turkey smoking recipes and there are a bunch. Do any of you have some favorites?

Last night I searched around trying to find a bird that hadn't been injected with brine but couldn't find one so I punted and picked up a twelve pounder. Can I still brine this bird or is it a complete waste of time? What other preparations should I undertake? What type of pellet? Any ideas on cooking time and temp?

Comment

The prospect of smoking a turkey this year was too much of a temptation so I'm picking up a Traeger Lil Tex Elite today after work.

I've checked around the net for turkey smoking recipes and there are a bunch. Do any of you have some favorites?

Last night I searched around trying to find a bird that hadn't been injected with brine but couldn't find one so I punted and picked up a twelve pounder. Can I still brine this bird or is it a complete waste of time? What other preparations should I undertake? What type of pellet? Any ideas on cooking time and temp?
                          I'm also thinking of smoking a turkey, and I was wondering what y'all think of filling the inside of the turkey with (beef) sausage and rice and then covering the bird with a bacon weave after the turkey skin starts to brown? Would the rice have to be cooked first, or would there be enough grease/juice to cook it?

My smoker is a little higher maintenance than your fancy ones, so temperature would have to be able to vary. Also, apple wood is the only wood I have, but that should be good with turkey, no?
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

The prospect of smoking a turkey this year was too much of a temptation so I'm picking up a Traeger Lil Tex Elite today after work.

Why would brining a 12-lb bird be a waste of time? If you're smoking it, all the more reason to brine it--it'll need the moisture (sorry smoker guys, but the smoked turkey i've had is usually on the drier side). Use [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zUEOnhF9OM"]Good Eats S1E14P2: Romancing The Bird - YouTube[/nomedia]. Delicious, and practically impossible to screw up.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                              I'm also thinking of smoking a turkey, and I was wondering what y'all think of filling the inside of the turkey with (beef) sausage and rice and then covering the bird with a bacon weave after the turkey skin starts to brown? Would the rice have to be cooked first, or would there be enough grease/juice to cook it?

My smoker is a little higher maintenance than your fancy ones, so temperature would have to be able to vary. Also, apple wood is the only wood I have, but that should be good with turkey, no?
                              Stuffing = Increased mass = increased cooking time = drier turkey.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Congrats. You'll love it. Exactly why I started this thread last year. I wanted a smoked turkey at Thanksgiving.

I was going to try this recipe this year but instead fell in love with the idea of frying.

If you still want a fresh no brine turkey, Harmons has fresh turkeys for about $2.19 a pound. I picked a twelve pounder yesterday. You can always throw the bird you bought yesterday into the freezer for future use.
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X