Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 236371727374 LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2192

Thread: Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Same. I have this problem in the winter, not in the spring/summer/fall.

So when it starts to get cold...I don't keep any pellets in the hopper. That fixes the issue. It has to do something with the weight of the pellets on the auger when it's cold.

I start the Traeger up with about 2" of pellets I the hopper....once it gets going I fill it halfway and monitor. No longer having any issues.
    Yes, exactly. It is only a cold weather problem for me.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Same. I have this problem in the winter, not in the spring/summer/fall.

So when it starts to get cold...I don't keep any pellets in the hopper. That fixes the issue. It has to do something with the weight of the pellets on the auger when it's cold.

I start the Traeger up with about 2" of pellets I the hopper....once it gets going I fill it halfway and monitor. No longer having any issues.
    Interesting. I almost always scoop all the pellets out of the hopper after a cook, so that if I want to use different pellets on a subsequent cook, it's easy, and I don't have to remember what's already in there. I basically don't have anything in the hopper - just what's already in the auger - when I start up the smoker.

I cooked a couple of pork shoulders Saturday night, and the smoker didn't squeal when I started it up this time. So it comes and goes.

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

WD-40
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    WD-40
    Delicious!
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Update on the YS1500. I think I just had a patience issue (shocker?!). Due to the heavy steel and size of the chamber, after about 75 minutes of pre-heat, the temperature guages on the hatch were only about 15-20 degrees cooler than the digital temp (estimated temperature in the middle of the bottom grate), which makes sense.

I have a semi-big smoke this weekend that I auctioned off last year for a fundraiser. two briskets and four racks of ribs. I feel like ribs lose some of that awesome flavor when FTC'd, but in this instance, I don't really have a choice due to drop off (an hour away). Wish me luck!
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Update on the YS1500. I think I just had a patience issue (shocker?!). Due to the heavy steel and size of the chamber, after about 75 minutes of pre-heat, the temperature guages on the hatch were only about 15-20 degrees cooler than the digital temp (estimated temperature in the middle of the bottom grate), which makes sense.

I have a semi-big smoke this weekend that I auctioned off last year for a fundraiser. two briskets and four racks of ribs. I feel like ribs lose some of that awesome flavor when FTC'd, but in this instance, I don't really have a choice due to drop off (an hour away). Wish me luck!
    I have noticed the same thing. Ribs are best straight off the smoker.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I have noticed the same thing. Ribs are best straight off the smoker.
    I agree also. I thinks it’s hard to get better restaurant ribs than what you can do at home. I think that’s the first thing that jumped out at me when I first got into smoking. The initial shock of eating restaurant ribs after eating my own was shocking.

GM, one thing I might try to do is pull them off smoker about 15 minutes earlier than you normally would. They’ll keep cooking while wrapped and hopefully will avoid mushy ribs. Just a thought.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Okay gang, for Memorial Day I am smoking 4 briskets (9-10 pounds) and four pork shoulders (8-9 pounds). If it were you, how much additional time would you add to the overall smoke time due to volume of meat?

Okay gang, for Memorial Day I am smoking 4 briskets (9-10 pounds) and four pork shoulders (8-9 pounds). If it were you, how much additional time would you add to the overall smoke time due to volume of meat?
    Start smoking them now.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Hello, everyone. This is a grilling post only! My family gave me a Traeger Timberline 850 for Father's Day, and I'm a newbie to pellet grills. (I got rid of the Big Green Egg -- too much work.) I'm hoping someone here has some insights.

Here's my question. I'm taking baby steps and plan to cook a whole chicken tonight. The recipe I have says, "Preheat your grill on 'smoke' for 4-5 minutes with the lid open. Set the temperature to high, and close the lid and preheat for an additional 10-15 minutes until it reaches 450 degrees." The recipe is for earlier Traeger models; the Timberline 850 has a Super Smoke option that doesn't work above 225 degrees. So what do I do? Skip the "smoke" portion of the recipe and simply cook at 450? Or is there another option? Thanks for any ideas.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-21-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The 'smoke' portion of the warm-up is only to get the pellets lit and clear out start-up smoke. Then you heat up to operating temp. Don't over-think it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    The 'smoke' portion of the warm-up is only to get the pellets lit and clear out start-up smoke. Then you heat up to operating temp. Don't over-think it.
    Thanks for helping a newbie out.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Default Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Got this response on a meat smoker forum:

The recipe you’re seeing is from a old cookbook or original Traeger recipe. The old elite controllers always started with the lid open for 4 minutes then close the lid and set the temperature on the grill. When you do a chicken on high it’s a roasted chicken, not smoked. It’s actually quite good that way. Your new grill you can just turn it on and set the temperature that you want. Skip the step with lid open.
    Traeger Timberline owners....
    ― W.H. Auden

Trouble in grill paradise:

On July 16, Traeger Pellet Grills, which is listed as a limited liability company out of Delaware but has its headquarters in Salt Lake City, filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Tampa, Florida, against Joseph Traeger, Brian Traeger and Mark Traeger. The complaint accuses Joe and Brian Traeger of breaching a contract and “trying to sell their brand and likeness twice, to the detriment of the company they founded and the employees that work there.”
    https://www.ksl.com/article/46636448...der-competitor

Proud of the missus right now. I gave her a run-through on how to use the pellet smoker, and she smoked a couple of chickens for dinner. I forgot how delicious and juicy freshly smoked chicken is.

More trouble in Traeger-land.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46652659...pellet-quality

A California man filed a class-action lawsuit against a Utah grilling company last week, accusing it of selling watered-down pellets that don’t match the quality it promises.
    In the lawsuit, Yates alleges Traeger “wrongfully and unfairly deceived the public and its customers by misrepresenting that its wood pellets comprise one type of wood, when in fact the pellets comprise a different type of less expensive wood containing flavored oils to masquerade as more expensive, sought-after grilling woods.”

For example, Yates claims that the company’s hickory and mesquite wood BBQ pellets didn’t contain hickory or mesquite wood, but “less expensive wood” with hickory and mesquite flavored oils added to it, and that “the type of wood used in smoking and grilling is of utmost importance to backyard grillers and champion pitmasters alike.”
    Any of you considering joining the class? I bet in the end the class gets some discount coupons for more pellets and the lawyers get millions in fees. You could also opt out of the class and attempt to file your own action against Traeger.
    Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 10-09-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Any of you considering joining the class? I bet in the end the class gets some discount coupons for more pellets and the lawyers get millions in fees. You could also opt out of the class and attempt to file your own action against Traeger.
    This has been a rumor for years. Will be interesting to see if it pans out. I typically by BBQ Delight for this reason.

I had a pretty big screw up on Monday morning with my Yoder. I was cooking three briskets and a whole chicken for a work event. The briskets had been on for about 10 hours and were stalled at 180. So, I placed them to the far left (directly over the fire chamber) and had myself a grease fire. I was able to save the meat, although I lost some hair and eyebrows in the process. I doused the flames with flour, but now I have to see what damage the fire caused, and I'm a little nervous top turn it back on.

I had a pretty big screw up on Monday morning with my Yoder. I was cooking three briskets and a whole chicken for a work event. The briskets had been on for about 10 hours and were stalled at 180. So, I placed them to the far left (directly over the fire chamber) and had myself a grease fire. I was able to save the meat, although I lost some hair and eyebrows in the process. I doused the flames with flour, but now I have to see what damage the fire caused, and I'm a little nervous top turn it back on.
    Always a good look. Glad you are ok, those can be scary.

I cleaned the smoker out thoroughly after the loss to USF. It runs well. It is working just fine, as far as I can tell.

Question: do Traegers use fans? My Yoder has two, and I think it causes the cooker to work like a convection oven (requiring lower temps to get the same job done).

I cleaned the smoker out thoroughly after the loss to USF. It runs well. It is working just fine, as far as I can tell.

Question: do Traegers use fans? My Yoder has two, and I think it causes the cooker to work like a convection oven (requiring lower temps to get the same job done).
    Yes they do.

I thought they all had fans. My Camp Chef has one, and I believe it works to keep an even temperature throughout the smoker.

So, I'm thinking of getting a smoker. I've read much of this thread but many of the links in earlier posts, both to specific brands/models and to reviews are broken our outdated. There have been a lot of upgrades and different models come out over the years.

Here are my criteria/considerations:
    • I've never done any smoker cooking before, ever. I'm a complete noob.
    • I''ll only be cooking for me and my family. I'm not interested in doing big cooks for the ward or other groups. The neighborhood already has plenty of folks that take on that role.
    • Cost is not really a issue but that doesn't mean I need professional-grade or competition-grade stuff. Neither do I want the cheapest crap there is. I generally look for the best value (price/features combination).
    • I have a Costco membership

Based on my noob status and the other criteria above, what types of smokers would folks recommend?

So, I'm thinking of getting a smoker. I've read much of this thread but many of the links in earlier posts, both to specific brands/models and to reviews are broken our outdated. There have been a lot of upgrades and different models come out over the years.

• I''ll only be cooking for me and my family. I'm not interested in doing big cooks for the ward or other groups. The neighborhood already has plenty of folks that take on that role.
    • Cost is not really a issue but that doesn't mean I need professional-grade or competition-grade stuff. Neither do I want the cheapest crap there is. I generally look for the best value (price/features combination).

Based on my noob status and the other criteria above, what types of smokers would folks recommend?
    I'm still a noob, but my pellet smoker has been great. If you follow the Dude's instructions, you can't go wrong. I thought about getting a smoker for a couple of years or more, but didn't because I was intimidated by it. I thought it would be a huge commitment. I was shocked at how easy it was to use and maintain it. I'm still learning and honing my techniques, but my family loves that I smoke.

Pellet smokers are definitely the easiest for maintaining a constant temperature - pretty much set it and forget it.

A couple features I'd like (but don't have):

Ash dump
    Pellet dump

I also like the wider openings they have on the new model of Traeger I saw at Costco - seems like it should be able to handle more food per square inch of cooking surface.

If you're only going to be cooking for your family, no need to get the larger models.

I like that ours has double the metal on the bottom side. It should help with efficiency (more insulation) and temperature stabilization. I think the new model doubles up all the way around.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Get a pellet smoker for sure. Traeger is a safe choice, but there are tons of options. Have fun.

Value without needing large quantities? Consider a kamado. Pizza, smoked meats, grilled foods, s'mores, an extra oven for your turkey at Thanksgiving, etc. - all in one.

Edit: I have never owned a pellet grill, but they are quite popular, as evidenced on this site and elsewhere.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

I apologize for the shameless plug, but if any of you live in Utah and are interested in being a class rep (while potentially earning an incentive fee), PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    I apologize for the shameless plug, but if any of you live in Utah and are interested in being a class rep (while potentially earning an incentive fee), PM me.
    What is a "class rep"?

Default Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    What is a "class rep"?
    Basically be the face of the class action claim/complaint.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock