Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    50-75 degrees? That doesn't sound like the variation in temperature you should expect. I don't give the variation a second though, to be honest. I might kick the temperature up or down based upon how fast things are moving, but I think you should expect you temperature to be close to the setting. Where are you taking the temperature? My smoker has it's own thermometer displayed digitally on the controller, and I've used another thermometer near the rack to confirm the temperature, and it's within 5 degrees or so.
    The smoker has two thermometers mounted on the hatch. So, they're a decent distance from the grate.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      The smoker has two thermometers mounted on the hatch. So, they're a decent distance from the grate.
      Sounds like a calibration problem.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Check the ball bearings.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Check the ball bearings.
          It's all ball bearings these days.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• ball bearings.jpg

Comment

It’s a Yoder thing. I’m looking for an upgrade and was just reading on the Yoder site. The damper makes an impact to your cook technique. I’ve never seen another pellet cooker do that. Once you get it down it’ll be a piece of cake.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

I had my first smoke last weekend, and I kept it short and sweet. Two whole chickens and a pork loin. I cut the loin in thirds before smoking, vacuum sealed them, and put them in the freezer. The chickens were both really good.

Something that surprised me: the thermometer temperatures were 50-75 degrees cooler than the temperature I set on the smoker. I later learned that the temperature I set is for an approximated temperature of the grate in the center of the cooker, and that you have to tinker with your temperature controls, dampers, and placement of the meat to achieve your results.

I was honestly a little disappointed in that aspect, but the food was great, and cleanup was easy.
                Mine was the same way. It isn’t a calibration issue, I checked with a boiling water test. I think you can change the calibration on the controller so it matches the door thermos. Honestly though, it never really bothered me. I use a thermoworks smoke with 2 grill temp probes, one on each side of the grate. I really like the way the 1500 cooks. However, I wasn’t using it very much and I sold it and picked up a small Traeger. So I have come full circle. I have no desire to cook for the masses any longer and the small Traeger is perfect for me and my family.
                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                  Mine was the same way. It isn’t a calibration issue, I checked with a boiling water test. I think you can change the calibration on the controller so it matches the door thermos. Honestly though, it never really bothered me. I use a thermoworks smoke with 2 grill temp probes, one on each side of the grate. I really like the way the 1500 cooks. However, I wasn’t using it very much and I sold it and picked up a small Traeger. So I have come full circle. I have no desire to cook for the masses any longer and the small Traeger is perfect for me and my family.
                  I have a small Traeger, too. We have so much in common!
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    I have a small Traeger, too. We have so much in common!
                    I want a small traeger. Does that count?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      I want a small traeger. Does that count?
                      Good enough for me. Welcome, brother!
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Traeger is launching a new line of grills today. Big new feature appears to be that the new grills will all be equipped with WiFi compatability.
                        Last edited by All-American; 03-15-2019, 11:57 AM.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          Traeger is launching a new line of grills today. Big new feature appears to be that the new grills will all be equipped with WiFi comparability.
                          Awesome, maybe I can get a good deal on one of the old ones now.

Comment

• I guess I've had my Traeger for 6 or 7 years now. Recently it's been emitting a shrill squeal when the auger first starts up. I'm not sure if it's the auger itself or the motor or something else, but the noise goes away after a few minutes. I emailed Traeger, and got an ESL reply that said there's no procedure for maintenance, but they can sell me new parts. Anybody else get the shrill noises from their augers?

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                              I guess I've had my Traeger for 6 or 7 years now. Recently it's been emitting a shrill squeal when the auger first starts up. I'm not sure if it's the auger itself or the motor or something else, but the noise goes away after a few minutes. I emailed Traeger, and got an ESL reply that said there's no procedure for maintenance, but they can sell me new parts. Anybody else get the shrill noises from their augers?
                              Mine does that when it is cold. If I immediately turn it off and then back on again, it instantly goes away.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Mine does that when it is cold. If I immediately turn it off and then back on again, it instantly goes away.
                                Same. I have this problem in the winter, not in the spring/summer/fall.

So when it starts to get cold...I don't keep any pellets in the hopper. That fixes the issue. It has to do something with the weight of the pellets on the auger when it's cold.

I start the Traeger up with about 2" of pellets I the hopper....once it gets going I fill it halfway and monitor. No longer having any issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X