Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 206068697071 LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 2102

Thread: Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    My Traeger has served me well for many years, but I'm putting in a backyard in the new house and looking to build a small outdoor kitchen of sorts - no more than a countertop/bar with built-in smoker/grill really. I'm looking for a combination unit that I can grill and smoke on, and right now I'm leaning toward the Yoder 640. Any advice for or against trying to do an all-in-one set up?
    I like my setup. I’ve got a large natural gas grill that is built in with a sink and a decent size counter. My smoker is on wheels and sits in the corner. I just wheel it out when I want to use it. It would be nice to have it built in, but I don’t really have the space and I prefer to have a gas grill built in as it’s easier to use and I do use it more frequently.

I love my Yoder. It’s been great. I don’t use it hardly enough but with the temps finally getting nice I’ll start using it more often. I haven’t used it for grilling. I need more space than it offers since when we grill we usually have people over so I can easily cover my 30 inch grill with food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Finally got the 1300 running decent. I still wont use the super smoke mode because they don't have the controls for it dialed n well enough not to create soot, but everything else is pretty rock solid. Traeger replaced everything from the fire-pot back to the hopper (fire-pot, auger, auger tube, pellet hopper, controller, all electronics). I am still not sure it is any better than a basic model. It will get up to 500+ degrees. I grilled some skirt steak the other day. I let it sit at 500° for about 30 min to get everything nice and hot before I seared the meat. It isn't a replacement for charcoal but it did well enough. I don't use the WiFi or app all that much. Only cool feature is I can program the smoker to run at 180° for the first 4 hours and then ramp up to 275-300° to finish. My only other gripe is that Traeger has the UUID of the controller and can look at the entire cook to troubleshoot any issues, but the consumer does not have access to that information. It would be nice if the app included a data logger like the Stoker and Bbq Guru does.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Has anyone had problems with mice in their smokers? I keep mine (the smoker, not the mice) very tightly wrapped up with the Traeger standard cover, using a bungee cord to bring each of the bottom ends closer together. I'd been doing that to keep the wind from blowing the thing off; I hadn't thought of varmints. Two weeks ago, when I opened things up I was surprised to see the foil liner had been broken up into tiny pieces, but since I hadn't used the thing for a couple of months, and the liner was pretty old, I thought it was due to age and degradation. So I cleaned everything out, put new foil on, cooked up some delicious prime ribeye (decided not to go with stir fry), and that was that. Until this evening...

Once again, the foil was torn up into confetti, and I found a couple of mice turds at the bottom of the Traeg. On the plus side, the grease bucket--which I confess I had allowed to accumulate an inch or so of steak/tri-tip/prime rib fat--had been licked clean and there's lot less grease inside the drain. So now I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. It's as if the cast of Ratatouille is performing post-prandial clean-up for us.

Going forward, I'm going to patch up a couple of small holes in the cover (the part that covers the smokestack), tighten up the cover even more, and leave the grease bucket and chimney lid out for easy access. I'll likely put out a trap or two eventually, but I'm not clear on whether I'm dealing with friend or foe. Anyone else have to deal with visits from Mickey and Minnie?

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Has anyone had problems with mice in their smokers? I keep mine (the smoker, not the mice) very tightly wrapped up with the Traeger standard cover, using a bungee cord to bring each of the bottom ends closer together. I'd been doing that to keep the wind from blowing the thing off; I hadn't thought of varmints. Two weeks ago, when I opened things up I was surprised to see the foil liner had been broken up into tiny pieces, but since I hadn't used the thing for a couple of months, and the liner was pretty old, I thought it was due to age and degradation. So I cleaned everything out, put new foil on, cooked up some delicious prime ribeye (decided not to go with stir fry), and that was that. Until this evening...

Once again, the foil was torn up into confetti, and I found a couple of mice turds at the bottom of the Traeg. On the plus side, the grease bucket--which I confess I had allowed to accumulate an inch or so of steak/tri-tip/prime rib fat--had been licked clean and there's lot less grease inside the drain. So now I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. It's as if the cast of Ratatouille is performing post-prandial clean-up for us.

Going forward, I'm going to patch up a couple of small holes in the cover (the part that covers the smokestack), tighten up the cover even more, and leave the grease bucket and chimney lid out for easy access. I'll likely put out a trap or two eventually, but I'm not clear on whether I'm dealing with friend or foe. Anyone else have to deal with visits from Mickey and Minnie?
    225 for half an hour. Hickory, but maybe oak if you have it.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I think Camp Chef reads CS. They now have a smoker with a side burner. Well, actually it's a sear box.

Attachment 8049
    Speaking of Camp Chef, I can pick one of these up for quite cheap through a special military discount. Anyone know if I'm losing out on quality going with this brand?

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

No problem with mice in my smoker. Of course, the doghouse is right next to it so I doubt mice even dare get close. Come to think of it, we have no live varmints in our backyard, although we do find the random dead squirrel, snake, or lizard from time to time. Having a Jack Russell has its benefits.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

My day so far:

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Occasion? Recipe?
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Um, thanksgiving is next week.

Feeding a crowd tonight.

Simple brine: 1/2 salt, 1/2 sugar per gallon. Soak for 12 hours.

Smoking at 225 degrees with hickory. Typically, his takes about 8 hrs. But 4 hrs in and they are almost done. Going to be holding for a while.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

They look nice in the picture. I'll be interested to hear how they taste.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Hopefully this will be the last thread bump for me for a long while. The Timberline just wasn't doing it for me so hopefully this will be better. I smoked a small 10lb brisket yesterday and let the cook get away from me a bit since I was busy watching the Masters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Yoder!!

“let it get away from me”

lol knock it off you turkey
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I saw this on FB and was pretty jealous. I troll craigslist for high quality smokers and come up empty handed. How are you finding these gems, DT?
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I saw this on FB and was pretty jealous. I troll craigslist for high quality smokers and come up empty handed. How are you finding these gems, DT?
    I found this one on a Yoder smoker page on FB. Can’t say I’ve seen one in Utah, but have seen them come up in AZ and Colorado. And a bunch back east.

Your stock vested in February. Just buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Your stock vested in February. Just buy a new one.
    Have you seen our stock price??!! Haha.

https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/52148527

If you want to one up Lebowski!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/52148527

If you want to one up Lebowski!
    Wow, that is a big smoker! Kind of ugly though.

So we have decided to do pulled pork sliders for my daughters wedding reception in August. I will be cooking 20 or so butts. Given the catering bids we have received prior to making this decision, the cost savings on this one event will cover most of the cost of my Stumps smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Wow, that is a big smoker! Kind of ugly though.

So we have decided to do pulled pork sliders for my daughters wedding reception in August. I will be cooking 20 or so butts. Given the catering bids we have received prior to making this decision, the cost savings on this one event will cover most of the cost of my Stumps smoker.
    Which model do you have? I'm thinking about travelling long distance for an XL Baby (or is it Baby XL?), but I'm not sure how I'm going to transport it.

Which model do you have? I'm thinking about travelling long distance for an XL Baby (or is it Baby XL?), but I'm not sure how I'm going to transport it.
    The Classic:

https://stumpssmokers.com/the-classic/

Wow, the price has gone way up. We negotiated the price down to ~$3200 then paid about $800 for freight from Georgia -> Utah.

The Classic:

https://stumpssmokers.com/the-classic/

Wow, the price has gone way up. We negotiated the price down to ~$3200 then paid about $800 for freight from Georgia -> Utah.
    Nice. I'm looking at a trailer with two Stumps smokers mounted on it (a stretch and a junior). My kids and I have been thinking of business ideas for the summer, and I think we can get some traction with BBQ. Plus the added mobility is nice. Now to convince the Mrs.!!!!

Nice. I'm looking at a trailer with two Stumps smokers mounted on it (a stretch and a junior). My kids and I have been thinking of business ideas for the summer, and I think we can get some traction with BBQ. Plus the added mobility is nice. Now to convince the Mrs.!!!!
    Ahh...another nice part about living in Texas, am I right? California isn't as friendly as that.

I have seen guys who travel the city celebration circuit in Utah and sell BBQ plate dinners. Pulled pork sandwiches with sides for $10/plate. I have done this enough to know I can do that for cost of ~$2.50 per plate, including plates, utensils, etc. Or less. I wouldn't want to do it for a living, but it would be fun to do on the side with some kids.

I have seen guys who travel the city celebration circuit in Utah and sell BBQ plate dinners. Pulled pork sandwiches with sides for $10/plate. I have done this enough to know I can do that for cost of ~$2.50 per plate, including plates, utensils, etc. Or less. I wouldn't want to do it for a living, but it would be fun to do on the side with some kids.
    I remember a gig that DT and I did for a 60th Wedding Anniversary. 125 people. We did chicken and a handful of side. It was in July. We set a record level for temperatures for that day at 108 degrees. I think it took both of us probably 4 days to recover from the heat stroke. It was bad. I probably drank 6-8 32 oz. Gatorade's, and close to a gallon of water for the 8 hours that we were there. I didn't pee once.

That's when you start to reassess life. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    I remember a gig that DT and I did for a 60th Wedding Anniversary. 125 people. We did chicken and a handful of side. It was in July. We set a record level for temperatures for that day at 108 degrees. I think it took both of us probably 4 days to recover from the heat stroke. It was bad. I probably drank 6-8 32 oz. Gatorade's, and close to a gallon of water for the 8 hours that we were there. I didn't pee once.

That's when you start to reassess life. Lol.
    My goodness. 108 degrees would be brutal.

I guess I'm in the game!

Got a Cabela's gift card a little bit back, then came a 10% off email yesterday. So I went looking with my wife, and she told the salesman we'd take one of the Cabela's name brand pellet grills. I've been looking at various models and types for years - but she decided she wanted something simple that she could use if she wanted to when I wasn't there. And that (to her) meant pellet grill.

I know it's not necessarily top of the line - but the display model looked pretty solid and reviews were good. It's at home now, waiting for me to put it together so I can try it out this weekend. Just gotta decide what to cook first.

If I waited until I could afford the one I "really" want, I'd be waiting a while longer. So I'm excited to get in the game now with what I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I guess I'm in the game!

Got a Cabela's gift card a little bit back, then came a 10% off email yesterday. So I went looking with my wife, and she told the salesman we'd take one of the Cabela's name brand pellet grills. I've been looking at various models and types for years - but she decided she wanted something simple that she could use if she wanted to when I wasn't there. And that (to her) meant pellet grill.

I know it's not necessarily top of the line - but the display model looked pretty solid and reviews were good. It's at home now, waiting for me to put it together so I can try it out this weekend. Just gotta decide what to cook first.

If I waited until I could afford the one I "really" want, I'd be waiting a while longer. So I'm excited to get in the game now with what I've got.
    I started smoking ribs with a $40 charcoal grill from Wal-Mart. They were still pretty dang tasty!

My goodness. 108 degrees would be brutal.
    Yeah...if the heat wasn't enough, standing next to the trailer was like sitting on the surface of the sun.