Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216169707172 LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 2134

Thread: Time to get serious about a new smoker.

I just found a great deal on a stumps classic. Any idea how To get this bohemoth into a trailer or truck?
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I just found a great deal on a stumps classic. Any idea how To get this bohemoth into a trailer or truck?
    Is that like a Bohemian behemoth?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark ďegg on your faceĒ! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Final piece in our back yard build...

20180611_123527.jpg

I had a junky propane grill that my wife brought into the marriage plus my Traeger, and I was hoping to replace both with one unit. Hence, the Memphis. So far, it has been perfect. Will smoke ribs at low temp and tonight I tried pizza for the first time at almost 700 deg. Honestly, it did a little bit better job than my pizza oven. It's also very efficient on pellets.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Final piece in our back yard build...

20180611_123527.jpg

I had a junky propane grill that my wife brought into the marriage plus my Traeger, and I was hoping to replace both with one unit. Hence, the Memphis. So far, it has been perfect. Will smoke ribs at low temp and tonight I tried pizza for the first time at almost 700 deg. Honestly, it did a little bit better job than my pizza oven. It's also very efficient on pellets.
    Looks awesome.

Where's the pool?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Looks awesome.

Where's the pool?
    After catching up on the pool thread this morning, I'm going to have to take some pics this weekend.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    That looks amazing, kc. I had our pool builder run a stub for a gas grill and a stub for a gas firepit. I had been thinking that I would have a gas grill built in and then a trager or other similar smoker around the corner (there's not enough room for both together on our patio). But I really like the idea of having both in one. How much smoke does this put off when you're smoking? Ours would be in relatively close proximity to the pool, so that would be a concern. Also, since it's wood-buring, were there any restrictions or extra code requirements for it to be built into the structure? (i.e. distance from house, etc.)
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark ďegg on your faceĒ! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    That looks amazing, kc. I had our pool builder run a stub for a gas grill and a stub for a gas firepit. I had been thinking that I would have a gas grill built in and then a trager or other similar smoker around the corner (there's not enough room for both together on our patio). But I really like the idea of having both in one. How much smoke does this put off when you're smoking? Ours would be in relatively close proximity to the pool, so that would be a concern. Also, since it's wood-buring, were there any restrictions or extra code requirements for it to be built into the structure? (i.e. distance from house, etc.)
    It doesn't seem to put off as much smoke as much as my Traeger did though it's certainly enough for the food. Not sure why except that it has dual fans inside circulating the smoke around the chamber, which I believe is one of the reasons it is more efficient.

I actually didn't ask about any requirements for location. I did have a guy build this in for me - not sure if he had to check on that either, but I'm not aware of any issues.

And mine is within a couple feet of my house (on the left of my photo).

Sweet setup! So I guess the next CS gathering is in KC's back yard?

Nice. That’s a nice set up. Looks great. My Memphis is almost 8 years old and going strong.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Okay. I need some help. Weíre making progress on the backyard and itís about time I figure out what the hell I want in the outdoor kitchen.

History: my experience is limited to gas grills. Nothing complicated. Burgers, chicken breasts, steaks. Nothing complicated. My kids are still pretty young, so good meat hasnít been high demand, but thatís improving. As is my available free time.

So moving forward, Iíd like to get something with some versatility. Something I can grill during the week and maybe slow cook on the weekend.

I do all the cooking at my house and Iím pretty competent within my role but my meat experience isnít very strong and Iím not super versed in types of cuts and all that fancy stuff. Iím kind of a sloppy cook and am not used to adhering to specific temperatures and timelines, but Iím open to exploring this if the results make it worth it.

I guess Iím looking for recommendations on types of devices and brands to look into that will allow me to hopefully grow into a better man doing man grill things. My design thought was to do some sort of built in with counter space and a mini fridge. Not super complicated. But I definitely donít want to do a build in if it ends up being something Iím not satisfied with, so even though Iíve ignored this thread for a long time, Iím hoping that the above info is enough for you to point me in a good direction. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

I am a total noob to some of this stuff.

But if it works with your setup, I can certainly recommend some sort of pellet grill. Until we got one, all we'd used in years was propane. Once we started cooking with wood pellets - and we used it a couple of times for burgers and other things we'd normally use propane for - my wife said "I'm not sure we'll ever use that propane grill again."

And she's probably right. The taste is just that much better.

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Okay. I need some help. Weíre making progress on the backyard and itís about time I figure out what the hell I want in the outdoor kitchen.

History: my experience is limited to gas grills. Nothing complicated. Burgers, chicken breasts, steaks. Nothing complicated. My kids are still pretty young, so good meat hasnít been high demand, but thatís improving. As is my available free time.

So moving forward, Iíd like to get something with some versatility. Something I can grill during the week and maybe slow cook on the weekend.

I do all the cooking at my house and Iím pretty competent within my role but my meat experience isnít very strong and Iím not super versed in types of cuts and all that fancy stuff. Iím kind of a sloppy cook and am not used to adhering to specific temperatures and timelines, but Iím open to exploring this if the results make it worth it.

I guess Iím looking for recommendations on types of devices and brands to look into that will allow me to hopefully grow into a better man doing man grill things. My design thought was to do some sort of built in with counter space and a mini fridge. Not super complicated. But I definitely donít want to do a build in if it ends up being something Iím not satisfied with, so even though Iíve ignored this thread for a long time, Iím hoping that the above info is enough for you to point me in a good direction. Thanks!

What's your budget?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

That Memphis setup KC is rocking seems pretty close to what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    What's your budget?
    Well, I just saved $750 on my sports court a couple of days ago for opting out of the Drum & Feather in the key, so at least that. Probably ~$1,500.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Well, I just saved $750 on my sports court a couple of days ago for opting out of the Drum & Feather in the key, so at least that. Probably ~$1,500.
    Not surprised.

Zoom in.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    That Memphis setup KC is rocking seems pretty close to what you are looking for.
    Hmmm. Looks like I might have to up my budget. Can I expose my extreme ignorance by asking what the biggest difference is between the Memphis vs Traeger or the $800 Louisiana that my Costco sells?

You could go with something clean and simple like this. Charcoal/wood burner on left, Lynx grill in the middle, and Big Green Egg on the right. Oh and a mini fridge to the right of the grill.
    DSC_0539-2.jpg

So I did my first of 2-3 big batches of pulled pork for the upcoming wedding. 14 butts. That was a ton of work. Doing a repeat sometime this week.

We are processing the cooked pork by pulling it, putting it into bags (1 butt per bag) and then vacuum sealing and freezing. Gearing up for this, I was worried about the vacuum sealing part. We have always struggled when vacuum sealing pork. The juice/grease gets sucked up to the top and then it is very difficult to get a good seal. Sometimes pushing down on the lid to increase pressure on the seal does the trick, but it is a huge PITA. We have resorted to putting the bags in the freezer for a while before sealing but that kind of defeats whole hurry-and-seal-before-it-oxidizes logic. And sometimes we lose track of time. And in this case we are talking very large quantities of meat in large bags.

So in light of this, I did some research into getting a commercial grade vacuum sealer (I have a Food Saver model). I did a ton of research. Prices go all the way up to $1300 bucks or so (yikes) and some of them use positive pressure instead of a vacuum. In the end I opted for this one (see image below).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cost = $239 so more than a typical consumer model, but cheaper than most heavy duty models. New company with one product, but the reviews were great. We have been using it for a few weeks, but the big batch of pork was the real test and this little baby came through like a champ. Did the sealing while the meat was hot and juicy and not a single bad seal. It has strong suction, a wide seal, manual pulse and seal mode, and you can select the number of seconds on the seal (default = 4). Fantastic sealer.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I sold my first smoker over the weekend (WSM). Now...what do I replace it with???

I sold my first smoker over the weekend (WSM). Now...what do I replace it with???
    What happened to the deal that you had lined up the other day? The one that needed a trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    What happened to the deal that you had lined up the other day? The one that needed a trailer?
    I FaceTimed with the owner, and it was in really bad shape. I should have known given the price.

A bigger smoker.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, ďspectator discipleshipĒ is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Anyone ever heard of Rebel smokers? It appears they're affiliated with (or were perhaps bought out by) Assasin smokers.

I found a decent deal a few hours from me, but I just can't find out much info on them.

Never heard of them. Get a Yoder. You wonít be disappointed.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, ďspectator discipleshipĒ is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Never heard of them. Get a Yoder. You won’t be disappointed.
    I'm considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Never heard of them. Get a Yoder. You won’t be disappointed.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

https://www.yodersmokers.com/ys1500-pellet-grill.html

or if you are a real baller....

yoder cimmaron.jpg
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III