No announcement yet.

I had a colonoscopy today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to mention that, based on a couple of conversations I overheard, a couple of patients got bad news on their colonoscopies yesterday. It sounded as if at least one discovered a fair amount of cancer, where none was previously known. Sad day for someone; better to get checked early than to get a diagnosis like that.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
      Well, I joined the club today. Whenever I'd give blood the last couple of years, they'd tell me I was borderline anemic, so, along with a blood test, my doctor thought I ought to get the colon checked, too. Instead of going with the liquid diet only on the last day, I started three days early, hoping to clean things out before the magnesium citrate did. It probably helped - I thought I was pretty clean when starting the process - but I never realized how full of crap I was. Fun, fun.

The doc said I was clean as a whistle, come back in 10 years. The blood test said my thyroid was the problem.

Welcome to the club....and congrats on a clean bill of health!
      "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
        And that's why I continue to put it off. My doctor wants me to have one, but I don't really want to go through the preparation experience.
        I've managed to put this off for more than seven years, but tomorrow's the day. I get to keep drinking only clear liquids until 4:00 today, then the fun begins. The preparation starts three days in advance, cutting down on fiber and eating specific foods, then all clear liquids, then the stimulant laxative, then a gallon of that GaviLyte-G stuff.

I'm guessing that I won't get a good night's sleep tonight.

Comment

I've managed to put this off for more than seven years, but tomorrow's the day. I get to keep drinking only clear liquids until 4:00 today, then the fun begins. The preparation starts three days in advance, cutting down on fiber and eating specific foods, then all clear liquids, then the stimulant laxative, then a gallon of that GaviLyte-G stuff.

I'm guessing that I won't get a good night's sleep tonight.
          Just sit down and enjoy the experience.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Brings back memories of one of my favorite posts on Cougarboard.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...html?id=644727
            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
              Brings back memories of one of my favorite posts on Cougarboard.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...html?id=644727
              That is classic.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I'm having a hard time getting down even the second 8 oz. glass of GaviLyte. How on earth am I going to get down six more of those this evening?

Comment

I'm having a hard time getting down even the second 8 oz. glass of GaviLyte. How on earth am I going to get down six more of those this evening?
                  enema
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Think of this young lady encouraging you.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I know a lot of you are getting older here. Trust me on this, when it’s time for your colonoscopy ask for Prepopik. It’s just tablets and water, works well, and is much easier to tolerate.
                      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Epilogue: I managed to drink all of that stuff as required, half a gallon the evening before, half a gallon that morning. The stuff took almost the full two hours to start to work. Drinking it was definitely worse than the effects it caused. After finishing off the full gallon, everything was coming out clear. I was amazed. That's one way to lose five pounds in two days. Checked my scale just to be sure.

At the medical center it started off with removing all clothing and putting on one of those hospital gowns that leaves your backside exposed. They hooked up an IV, stuck one of those plastic oxygen thingies on my nose, told me they were going to start the drugs and the next thing I know I'm in recovery. Couldn't even feel where they had done the exploring when it was all over. I guess it all went great, but they didn't really tell me anything after. I'm supposed to get some sort of summary message at some point.

I wanted to have a nice meal afterward, but had a light snack and fell asleep for at least four hours afterward. Ate a light meal after that and I think I'm all back to normal. They tell me I'm supposed to do this again in five years. We'll see about that.

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                          I know a lot of you are getting older here. Trust me on this, when it’s time for your colonoscopy ask for Prepopik. It’s just tablets and water, works well, and is much easier to tolerate.
                          i have a few more colonoscopies (had my first a few months ago) in my future due to family history - I will remember this.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            i have a few more colonoscopies (had my first a few months ago) in my future due to family history - I will remember this.
                            I did not pass this info onto my wife (it costs money), but will keep it in mind for myself when the time comes.

Comment

Epilogue: I managed to drink all of that stuff as required, half a gallon the evening before, half a gallon that morning. The stuff took almost the full two hours to start to work. Drinking it was definitely worse than the effects it caused. After finishing off the full gallon, everything was coming out clear. I was amazed. That's one way to lose five pounds in two days. Checked my scale just to be sure.

At the medical center it started off with removing all clothing and putting on one of those hospital gowns that leaves your backside exposed. They hooked up an IV, stuck one of those plastic oxygen thingies on my nose, told me they were going to start the drugs and the next thing I know I'm in recovery. Couldn't even feel where they had done the exploring when it was all over. I guess it all went great, but they didn't really tell me anything after. I'm supposed to get some sort of summary message at some point.

I wanted to have a nice meal afterward, but had a light snack and fell asleep for at least four hours afterward. Ate a light meal after that and I think I'm all back to normal. They tell me I'm supposed to do this again in five years. We'll see about that.
                              Five years? Do you have a family history or did they find some benign polyps? Fortunately for me, I got the ten year pass.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                                Five years? Do you have a family history or did they find some benign polyps? Fortunately for me, I got the ten year pass.
                                Yes, ten years. Apparently the stuff they knocked me out with yesterday hasn't completely worn off or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X